Numerous questions (ssh, audio volume, other programs, website videos)
Hi All,
I am considering buying a RP to replace my Logitech Revue (Google TV). I have experience with building Windows based Media PCs using Windows Media Center. I also have limited experience with XBMC on Windows but not as my primary software.
After doing a lot of research I am still confused about a few things regarding XBMC on Raspberry Pi, specifically.

1. After installing XBMC can I still get a command line/terminal other than SSHing from another machine?

2. After installing XBMC can I still run external programs from XBMC? My main desire is running a MAME emulator which I read works well on an RP if I only run old school games (which I would).

3. I'm still confused about Flash video on websites. Some important sites for me are weplaylive.tv , dramafever.com, Taiwanese news channels. Can these be watched directly somehow? My understanding is that there is no Flash video capable web browser for RP.
3a. I am somewhat familiar with the Navi-X plugin and creating the xml for scraping video from sites. Does Navi-X work the same on RP since Flash support is limited? Is there an easy way to isolate and watch video from a website once I know the page?
3b. Does Navi-X work well on the RP?

4. Is the audio volume controllable from the audio on the HDMI cable? I have an unusual situation where I cannot control the volume on my TV so my media player must handle volume.

5. Is there any horsepower left over once XBMC is running? I figure since the RP will run 24/7 it would be nice to install something like the Tiny Tiny RSS aggregator on it. Maybe I'm asking for too much at this point.

6. Is there a way to listen to Pandora, Slacker, GrooveShark, etc? The plug-ins always seem out-of-date but without a browser to fall back on, I wonder if I'm asking for trouble...

Sorry. Lots of questions. I like to tinker but I also want something that I can make stable enough that my wife can watch her K-Drama and I don't have to fix every single time I want to watch a show.

Thank You for any advice/help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Numerous questions (ssh, audio volume, other programs, website videos)0