Could XBMC be made to run on Enigma2 box, eg vu+
Hi all,

have purchased a Vu+ box for tv viewing (see http://vuplus.com/) and I've got tv channels streaming to XBMC via plugin which works great.

However would like to use a media centre type interface on the Vu+ to view movies/tv shows on nas.
Could it be made to work? perhaps as a plugin?
Probably a daft question but just curious what it would take to make it work?

Most of enigma2 based boxes have low processor power but the new Solo2 model has a dual core 1.3ghz processor so may be up to job?
I've tried to install a plugin called 'project Valerie' which looked ok but could get it to work right, kept crashing the box.

Any thoughts?

Just found tutorial on writing enigma2 plugins and says they are written in python, is XBMC is written in C++? Guessing they are worlds apart? I'm no programmer!
No reasonable way to port xbmc to Enigma2's Python on a insufficient resources.
(2013-04-04, 12:41)realjobe Wrote: No reasonable way to port xbmc to Enigma2's Python on a insufficient resources.

Shame, seems like a no go then.
Think I'm going to dust off the raspberry pi and setup openelec for now then.
I was also wondering if this could happen as there are many devices sold for sat TV and now with PVR support of XBMC it could be much easier.
If it wasn't a plugin for enigma but a complete port would it be possible? Because enigma2 is basically a linux distro as inside it has all the folders structure of a linux system. Could a programmer with a knowledge have a look into it?
Looked at it and it is not possible.
Also for new devices this would probably need extensive support from the manufacturer.

To run XBMC you need OpenGL / OpenGLES and support for hardware decoding of video.
These boxes have neither.
Thank you for the quick reply and the look into it. Highly appreciate it.
Though as I did a search, the newest, VU+ Solo2 uses a Broadcom BCM7356 chipset and according to here http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=s541251 supports hardware decoding of H264 1080p and also supports OpenGL.
Though I'm still not clear if drivers are available etc.
There is an interesting thread here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=112159&page=6 as well mentioning maybe a port to Broadcom MIPS, but seems the information there ended and maybe nobody is putting work into it, maybe because someone doesn't want it.

Personally I have a VU+ Uno and it is capable of playing an mkv through network with 1080p of bitrates up to 30MBit/s.
It does indeed support OpenGL ES.

That means a system-on-a-chip with those processors in it could theoretically run XBMC, but still the code would need to be rewritten for MIPS processor architecture and there would have to be an available driver with hardware acceleration. In other words: cool that they run an OS with hardware acceleration on it, but if we don't have sourcecode for that driver it would have to be written from scratch. Without support from broadcom / another company or clear documentation this is almost impossible to do, unless you are extremely skilled in MIPS-architecture and Broadcom chipdesign.

I am not sure if any of their code actually came back or was published.
I think writing own driver from XBMC is a no-go, unless some enthusiast will do that.

Though what I would like to point out that there exists players and people writing players for this system, because basically they are linux based. There are more "distros" that one can install on these machines. So I think there should be some kind of drivers that work and that could be useful. As XBMC is installed on Linux in a normal PC maybe it could be installed on these systems as well. I just don't know which requirements does XBMC need from a Linux distro to be instalable.
Actually, I recall that we do have support for MIPS and can be built for it. It would still take a lot of work to get going for this specific situation, but in theory it is possible.
@ned
Oh wow, the more you know Smile

@Sugyi,
Code:
1.6 What is current recommended hardware requirements for XBMC

For end-users the recommended minimum requirement is an x86-based computer, with a 3D GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) that at least supports Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0 (that features 24bpp or 32bpp for 3D hardware-acceleration support, which the XBMC GUI needs to run smoothly at an acceptable frame-rate). Graphic adapters that support DirectX version 9.0c or later usually meet all of those mentioned requirements, (Team-XBMC recommends NVIDIA GeForce 6150 or later as NVIDIA are currently the manufacturer that offers good device-drivers for Linux (and NVIDIA GeForce 6150 or later supports OpenGL 2.0).
Yes, I am fully aware what momentarily is the best solution for XBMC. When I was building my first HTPC I followed the forums and went the Nvidia ION+Linux way with a board and added a Celeron processor as it is also used as a file server for the other boxes at home. Next what followed was an All-in-one pc for the kitchen with a USB sat card with XBMC installed. Now with the PVR plugins it is working very well(btw would recommend this kind of solution for the kitchen to everyone, even my parents enjoy much using it).

I was just wondering when these boxes run Linux, XBMC can be run on Linux and the communities both around these boxes and XBMC are huge why it wouldn't be a nice merge. These boxes already have most of the things you use XBMC for. They have samba, nfs server, connect to youtube to watch videos, check weather, webcams, have included the psu, the remote, the sat tuners, in some boxes you can include terrestrial and cable tuners, have CI slots for decription modules, you can add wireless cards, internal HDD, etc. They have skins etc., but miss the library XBMC can build and the beatiful GUI and user experience XBMC offers.

XBMC was even ported to the iPhones so I said to myself, with so many things in common why there couldn't be a version of XBMC for these boxes as well? Especially after XBMC started to support PVR. If I was able to build a software packege I would start to dig into it how much work would need to be done, I am just not capable of doing more than installing packages in Linux and change some lines in the configuration files.

And thank you Kibje and Ned Scott for your attention to this case, I highly appreciate your attention as XBMC staff.
The Hardware requirement is ok on the new Broadcom CPUs with 1,3Ghz - HDD, 1GB Ram, 512Flash, OpenGL ES 2.0 support and Hardwaresupport for all Mediaformats incl 3D.

changes in Hardware for the 3 boxes:
Gigablue Quard: 512MB Flash - 4 Tuner (2changeable) - Color TFT
Vu+ Solo2: 128MB Flash - 2 Tuner SAT
Vu+ Duo2: 2048MB Ram - 2 Changeable Tuners - Color TFT

The companies gigablue can support you in driver support on this needed features.

Here you find the hardware on mipsl based STBs that support the requirements:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132736
(2013-04-02, 17:55)boyofford Wrote: Hi all,

have purchased a Vu+ box for tv viewing (see http://vuplus.com/) and I've got tv channels streaming to XBMC via plugin which works great.

However would like to use a media centre type interface on the Vu+ to view movies/tv shows on nas.
Could it be made to work? perhaps as a plugin?
Probably a daft question but just curious what it would take to make it work?

Most of enigma2 based boxes have low processor power but the new Solo2 model has a dual core 1.3ghz processor so may be up to job?
I've tried to install a plugin called 'project Valerie' which looked ok but could get it to work right, kept crashing the box.

Any thoughts?

Just found tutorial on writing enigma2 plugins and says they are written in python, is XBMC is written in C++? Guessing they are worlds apart? I'm no programmer!

Hi.

Found this, it may be of interest.
http://www.sat24store.com/index.php?rout...uct_id=160

Also Galaxy Innovations have a similar STB.
Porting XBMC to another platform requires two things to be even considered.

The 1st is GL or GLES support. This is for the XBMC GUI. That's the 1st hurdle. No GL/GLES, no GUI. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

The second is video decoding. If you have the ponies, you can handle it via software FFMpeg. If no ponies, then you have to tap hardware video decode. Now very important point the newbees never see to wrap their minds around. GL/GLES does NOT equal hardware video decode. Without hardware video decode on these embedded platforms, epic fail. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

XBMC for iOS/ATV2 was only viable because we could do hardware video decode. If that was not possible, then it would have never been completed and release. Same for Android, no hardware video decode, then finishing the port was a useless exercise.
I'm using this great addon on my Vu+ Uno, you could look at it.

Project-Valerie

Quote:Welcome to Project Valerie

What is Project Valerie

Project Valerie (PVMC) is a MediaCenter plugin for enimga2 based settop boxes. Currently it has been reported as running on following systems:

Dreambox (DM8000HD, DM800HD, DM800SE, DM500HD)
Azbox (Elite, Premium, Premium+)
Kathrein (UFS-910, UFS-912, UFS-922)
Cuberevo/IP-BOX (Cuberevo, Cuberevo mini, 91HD, 900HD, 910HD, 9000HD)
Topfield HDPVR-7700
Fortis HDbox

...and a lot more Enigma2 based settop boxes with mipsel or sh architecture. The following summary lists a few highlights of PVMC:

modern GUI with optional animated menus
look & feel configurable due to skins
automatic synchronization process (download) and display of cover, backdrops and plots for movies and TV-shows from IMDB, themoviedb.org and TheTVDB.com
maintenance of own video collection using Web-Interface (=> manually edit attributes for all records like title, plot genre etc.)
use regular expressions in order to optimize the detection rate of the synchronization process
keep track of already watched movies and TV shows by using Trak.TV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Could XBMC be made to run on Enigma2 box, eg vu+0