Black screen after XBMC exit.
I have the most recent release of Raspbian Wheezy running on my RPi. I installed XBMC following these instructions.
The only other thing I have installed is Midnight Commander so it's a pretty fresh install.

When I exit XBMC via the GUI I get a black screen which prevents all user interaction. I can't change my terminal using Ctrl+Alt+Fx but I can SSH through to the RPi and restart it.

What is causing this and more importantly, how can I fix this problem?

I would appreciate your help on this.

P.S. I have created another thread with a different problem I am having with XBMC.
Just in case anyone was wondering if the solution in my last thread solved this problem; it did not. They seem to be two separate problems.
Ok, I woke up, started XBMC and then exited it via the GUI. I received the black screen again as usual so I ate my breakfast had a shower and came back to see:

Code:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ xbmc
no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ _

What does "no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory" mean? How can I fix this?

Is this problem specific to the RPi? If not, should I go to "XBMC General Help and Support?

Thanks for any help!
(2013-04-03, 06:44)ElectroCode Wrote: What does "no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory" mean? How can I fix this?

Is this problem specific to the RPi? If not, should I go to "XBMC General Help and Support?

Seems to be a libsmbclient bug:
https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8449

I'd suggest not using samba (for many reasons).
Hello again popcorn,

It seems that message is unrelated to the black screen issue. Thanks for pointing me to that bug. Now I know XBMC isn't the root cause of that message I was getting on the command prompt.

After leaving XBMC idle for 3 minutes the screen dims as normal but strangely I can see the command prompt fade in behind XBMC which reveals "no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory".

Anyone have a clue of what on earth is going on here?

Thanks.

(2013-04-03, 13:58)ElectroCode Wrote: After leaving XBMC idle for 3 minutes the screen dims as normal but strangely I can see the command prompt fade in behind XBMC which reveals "no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory".

A problem with using an unofficial deb file, compared to a distibution like openelec/raspbmc where things have been more carefully set up.

Basically the framebuffer console is not being removed, and it really should be. You can to add the xbmc launching script:
tvservice -o && tvservice -p
which will have the effect of removing the console. You will then find when you quit xbmc, you still have no console, so you can recover it with:
fbset -depth 8 && fbset -depth 16
I don't even see the code anymore. All I see is blond... brunette... redhead...
(2013-04-03, 14:22)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-04-03, 13:58)ElectroCode Wrote: After leaving XBMC idle for 3 minutes the screen dims as normal but strangely I can see the command prompt fade in behind XBMC which reveals "no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory".

A problem with using an unofficial deb file, compared to a distibution like openelec/raspbmc where things have been more carefully set up.

Basically the framebuffer console is not being removed, and it really should be. You can to add the xbmc launching script:
tvservice -o && tvservice -p
which will have the effect of removing the console. You will then find when you quit xbmc, you still have no console, so you can recover it with:
fbset -depth 8 && fbset -depth 16

Thankyou yet again popcorn. I'm going to backup the SD card and try the distros you mentioned. Hopefully I run into less problems. I also have another problem (can't type text) which I won't bother asking for help for if the distros route works out.

Like Thomas Edison said:
Quote:I haven't failed, I've found 10000 ways that don't work

(2013-04-03, 14:48)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't even see the code anymore. All I see is blond... brunette... redhead...

LOL! Nice one Cypher!
(2013-04-03, 13:36)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-04-03, 06:44)ElectroCode Wrote: What does "no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory" mean? How can I fix this?

I'd suggest not using samba (for many reasons).

Please, someone inform how I implement solution for this?
Can a script go in init.d somewhere? I've never attempted init.d edit.

I'm Currently set up with latest stable mythbuntu distro with Samba automagically configured (Probably in trouble for posting here). Added PPA for xbmc after updates. Crashes unless i reboot within the day, and this is only error i can find which maybe causing issue (6.3.6 Samba with security updates).
Also heard NFS can be challenging if you have Vista and other networked machines as i do.
Didn't have this issue with last stable release. Maybe re-install last stable version of Mythbuntu and just lock in the old version of samba before updates? XBMC launches from /home/userfolder/.config/autostart (or something), not init.d as far as i know.
Please inform where i can post, I've searched for this issue on forum and this one was most relevant i could find.

Oh, posting here since XBMC is (htop) is eating memory and freezing, not Samba or Mythtv. System runs fine after killall -9 xbmc.bin from ssh (if i catch the memory leak in time).

thanks in advance for any help, or redirects!
-thanks
(2014-01-29, 19:36)alientrader Wrote: popcornmix

any support available for that? Should i regress to older distro?

It's not a Pi specific bug, nor even an xbmc specific bug. You need to complain to the libsmbclient people.
I don't believe it's fatal. The memory leaked may be a trivial amount.
Personally, I'd switch to nfs which has much better performance.
thanks, this helps!

I'll keep looking. And good to know the memory leak could be minimal.
Likely issue with other, i just can't guess what. Wouldn't be first time i got an error that was actually a warning, such as this
http://askubuntu.com/questions/287512/du...resource-0

My previous Mythbuntu/xbmc system was stable, and at some point I tried netflixbmc and soon after i got random crashes.
After that i tried to re-install and since then I was never able to get the system stable again (base install, no netflixbmc).
Was just a coincidence the system started crashing after installing netflixbmc i guess now.
Could have been one of the many updates. No idea which.
Best case scenario i presume, i would know which package(s) to lock and then update others.
Hi Guys!

I am a complete newbie in the raspberry pi/xbmc world and I am just making my first steps.
One of my first problems led me to this thread which brought my to the solution (black screen after xbmc logout)
Thank you popcornmix!

to recover the console, the "fbset..." command is the solution.
I am not sure if this is generic, but in my version of xbmc (I downloaded a prebuild version from Michael Gorven [see http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianXBMC])
I have in addition to "/usr/bin/xbmc" the start-script "/usr/bin/xbmc-standalone" which already consideres that.
It reads the current fbset config before it starts xbmc and set it again after you exit xbmc.

so, if you also have this xbmc-standalone startscript, the solution could be simply "use it" :-)
Hey,

I just wrote a script with these two lines:

sudo xbmc-standalone
startx

After I quit XBMC, the desktop comes up. If I logout from that, I'm back at shell.

Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen after XBMC exit.0