dev/moderator attitudes
I want to call attention to what seems to be the prevailing attitude in these forums by devs/moderators

It appears that whenever soneobne posts a poibt of view they are squelched by having an account deleted . First off this is ridiculous as any user can create a new account. Seconbdly the attitude on this thread

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1398056

I did not require anyonbe to reply , I did however need to express my opinion. If the devs hate what they do, maybe they should do somnethinbg else?

clearly tthat implies says that my opinion does not matter when in fact it is users on these forums that support the project as well. If it was not for said input and testing this project would be nowhere.

This is not the first time I have seen this attitude I have seen it before and it appears to me to be arrogant and ignorant! That is my opinion and I have the right to express it freely. FOrbiddinbg me fron replying to that thread is childish and arrogant. I therefore reply here.

I ask that someone here keep your pets on a leash

Deleting my account for this post will only support my case.
Have you thought that your posts may be coming off as arrogant or ignorant to others? To me you are ranting and raving when I personally don't see any need too. Ned provided an answer to your post, yes it is unfortunate for those that use Linux that they have to compile the 12.2 test build themseleves but generally I see more experienced Linux users being able to do this quite simply, correct me if I am wrong. I could understand you being upset if this was a stable main release and the XBMC team expected Linux users to compile their own but this is purely a test release.

And also stated by Ned is that the majority of the developers use Linux which intern gives it a more thorough test then some of the other platforms.

No where it that thread did I see a mention of deleting your account except for you.
Besides that Linux is by far the smaller group of users.
Perhaps there are some very good reasons why there is no linux build of 12.2pre.
Like already said linux users are more than likely to be able to build them selves.
Also I see no hostile replies against you. The only thing I see is you being hostile to us.
Attacking devs that do thus for fun is plain stupid. I haven't seen you contributing any so I think you have no right of speech on that.
You are claiming that others are cleaning up the mess? Well if the are why are they keeping the fixes for themselves and not putting it back where it belongs?
You having issues on atv1 ones not reflect at all against all other users so perhaps it was only you...

You replying with such comments in that thread is non productive and bluntly rude. If you have nothing constructive to say that can be used to improve the code don't say anything. You still have to obey to our forum rules.
I will let other users flame on you now because I think others will agree that you are the rude one.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
No one is going to delete your account, but I don't want you derailing that thread. I already said in plain english, I am still looking for people to help provide Ubuntu (and other distro) builds to help in the pre-v12.2 tests. If I could do it myself, I would, but I don't know how to compile, package, and host a build so that others can use it. I'm doing all that I can to get a this as well tested as possible, so I don't know what else you want from me.

All of these bug fixes are ones that have already been committed to XBMC's main code branch. Having a stable Frodo build or not won't change that. I don't think you understand that devs are cherry picking bug fixes that can smoothly go back into Frodo's code, so that Frodo users will have a more stable build and not have to wait for Gotham to get that stability.

The thread itself was supposed to be a somewhat low-key informal test thread, which is why we're not giving it the typical beta/RC treatment. It's just to get XBMC in more hands to help double check things, to make sure that we've crossed our T's and dotted our I's.

I tried to be honest and explain why there wasn't a build out yet, why it wasn't the end of the world, but that we are still looking to get those builds to testers because we do care about linux users. Apparently you interpreted that as us not caring about linux users?

You can say what you want in this thread, I don't care, as long as it stays out of the test thread. Your comments actually discourage me from asking more people if they can help with builds or not, but I will keep asking.
Anwyay, I asked wsnipex a few days ago and it seems he found some time to do it today. Good guy wsnipex =)

All hail the packaging monkey king! Wink
(2013-04-16, 05:10)tekno Wrote: That is my opinion and I have the right to express it freely. FOrbiddinbg me fron replying to that thread is childish and arrogant. I therefore reply here.

I always enjoy people claiming the right to "free speech" on a privately own message board, as if free speech laws suddenly started applying to private organizations the same way they do to governments.

For the record, this is a message board totally owned by the XBMC Foundation. Users are welcome to talk, so long as they follow the rules of the message board. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=For...al_conduct There are zero free speech laws that apply to this board. If we want to ban a person, delete everything they say, or convert all their words to phrases from My Little Pony, we can do so. We generally don't, because we like being fair and open to users. But we absolutely can. If you want to speak on a public sidewalk or in a public forum, you are welcome to, and those free speech laws will be your best friend. If you want to speak here, you have to abide by our rules, because free speech laws are meaningless here and in literally any other forum that's owned by a person or organization.

By my count, you violated a minimum of 4 of our General conduct rules with the moderately off-topic, angry diatribe on the other thread. At the bare minimum, you should have been given a warning. Having your account suspended would not have been out of the question. Fortunately for you, the team members involved in the discussion and users such as Kibje had cooler heads than you appear to have.

My advice for the future is to take a deep breath before writing angry. Being positive and respecting other users and Team members is going to get you much, much further than angry demands. You don't have to take that advice, but I figured I'd just throw it out there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
dev/moderator attitudes0