Solved Xbmcbuntu advanced launcher and steam. What am I missing?
Xbmcbuntu is ideal for what you want- it is a lightweight distro, but with the ability to install all of Ubuntu packages. As angelscry said, set it up to autostart the desktop session and then autostart xbmc. If you want a games console replacement take a look at windows instead of xbmcbuntu - loads more games and emulators. I dual boot openelec and win7 for this purpose (if you're interested I've put together a xbmc add on to reboot once to another os without using a keyboard)

And one thing, its never going to be as seamless as a console. Eg far cry 3 - loads through steam but every time its exited a window for ubisofts uplay shows up and it can't be closed with a controller, you need a mouse/keyboard.
nah I totally understand that its never going to be easy as turning on a tv or playing anything on a console. The thing is I think its completely worth the extra work both using it and building it. not to mention a huge savings over paying a boatload of money for a product that's just as fun as say some good indie game from steam that costs 15 bucks.
i am more than willing to make a sacrifice in regards to that.
then there's the bit where gaming comes into play. absolutely windows has far better support for hardware and a broad venue of games available. but in the end its still windows i would rather go open source and just miss out on a few big title games.
since my last post i have taken my htpc down and setup Ubuntu. yes its heavier and has stuff i might not need, but a lot of the time i spent messing with xbmcbuntu installing things that were already there on a full fledged distro. I recall many if this were only .... this stuff would already be there, i wouldn't have to install it and its dependencies manually. maybe trimming fat is easier than building from scratch.

by say tomorrow afternoon i will have this to where my last setup was, and hopefully i can report back with some good news and launchers working.
That's exactly why I built my own 'console' too. Smile

I wouldn't use Ubuntu - it has desktop graphics effects enabled by default and it doesn't play nicley with 3d games. You want something like xubuntu or lubuntu that don't use 3d desktops.
well i suppose its not too late to change things. although i don't notice a difference in performance at all going from xbmcbuntu to ubuntu. but ill look into those suggestions.
teedubb,
the launcher finally works. upon exiting steam xbmc relaunches and none of the local content on my second hard drive is loaded and xbmc immediately hangs.
so close yet so far
any ideas?
(2013-07-04, 14:51)i0ls Wrote: teedubb,
the launcher finally works. upon exiting steam xbmc relaunches and none of the local content on my second hard drive is loaded and xbmc immediately hangs.
so close yet so far
any ideas?
Which launcher are you using? Advanced Launcher or SteamLauncher?
(2013-07-04, 14:58)Angelscry Wrote:
so close yet so far
any ideas?
Which launcher are you using? Advanced Launcher or SteamLauncher?

I went back and re-read your previous post about setting up the launcher and BOOM! once off xbmcbuntu it worked like a champ. Just need to iron out some artwork, fanart and thumbs etc and I am in business.

I really couldn't have got anywhere aside from flamed without you guys taking the time to carry me kicking and screaming through this one.
Cool
so close yet so far
any ideas?

I've never seen anything like that, but windows is where I mainly use the add on, and only done some testing in Linux (xubuntu and kubuntu). What distro did this happen with and any chance you can post a debug log (wiki) of it happening?
i am running
ubuntu 64 bit
on
i3 3.1
8gb ripsaw
asock h67m
samsung ssd
geforce gtx650ti

as soon as i figure out how to post the logs for this i will. will take a little googling after work tonight.
thx
Hope this isn't a problem posting in an old thread but I've been trying to get steam launching from xbmcuntu as unfortunately the addon doesn't work. I thought I'd put this here in case anybody else is searching for the answer. I use this script, just set it to run from advanced launcher and make sure you enable windowed mode:

openbox-session &
killall -15 xbmc.bin
steam -bigpicture
killall -9 openbox
killall -9 steam
/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone --no-test
The addon wont work in the xbmc session in xbmcbubtu without some modifications, ie, switching to start openbox and autostarting xbmc.
(2014-04-11, 16:58)teeedubb Wrote: The addon wont work in the xbmc session in xbmcbubtu without some modifications, ie, switching to start openbox and autostarting xbmc.

Oops cheers teeedub,I didn't think to modify your script I'll have a look into that as I'm not convince xbmc is not still running in the background with mine.
This might be a stupid question...

Instead of having to boot into openbox or the standard kodibuntu desktop manager in order to use steam, would it be possible to create a script that logs out of the Kodi session then into a desktop manager and start steam in big picture mode for instance?
This is what I use on a ubuntu minimal install.. You would need some additional configuration for Kodibuntu (like removing lightdm and the kodi upstart script)
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1584693

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmcbuntu advanced launcher and steam. What am I missing?0