USB memory stick SD, SSD
Wink 
Hey!

Coupla questions.

Ask a gazzillion times before. I'm sure. But search won't let you search 3 letter words lol.

Currently run openELEC frodo 12.1 off a 60GB SSD.

serious overkill. I know.

Have looked into USB memory stick, off SD card etc.

But.

1. What's performance like with using a 8GB SD card? Is it class reliant or a waste of time?
2. Does it take 2 USB sticks to make a bootable USB version of OE? One to boot off and install it to the other USB drive?
3. Once loaded off USB. Is it crap or does it work? What about fanart etc? Better to load off NAS than store on stick?

4. Or should I look at a 32GB mSATA bolted to an SATA adapter and just know that 25GB+ is wasted than 55? Smile

Cheers!

Oh and it's a Revo 3700.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

The SD card reader in your Revo 3700 is probably a USB2.0 device and hence limited to about 30MB/s read or write.

OpenElec runs quite well from a USB2.0 stick although obviously some sticks are better than others. Not just raw speed but 4K writes etc, some perform much better than others. I would not use some junk thumbdrive you got free at a tradeshow!

Fanart and menus generally load quickly but slowdown may occur when doing lots of I/O. For example if you were trying to browse the library at the same time as a library update. It tends to choke up a little until the library update is finished.
Right. Got ya.

So SSD really is the way then!

So, what about the 8/16GB SSDs ? Not super fast, sure. But must be faster than USB2?

Or just do option 4 in my OP?

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

I'd be curious to hear your findings, whatever you end up trying. I'm in the exact same boat with my bedroom HTPC. Running OpenELEC off a 64GB drive just seems like a horrendous waste of space. Like you, though, my main concern is with fanart and menu navigation speed.
Might dig out an old USB stick and try it.

If its that poor. I'll buy a small SSD off eBay and try that. If that's utter cripe ill get the 32GB crucial m4. [hoping they'll be dropping in price now they announced the M500!]

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Ive started a thread about this but. This is why in considering running windows from a USB and setting xbmc up on a RAM disk. That way its going to be super faster than any SSD as xbmc is going to be loaded into RAM along with any fan art etc and we can still use an SD card or USB and no need for any wasted SSD.

Perhaps this is something someone can try out?

edit: my thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=161868

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB memory stick SD, SSD0