windows platform Overkill forXBMC?
I used to run windows 7 as I used madvr, ripping etc. since getting into XBMC (which I now have on an ATV and a Raspberry Pi) I no longer like the huge overheads, boot time and constant Disc drive spinning you get with windows.
So I installed Openelec direct to the hard drive and it boots in seconds and does most of what I want , but am I missing something by not installing windows?
Plus is there a windows 'lite' I could use instead or maybe Linux?

What are your thoughts?

Oops,
Looks like XBMCbuntu is what I need?
For a lot of people who use XBMC exclusively as an appliance, windows is overkill, but for others that use services, browsers, and external windows graphic tools... XBMC is seen as just another tool. The question of what O/S is best is an ongoing target of discussion each has it's strengths and depends a lot on user knowledge, and the type of use the final install will have. Clearly Linux variants are popular for MythTV support and it's free cost nature. Windows is popular for the ubiquity of software, the large installed hardware base. Apple O/S for it's low cost, ease of use, good hardware support and graphic oriented applications; while embedded systems (mostly android and linux) seem more XBMC appliance oriented.

A windows lite doesn't exist....
I consider XBMCbuntu a 'lite' mode, it (by default) starts XBMC as an applicance but you can exit XBMC and login to a desktop session to do some light browsing, run linux apps or configure your system etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
windows platform Overkill forXBMC?0