• 19(current)
[i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's
@hste
Thanks, I tried those commands and streaming is still jerky.

@wolfgar, when I tried 1080p it was with a local network fileserver hosted file.

I played around with various different types of 720p files and it looks like not 720p files stream the same. So far I have noticed the two file that suffer the choppiness are files with "BluRay.DTS.x264" in the name, rips are okay, but this is with a sample size of 4. I will try to download those files to my local NAS and see if issue persist, I tried stream local NAS files with the same format and streaming is fine. I'm inclined to believe that the download speed is not sufficient for this type of file. But the fact that my rpi can stream it fine suggest the link isn't getting full speed. BTW, I'm trying this with macbook usb to ethernet dongle currently since it's the fastest... @wolfgar, I have discovered my cheap chinese usb-ethernet ones run ridiculously slow, and these devices will cause significant buffering times during playback. The problem I have currently is with the few jerky frames.

Paul
(2013-11-10, 03:55)wolfgar Wrote: I am sorry : Really I don't understand ...
Everything seems to be fine in these logs, the resolution (including frequency) is the same as your debian distro.
Don't you have another HDMI capable TV or monitor to check how it behaves ?

With a HD TV it is the same at first but after 6 to 8 s the Wandboard changes the aspect ratio and everything is ok. I should have tried this before.

Peter
Hi Paul
Well sorry I am a little lost.
I understand that you have an issue with a crappy chinese USB/Ethernet device right ? (And I easily believe it : I even have some modules which use the same MAC for all their devices ! And they steal the OUI from another vendor by the way lol)
With a proper Ethernet USB, you still have difference between local nas and internet ? It is quite strange (except if you simply have internet bandwidth issue) as it is the same from the device side : streaming from the network, isn't it ?
Regards
Stephan

(2013-11-10, 17:57)pebol Wrote: With a HD TV it is the same at first but after 6 to 8 s the Wandboard changes the aspect ratio and everything is ok. I should have tried this before.
Nice...
Hopefully, you may have a manual settings on your initial screen to force correct aspect ratio...
Regards
@wolfgar: an news on your CuBox-i board?

i would like to order one if you found the bug preventing proper 1080p.

cheers
Hi,

Sorry for my late answer : Yes cubox-i is now basically ok even for 1080p.

Stephan
Thank you for the answer but ... - "basically ok" does mean?

Will it do DTS-HD/ DD etc. /downmixing / 24p /30p / 3D ? Could you give me a hint what we can exspect ?

If you need additional hardware just tell me and i will buy one for you. If you need anything else please send me a pm.
All of the versions are the same for htpc?
@stephan, great work on i.MX6 support for XBMC so far!

I still however think that it is a little unclear when these patches will be submitted and merged into XBMC mainline?

Udoo forums and news posts make it sound as if this already "official" upstream support for it in XBMC mainline on xbmc.org team GitHub?

http://www.udoo.org/xbmc-for-udoo-by-stephan-rafin/
Quote:Official XBMC release by Stephan Rafin

http://www.udoo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=518
http://www.udoo.org/xbmc-for-udoo/
Quote:UDOO-XBMC - XBMC Porting for UDOO board

http://sourceforge.net/projects/udooxbmc/

...official forum discussion...

http://www.udoo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=357
Maybe just them misunderstanding yours and luke4sky's use of "officially" and "official" wording together with "XBMC release"?
Hi mbosner

By "basically ok", I mean that even for the carrier one I own and which is equipped with a imx6 solo, last changes enable to have a fluent experience @1080p.
The issue was DDR bandwidth and the overall solution requires a little DDR overclock to have better margins.

I have not been able to test all configurations you speak about :
bitstream (SPDIF and HDMI) is OK,
decoding (including downmixing) non HD audio work for sure.
24p is also ok for sure. 30p I don't know.
For HD audio, at hardware level, it should be ok but I never had a success report about it. I had at least one report which states it is KO : As the logs stated an underrun I am unsure the issue was really about audio. (It could be a bandwidth issue)
I am unable to test by myself this function (no HDMI amp)

For 3D, it should be doable (at hw level the HDMI is v1.4a) but I simply have never tested it nor checked if every piece of software are available so far. (again no hw)
At least I fear the imx6 solo may have bandwidth issues as we have to decode 2 1080p streams for 3D...

I am sorry for my generic answer.
Obviously I should try to formally gather results from users to be able to communicate more precise data about the current state of implementation...

Best regards
Stephan

Hi Pszab

All versions are not the same. especially DDR bandwidth and GPU are different.
If you care only about XBMC, the solo may be enough...
I hope users will be able to perform video to illustrate how it behaves and that some sort of benchs regarding how scrappers behave etc will be realized to give you a better idea of the differences between solo/dual lite/dual ultra/quad models
For now I don't have formal figures : solo is not so bad but to be honest I spend most of my time on quad models...

Stephan
Hi Hedda,

I am sorry for the confusion.
udoo team uses this "official" adjective in contrast with a previous image which was based upon my work but provided by a beta tester (Luca)
I guess they just wanted to underline that now, I have my own board and support by myself their appealing platform...
On my siide, I use the adverd as a way to ta say my udoo image is now public (a preview has been shared for 2 weeks privatly) : I will modify my post with "publicly" if you prefer...

Regarding mainlining, I still have some work before attempting to do this but it is very clearly my intend : I hope to be able to solve 3 or 4 annoying remaining bugs (some kind of memory leak + issue with 4:3 aspect ratio in liveTV + a specific AVC video stream improperly decoded + issue when switching channels in livetv) and to refactor a little the code by the end of the month. And then I will try to push my code ...

Best regards
Stephan
I have tried the latest XMBC image for Udoo Quad, rather impressive for a new board.

I have the Quad board with SATA. Playing videos over SMB seems to constantly buffer, however on NFS its better. By default before changing any settings, the video would play at 2x or 3x normal speed. I enabled vsync, and set audio to static 48khz, rebooted and it plays. However the biggest issue is it freezes after playing video. Within 10 minutes normally, nothing gets spit out the serial console beforehand. Oh and even with vsync, the fps reported in xbmc is around 100~150fps, I was under the impression this should be capped at 60fps running 1920x1200-60 over HDMI with vsync ON.

Oh and the temperature reported by xbmc seems to come up to about 120f, and never moves once its there.

Thanks for amazing work for the iMX6 processor support.

-Chris
TBS Matrix looks very interesting iMX6Q board to me because of mini-PCIe slot and SATA port plus support for their USB TV-tuners for Tvheadend

http://www.cnx-software.com/2013/12/18/t...vb-tuners/

TBS Matrix ARM mini PC Features Freescale i.MX6Q, Supports USB DVB Tuners

TBS, a producer of digital TV tuners for PC, has decided to launch their own ARM mini PC called Matrix to interface with their USB DVB tuners. The board is based on Freescale i.MX6 Quad ARM Cortex A9 SoC with 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC flash, and costs about $150. The company also claims to have XBMC, VDR, Tvheadend software running on the platform.

Here are the specifications for this quad core ARM board / computer (Codename: TBS2910):
  • SoC – Freescale i.MX6 Quad Core (MCIMX6Q5EYM10AC) ARM Cortex A9 processor @ 1.0 GHz with Vivante GC2000 3D GPU
  • System Memory – 2GB DDR
  • Storage – 16GB eMMC, SD card slot, micro SD card slot, and SATA interface
  • USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x USB OTG
  • Video Output – HDMI
  • Audio Output – HDMI and 3.5mm audio jack
  • Connectivity – 10/100/1000M Ethernet, and Wi-Fi 802.11n/b/g
  • Expansion – 16-pin header for access to GPIO/UART/I2C, and mini PCIe connector
  • Debugging – RS232 serial header
  • Misc – Burn/Boot mode switch, power and activity LEDs, and Reset, Power & Vol +/- buttons.
  • Power Supply – 5V/3A
  • Dimensions – Board: 130 x 83 mm, Case: 135 x 90 x 45 mm
The Matrix is sold with a power adapter, a SATA power cable, and an optional RS32 adapter board for debugging.

The company provides supports for Android, Ubuntu and other Linux based distributions can also run on the device. As mentioned in the introduction, XBMC, Tvheadend, and Video Disc Recorder (VDR), MuMuDVB and dvblast have been ported, and are pre-installed in the board (Linux/Ubuntu images). Some documentation is already available, and eventually Android, Ubuntu, and Linux source code will be published to the Download section.

Some of the compan’s DVB-T2, DVB-/T, DVB/C and DVB/C2 USB tuners are currently supported: TBS5922, TBS5980, TBS5925, TBS5680, TBS DVB-C sticks, and TBS5220. Despite the mini PCIe board on the board, none of the mini PCIe DVB tuner is currently supported.

The board can be purchased for $149.99 plus shipping from BuyDVD, and the six tuners aforementioned can be added as option for $59 to $240 depending on the chosen model. The device will also be available from other distributors lateron. Further details may be found on TBS 2910 Matrix page, as well as on their forums.
Hi,

Regarding this new matrix device, I have been in touch with TBS and I have just received the TBS-2910.
So you can expect a formal feedback regarding this promising device and the tuners TBS5880 and TBS5980 from my side.

Unfortunately,
- For now, software support is not provided : Nothing can be downloaded from the link you provide.
- The fan is really not a good choice in my opinion (I can already tell it is especially loud). All other imx6Q boards I am aware of are able to be passively cooled and it is just fine that way : To me, it is even a must have for a perfect media center device...

But no quick conclusions, I will provide a complete review when the software will be published...

Best regards
Stephan
I plan to try to get XBMC working on the Sabrelite (imx6 quad board) in the holiday season, and also strap over so CEC is working. But what root filesystem would you recommend to start with, and which of your github kernel branches..?
Hi,

To give a quick try, here is what you can do :
- Download the wandboard quad RFS I provide for my latest image : http://stephan-rafin.net/blog/2013/11/08...cto-image/
- Be sure that you have a kernel aligned with the 3.0.35_4.1.0 from freescale for your sabrelite
And it should just work !
(For CEC do not forget to apply my kernel patch)

You can have a look at the way hste creates an image for gk802 (http://stende.no-ip.info/files/xbmc/mkxbmc.sh) : He basically does this with a gk802 kernel...

Then if you want to rebuild the whole thing for another distro and so on, you also can of course ! The most uptodate branch is the imx6-wip one...

Regards
Stephan
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[i.MX6] XBMC running on Freescale SoC's4