What is the status of broadcast events?
Question 
(I posted this here but I guess it's the wrong place so moved it here)
I'm the developer of the XBMC2 EventGhost plugin.

And I have been working (slowly) on XBMC Events support both Broadcast and JSON-RPC notifications.

So I'm posting this to ask what the status is with the broadcast events support in XBMC 12+, I know the HTTPAPI was deprecated and now removed but I'm sure I read somewhere that the broadcast events wasn't deprecated only the HTTPAPI that controls it. But I haven't found how to activate/control it in newer versions and can't find any current info what the status is.

So why don't I just use JSON-RPC notification only? The problem is that EventGhost is designed to be an always running control program, so I would like to detect when XBMC is started and make a connection to get JSON-RPC notifications. As the broadcast events work just by listening for them in the XBMC2 plugin it seems the perfect way to find out when XBMC starts (especially if XBMC is run over the LAN).

Is there another way to detect when XBMC starts over the network? So I can make a connection.

So hopefully someone bothers to answer as both this and this other post about this never got any replys.

jonib
XBMC2, EventGhost plugin. Image
You can listen to zeroconf and ssdp. The former will explicitly tell you about both xbmc and jsonrpc. The latter will only tell you about xbmc and upnp.

Neither of these are good for windows or event ghost I doubt.

Adding a simple UDP broadcaster should be possible. I actually did that a while back but didn't see any need for it so I threw it away.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2013-04-09, 21:19)topfs2 Wrote: You can listen to zeroconf and ssdp. The former will explicitly tell you about both xbmc and jsonrpc. The latter will only tell you about xbmc and upnp.
I have looked at Zeroconf but I don't really want users of my plugin to need some extra software just to detect when XBMC is started. I'll look into ssdp if it would be useful thanks.

Quote:Neither of these are good for windows or event ghost I doubt.
Sad

Quote:Adding a simple UDP broadcaster should be possible. I actually did that a while back but didn't see any need for it so I threw it away.
You are not talking about the UDP broadcast events that was available in XBMC 11? just wondering why you would make another one.

jonib
(2013-04-09, 21:38)jonib Wrote: You are not talking about the UDP broadcast events that was available in XBMC 11? just wondering why you would make another one.

JSON RPC can have many transports, I created one for UDP Broadcasting (as a test).
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2013-04-09, 22:22)topfs2 Wrote: JSON RPC can have many transports, I created one for UDP Broadcasting (as a test).
OK. Well that would be nice to have maybe a subset of events sent via UDP, especially an event when XBMC starts. Sad you didn't think it was useful.

I had a quick look at Python examples for ssdp and it seems to also need complex libs for support, well the old broadcast event was just to easy and useful to be kept in XBMC. Confused

Edit: Looks like the ssdp protocol seems very easy so I should be able to use it to detect when XBMC starts. Thanks a lot topfs2.

jonib
Today after upgrading to 13.2, i no longer can control my lights through xbmc. Neither can i use broadcast --> eventghost and config eventghost to control the lights.

Is the reason that broadcast(-api) have been removed? Do i really need to downgrade my xbmc to be able to intigrate xbmc to my smarthouse, or is it another way to get broadcasts (to eventghost)?
(2014-09-10, 01:43)pabben Wrote: Do i really need to downgrade my xbmc to be able to intigrate xbmc to my smarthouse, or is it another way to get broadcasts (to eventghost)?
My XBMC2 EventGhost plugin (included in EventGhost) supports events via the JSON-RPC notifications. Hopefully it works for your purpose.

jonib
If anyone else is going my path:

Add "xmbc2" plugin
Activate "JSON-RPC notifications"
Add "Broadcaster"
Set up macro (event = "xmbc.player.onStop.movie" --> broadcaster <what you would like to broadcast>

I actually see a good thing with this; you now can do a difference between "playmovie" and "playsong". Until today my lights went mental when i played mp3's because my smarthouse just got the message "xmbc play" and dimmed the lights...

(2014-09-10, 01:59)jonib Wrote:
(2014-09-10, 01:43)pabben Wrote: Do i really need to downgrade my xbmc to be able to intigrate xbmc to my smarthouse, or is it another way to get broadcasts (to eventghost)?
My XBMC2 EventGhost plugin (included in EventGhost) supports events via the JSON-RPC notifications. Hopefully it works for your purpose.

jonib

Yes indeed it does! Tank you for the plugin btw! Smile
(2014-09-10, 02:02)pabben Wrote: Yes indeed it does! Tank you for the plugin btw! Smile
Nice, I'm happy it worked for you.

jonib

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the status of broadcast events?0