Unable to create GUI message on start up
I just installed Frodo 12.1 on my laptop, xp pro sp3. every time I try ans start XBMC I get the following text box on top of a black screen "ERROR: Unable to create GUI". I tried to create a log file but it wouldn't create one. Any thoughts?
Updating the graphics driver may solve this problem.
The same occurs if running XBMC 12.1 under VMware.
Obviously VMware's graphics driver doesn't provide the functionality required by XMBC.
Most of the other players, VLC, MPC-HC, WMP, SMPlayer play ok under VMware.

Here's the details:
XBMC 12.1 Frodo
Guest OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit)
VMware: Workstation 9.0.2
Host OS: Windows XP SP3 (32bit)

The reason for doing this was to test some h264 codecs out on WMP to allow 10bit MKV to play under Windows 7.
I'm having the same problem, does XBMC work with 3rd gen Intel with HD 2500?
HTPC/Server: Windows 10, Intel i5 3450S, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA Geforce 210, HDMI > 55" TV, Windows SSD / Storage 8TB (Redundant)
Desktop: Windows 10, Intel i7 5820k, 12GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970, 2x Samsung S24B350, Windows SSD / Storage 3TB (Redundant)
~As of 2017~
Quote:XBMC needs a 3D capable GPU graphics hardware controller for all rendering. The required 3D GPU chips are common today in most modern computers, and even some set-top boxes. XBMC runs well on what (by Intel ATOM standards) are relatively underpowered OpenGL 1.3 (with GLSL support), OpenGL ES 2.0 or Direct3D (DirectX) 9.0 capable systems that are IA-32/x86, x86-64, or ARM CPU based.
See supported hardware (wiki)

If you do not install the driver that provides the hardware acceleration for your graphics card, XBMC will not run.
(2013-04-17, 17:24)Kibje Wrote:
Quote:XBMC needs a 3D capable GPU graphics hardware controller for all rendering. The required 3D GPU chips are common today in most modern computers, and even some set-top boxes. XBMC runs well on what (by Intel ATOM standards) are relatively underpowered OpenGL 1.3 (with GLSL support), OpenGL ES 2.0 or Direct3D (DirectX) 9.0 capable systems that are IA-32/x86, x86-64, or ARM CPU based.
See supported hardware (wiki)

If you do not install the driver that provides the hardware acceleration for your graphics card, XBMC will not run.
I see!
I brought a Geforce 210 for 37$ andnow it works like a charm Smile
Except I can't see XBMC in remote or Radmin, strange.

FYI, if you try to watch XBMC through Terminal Server you get an error about GUI. BUT if you try it trough Radmin it won't. It will be completly black but you see XBMC on the screen.
HTPC/Server: Windows 10, Intel i5 3450S, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA Geforce 210, HDMI > 55" TV, Windows SSD / Storage 8TB (Redundant)
Desktop: Windows 10, Intel i7 5820k, 12GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970, 2x Samsung S24B350, Windows SSD / Storage 3TB (Redundant)
~As of 2017~
I resolve the problem with a driver update software to all the computer, I have on the computer Windows Vista and the full scan FIX the message "ERROR: Unable to create GUI" and after restart XBMC working 100% .
I have this problem only when I use remote desktop connection, if I work direct with server, I don't have problem like this

PS. Sorry I was wrong, I did install wrong software. this problems was with PLEX Movie theater, not with PLEX Media Server
Freaky... remote desktop worked perfectly before with my i3 NUC, but that NUC had a problem so I replaced it with an i5 NUC, and now I get this message when I try to remote in. (I'm using the same desktop PC to remote in that I did before.)
Anybody figure out how to fix this with remote desktop?
(2014-08-07, 21:19)pcgirl Wrote: Anybody figure out how to fix this with remote desktop?

Not.
Simply unsupported
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
had same loading XBMC - graphics drivers fixed it for me.
I had the same in a Virtualbox, i installed the experimental 3d acceleration driver in safe mode and Kodi would start!
A while back, Virtualbox had a problem on some systems where it's screen was always black (not just when running Kodi). Disabling 3D acceleration provided a workaround. That problem has since been corrected, but if you still have 3D acceleration disabled, Kodi will fail to launch and throw the "cannot create GUI" error. Re-enable 3D acceleration, and Kodi should open properly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to create GUI message on start up0