Discovered conflict between Eyetv and XBMC causing crashes
Just thought I'd let everyone know what I discovered just the other day, as it seems to have fixed an issue that has been bugging me for ages at least since 12.0.

I would intermittently have XBMC fail to launch, no matter what I did, it would not launch once it first failed. This would happen every couple of days. I'd end up having to wipe the XBMC application support folder, meaning I'd have to redo all my settings.

I knew it had something to do with audio, but couldn't track down what.

Well the latest time it started crashing on launch - for some reason I decided to look at Eyetvs audio settings - it was set to digital out (my Mac mini has a digital optical connection to the surround sound receiver), I decided to change it to system output, and lo and behold, XBMC started up fine! I didn't have to reset it this time and it has been working fine for days now - longer than ever before.

I like others had been having other issues with audio in XBMC that certain other settings in midi setup and XBMC setup helped, but til now I didn't realise that the crash on launch issue was related to Eyetv and audio. Hope this helps others.
Thanks for the heads up!
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I had the exact same problem and could not figure it out for the life of me. You ROCK!
(2013-04-04, 11:35)FriendlyG Wrote: Well the latest time it started crashing on launch - for some reason I decided to look at Eyetvs audio settings - it was set to digital out (my Mac mini has a digital optical connection to the surround sound receiver), I decided to change it to system output, and lo and behold, XBMC started up fine! I didn't have to reset it this time and it has been working fine for days now - longer than ever before.

When you diagnosed this, did the eye tv application have to be running on standby or with a live window, or did the symptoms exist even when the eye tv app was shut ?
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I can't tell you if it happened when Eyetv was shutdown, as my eyetv was always running in the background, but paused and also sometimes with the live tv window closed.

Glad I could help some people, because it's been driving me mad!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discovered conflict between Eyetv and XBMC causing crashes0