OS X Share files using NFS/SMB with ATV2 and XBMC
HI Guys,

Below is my configuration.

I am using OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) with an external HDD attached (NTFS) and would like to share those files to my ATV2 (XBMC).

I have configured shared folder and can see them in XBMC but am not able to play the movies. I have also tried installing SMBup but it seems to be stuck for ever on a page. Also tried using NFS but kept getting errors for the same.

Could someone shed some light if they have managed to configure NTFS external HDD connected via Mac to ATV2 (XBMC) and if so , how.

Thanks a lot in advance for the help
use the latest alpha build for atv2 which should be able to access the lion samba (no smbup needed anymore in those).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
12.1 also has the Samba fix.
(2013-04-12, 11:15)Memphiz Wrote: use the latest alpha build for atv2 which should be able to access the lion samba (no smbup needed anymore in those).

Hi Memphiz,

When upgrading the nightly build, i got the following error :-

Unpacking replacement org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 ...
dpkg: error processing xbmc-20130411-c01c97d-master-atv2.deb (--install):
failed in buffer_write(fd) (7, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMC': No space left on device
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe: 13)
chown: cannot access `/Applications/XBMC.frappliance': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/AppIcon.png': No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-20130411-c01c97d-master-atv2.deb.

Now I don't see XBMC listed in ATV2. I removed XBMC from NITO and tried installing 12.1.0 but got the same above error.

Any advice ?
(2013-04-12, 13:30)nhanda Wrote:
(2013-04-12, 11:15)Memphiz Wrote: use the latest alpha build for atv2 which should be able to access the lion samba (no smbup needed anymore in those).

Hi Memphiz,

failed in buffer_write(fd) (7, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMC': No space left on device
chown: cannot access `/Applications/XBMC.frappliance': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/AppIcon.png': No such file or directory

Now I don't see XBMC listed in ATV2. I removed XBMC from NITO and tried installing 12.1.0 but got the same above error.

Any advice ?

Hi,

I have also tried re-installing xbmc using command line but getting the below error :-

Unpacking org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (from .../org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_12.1-0_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_12.1-0_iphoneos-arm.deb (--unpack):
failed in buffer_write(fd) (7, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/media/weather.zip': No space left on device
/var/cache/apt/archives/org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_12.1-0_iphoneos-arm.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
(2013-04-12, 13:41)nhanda Wrote:
(2013-04-12, 13:30)nhanda Wrote:

Hi Memphiz,

Any advice ?

Hi,

I have also tried re-installing xbmc using command line but getting the below error :-

Unpacking org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (from .../org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_12.1-0_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_12.1-0_iphoneos-arm.deb (--unpack):
failed in buffer_write(fd) (7, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during `./Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/media/weather.zip': No space left on device
/var/cache/apt/archives/org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_12.1-0_iphoneos-arm.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Ok, I have managed to install 12.1.
The issue was as stated in the error message "No space left on device". I went through the forums, found out too much space was used :-

/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/AppleTV/Video root# du -h
4.6G ./LocalAndRental
200M ./Other
4.8G .

Removed Local&Rental and First issue resolved.

Now I am back to square one.
Basically my "Media" drive has a folder Movies inside which are separate folders for each movie. IF i list folder Movies as the source, it isn't able to see any of the folders inside. (Movies folder is shared).
However, If I force a movie say "Departed" as shared inside the Movies folder, I am able to see the contents and play the movie.

Can anyone explain I need to share each folder separately in MAC ?
Hi Guys,

Quick update..I am able to share all folders excepting the MOVIES folder on XBMC. Is there a limit to size/folders in SMB which is not permitting the inside folders to be displayed ?
No its filesystem permission issue on the server side i guess. debug log (wiki) would show that.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-04-12, 16:48)Memphiz Wrote: No its filesystem permission issue on the server side i guess. debug log (wiki) would show that.

Memphiz,

I have uploaded the. files here. Debug Logs

There are two drives listed -> OneTouch4 and Media.

I am having issues seeing any folders inside Media ->Movies. Whereas can see folders inside Media ->TV Shows etc...
Also can see all folders inside OneTouch4.

Let me know your thoughts. Appreciate your help.
(2013-04-12, 17:10)nhanda Wrote: [quote='Memphiz' pid='1395006' dateline='1365778082']
No its filesystem permission issue on the server side i guess. debug log (wiki) would show that.

Memphiz,

I have uploaded the. files here. Debug Logs

There are two drives listed -> OneTouch4 and Media.

I am having issues seeing any folders inside Media ->Movies. Whereas can see folders inside Media ->TV Shows etc...
Also can see all folders inside OneTouch4.

Let me know your thoughts. Appreciate your help.
Something just came to me. In the back of my head I want to say that Apple does something stupid about sharing and external disks. Sure enough, I searched around google, and seems since 10.7, Apple doesn't like sharing non Apple formatted (HFS+) drives over the network (such as NTFS).

Try using SMBUp (wiki), which will replace Apple's SMB server with SAMBA (another open source SMB server).
(2013-04-12, 22:31)Ned Scott Wrote: Something just came to me. In the back of my head I want to say that Apple does something stupid about sharing and external disks. Sure enough, I searched around google, and seems since 10.7, Apple doesn't like sharing non Apple formatted (HFS+) drives over the network (such as NTFS).

Try using SMBUp (wiki), which will replace Apple's SMB server with SAMBA (another open source SMB server).

Hi Ned,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I understand SMBup might resolve the issue but how is it all folders excepting one can be seen by XBMC ? All folders are on NTFS drives .
put the drive into a windows mashine and check the filesystem permissions / user permissions on that folder - there must be an obvious difference.
(2013-04-13, 00:39)Memphiz Wrote: put the drive into a windows mashine and check the filesystem permissions / user permissions on that folder - there must be an obvious difference.

Hi Memphiz,

I have tried checking the permissions in windows and its same for all folders.
Any other thoughts ?
(2013-04-14, 19:10)nhanda Wrote:
(2013-04-13, 00:39)Memphiz Wrote: put the drive into a windows mashine and check the filesystem permissions / user permissions on that folder - there must be an obvious difference.

Hi Memphiz,

I have tried checking the permissions in windows and its same for all folders.
Any other thoughts ?

Hi Memphiz,

I just read that SMB in MAC has a limit of seeing only 2GB. Is that true coz that would explain why I cant see many files. Although if I share the folders individually inside the Movies folder, I can see the folder and play the movie.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Share files using NFS/SMB with ATV2 and XBMC0