Build without FFmpeg
I"m new to XBMC builds and think I have read everything, however I don't see an easy way to build XBMC without FFmpeg. Is there a flag in the compile options. I see discussions about external ffmpeg, but I want to build XBMC without any FFmpeg code at all.

Is that possible in the current source?
Yes, the compile option is --enable-external-ffmpeg
Nah he wants to build without ffmpeg. I guess this is impossible. Just out of curiousity - why would you wanna do that?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-04-12, 12:54)Memphiz Wrote: Nah he wants to build without ffmpeg. I guess this is impossible. Just out of curiousity - why would you wanna do that?

Oops, didn't quite read the "without any code at all" Tongue
@Memphiz its not impossible see https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/912

How that would work and why its not been pulled idk.

uNi
Just look at the history of that pr. None of elupus comments have been taken care off and its far from beeing complete as i read it. So my statement is still true.
FFmpeg (library of over 100 codecs, many of which are considered to be pirated in the US) XBMC, Plex, VLC, HandBrake and others use FFmpeg which puts them in murky legal waters. If someone said "What codecs does XBMC use?" they are listed here. If someone said "How about VLC?" the answer is the same. This is the motherload of codecs. However, in the US the use of FFmpeg is confusing and opens one to patent infringement.
(2013-04-16, 15:37)dkardell Wrote: FFmpeg (library of over 100 codecs, many of which are considered to be pirated in the US) XBMC, Plex, VLC, HandBrake and others use FFmpeg which puts them in murky legal waters. If someone said "What codecs does XBMC use?" they are listed here. If someone said "How about VLC?" the answer is the same. This is the motherload of codecs. However, in the US the use of FFmpeg is confusing and opens one to patent infringement.

Only when distributing the one might have problems..
Correct, and that's what we are wanting to do. So thoughts as to how to disable FFmpeg in Visual Studio Express?
if you disable ffmpeg on windows, you don't have any video player left.
Work from the ancient patch universal pointed out.... Or maybe some other projects for low-powered (read: mostly GPU) hardware already did this.
not on windows...
Building XBMC is like building a car without an engine or a TV without a display. It's useless and a waste of manpower.
(2013-04-19, 18:00)negge Wrote: Building XBMC is like building a car without an engine or a TV without a display. It's useless and a waste of manpower.

And opinions are like A***holes... Everyone has got one! Wink
(2013-04-16, 16:44)dkardell Wrote: Correct, and that's what we are wanting to do. So thoughts as to how to disable FFmpeg in Visual Studio Express?

I'm not looking to kill you ambition, but it's more or less impossible to disable ffmpeg out of xbmc since it's a core function and highly integrated with rest of the xbmc internals. A much better and easier alternative is customizing ffmpeg by pretty much disable everything you dont need with the accompanying configure tool. Have a look at ffmpeg.org or labav.org and study the docs for "configure". You can also list all available flags by running "configure --help" in lib/ffmpeg.
1. XBMC: http://github.com/FlyingRat/xbmc (ffmpeg-head-inc-xbmc-patches)
2. FFmpeg: http://github.com/FlyingRat/FFmpeg (ffmpeg-head-with-xbmc-custom-patches)
3. XBMC-updated-FFmpeg-binaries (just dev snapshots, no regular distros)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build without FFmpeg0