battery life concern, is xbmc a good option?
Hi everyone,

I'm going to begin to start having to fly fairly often for work and i'm definitely going to want to use xbmc on the plane. My concern is over battery life. Does anyone have any experience with different media players and their affect on it? In the past i know that XBMC used to hammer the cpu on just about every OS while just sitting at the skin, horrible for battery life. Thanks for any help!
You are running XBMC on your smartwatch?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I'm guessing he's talking about a laptop :)

During video playback, we're actually one of the few players that use hardware decoding when possible, so you can actually get better battery life with XBMC sometimes.

Dirty regions, which decreases CPU and GPU usage for rendering the GUI, is now enabled by default for XBMC v12, so that will help as well. Though I would still only have XBMC open when you are ready to watch a movie and not just idling in the GUI, but it probably won't have a major impact even if you did.
Ned,

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. I did a quick unscientific test playing back some hardware accelerated h.264 video while watching the cpu usage via htop over ssh. XBMC was using ~14-18% cpu while quicktime used ~4-6% (macbook air, i5 cpu, xbmc 12.1). It would seem quicktime will probably provide better run time but not enough to justify using that garbage.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
battery life concern, is xbmc a good option?0