HDMI Audio Volume from XBMC remote
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire R3610 running XBMCbuntu 12.1. I also have a VRC-1100 MCE remote. For the most part, this is all working as I require with one exception - audio. I have literally the TV connected to the HTPC via HDMI, nothing else. No receivers etc.

What I want to be able to do is control the audio output level from the MCE remote. Sadly when I press the volume up/down buttons, nothing happens.

First check I made was to ensure the remote was sending the correct codes. I enabled logging and checked the logs when pressing the keys.

Code:
OnKey: volume_down (f0b8) pressed, action is VolumeDown
OnKey: volume_up (f0b9) pressed, action is VolumeUp

So thats all working.

Next thing I checked was the XMBC audio mixer. I have "Master.0", "PCM.0", "IEC958.0" and "IEC958.1". Changing the volume control for master or PCM does nothing - the volume is at the same level. The IEC ones dont have a volume control, only a mute. If I mute "IEC958.1" it mutes the output via HDMI.

I assume whats going on is XBMC is passing the raw bit stream to the TV and therefore cannot control the output volume itself.

I have tried setting the sound output to analog under Audio Output, same problem.

I have a number of different things listed under output device
  • HDA Nvidia (multi), HDMI 0
  • HDA Nvidia (both), HDMI 0
  • Default (HDA Nvidia HDMI 0)
  • HDA Nvidia, HDMI
  • HDA Nvidia, ALX662 rev 1 Digial S/PDIF
  • HDA Nvidia ALC662 rev1 Analog
  • HDA NVidia (hdmi_complete) HDMI
  • HDA Nvidia (hdmi_formatted) HDMI

Here is my aplay -l
Code:
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662 rev1 Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Please note I am not bothered about sound quality (couldn't care if its analog output), just want to be able to control the volume from the MCE remote.

Can anyone help?
Thanks
Remove your asound.conf and retry and uninstall the audiomixer if you are at it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks a lot - that has worked, great.

Now one more annoyance - the volume up & down keys work but dont repeat (every other key on the remote repeats)

Cheers
It never did repeat not ever.

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio Volume from XBMC remote0