Htpc cpu/gpu dilemma
Hey guys,

Long time reader... Anyway Smile

I'm currently selecting parts for a new htpc build for xbmc mainly. Should do basic other stuff also.
I'm not shure if i'm going linux or windows but it should have enough grunt to do both and play 1080p blu ray videos and be a bit future proof for 3d.

So the dilemma is i have an intel i3–2120t lying around that i thought about using.
Bit i'm a bit scared it wont be enough.
So should i add small gpu to its side to help it OR buy an i5/i7 with hd graphics 4000?
Considering power consumption....and performance. I'm willing to pay a bit more for another cpu if it gets my power consumption down a bit considering it doesnt need an extra gpu.

I have been reading a lot but i really don't know anymore Smile

So what would you guys do.
– keep the 2120t solo
– 2120t with gpu, which one?
– other cpu, solo
– other cpu, with gpu?

I also should mention i'm an intel and definite NVIDIA guy! So no ati please.
Gpu's preferably fanless Smile

Thx guys.
2120t can handle 1080p 3D and all the 'basic other stuff' you can throw at it. The only reason to consider a discrete GPU is if you are going to do gaming. Also, what's the risk in tyring what you have first? You're going to need a LGA 1155 MB so if you don't think your 2120t is strong enough then you replace it with any SNB or IVB CPU. If you find that you need more GPU then I highly doubt that stepping up to a HD4000 chip will remedy that. So your decision is really do I need a discrete GPU or not? My advice - try the 2120t alone and then decide if you want to add a GPU.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
(2013-04-02, 21:16)wsume99 Wrote: 2120t can handle 1080p 3D and all the 'basic other stuff' you can throw at it. The only reason to consider a discrete GPU is if you are going to do gaming. Also, what's the risk in tyring what you have first? You're going to need a LGA 1155 MB so if you don't think your 2120t is strong enough then you replace it with any SNB or IVB CPU. If you find that you need more GPU then I highly doubt that stepping up to a HD4000 chip will remedy that. So your decision is really do I need a discrete GPU or not? My advice - try the 2120t alone and then decide if you want to add a GPU.

I second this. 2120t should have enough power for everything you wanted. Add Nvidia entry-level fanless card if you dissatisfied with intel result would be enough.
I just put together a passively cooled i3-2120T thin mini-ITX build last night with an mSATA SSD, 8GB RAM and Windows 8 and it did everything I asked 1080p MKV-wise. Since you already have it, try it first w/o the discrete GPU and then add one later if you need it for some feature it's not supporting for you.
Ok thx a lot guys. I feel more confident now in using this cpu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Htpc cpu/gpu dilemma0