Switched from analog sound to hdmi - every movie lags
Hello there!

I used to run a DVI cable from my pc to my TV + an analog sound cable.
But now I have bought a Nvidia geforce 560ti and that is connected with hdmi (hdmi with sound activated).

So I changed settings in xbmc to hdmi output... But here is the weird part, every movie suddenly lags? I get like 10-15 fps on every movie but the sound is crystal clear. Doesnt matter if i try to play a non-hd movie...still lags.

Also...every movie works fine in MPC or windows media player!!

I have tried to change various settings like sync display, vsync, different rendering method, direct sound/wasapi...and every other option available!

Someone please help me!
(2013-04-16, 22:31)stefffe Wrote: Hello there!

But now I have bought a Nvidia geforce 560ti and that is connected with hdmi (hdmi with sound activated).

So I changed settings in xbmc to hdmi output... But here is the weird part, every movie suddenly lags? I get like 10-15 fps on every movie but the sound is crystal clear. Doesnt matter if i try to play a non-hd movie...still lags.

I have tried to change various settings like sync display, vsync, different rendering method, direct sound/wasapi...and every other option available!

Someone please help me!

Wow... that's crazy. I have that same video card and I have zero problems using HDMI for video and sound. Have you tried using your DVI cable and analog audio cable with the new sound card to ensure that your issue is only repeatable with the HDMI cable?
(2013-04-16, 22:44)turnerm Wrote:
(2013-04-16, 22:31)stefffe Wrote: Hello there!

Someone please help me!

Yes, I tried switching back to like it was and it works like it did before...

Well I assume there is something wrong configured in XBMC since I can play every movie just fine in windows media player?
Wow... that's crazy. I have that same video card and I have zero problems using HDMI for video and sound. Have you tried using your DVI cable and analog audio cable with the new sound card to ensure that your issue is only repeatable with the HDMI cable?
Please post a screenshot of your xbmc audio settings. Screenshots from xbmc via the prtscr button on a keyboard, or the record button on most properly configured remotes.

EDIT: also confirm whether your HDMI goes straight to the TV or via an amplifier.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have a GTX 570 with asus P5Q-EM Q9300 and 4GB DDR2 RAM. never a problem with anything but when I change the audio in XBMC it stutters like CRAZY. I dont need to change from the default so I havent bothered. but wanted to let you know your not alone.
Just tried a clean install with default settings, did not help !
Please post a screenshot of your xbmc audio settings. Screenshots from xbmc via the prtscr button on a keyboard, or the record button on most properly configured remotes.

Also confirm whether your HDMI goes straight to the TV or via an amplifier.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I will post a screenshot in 7 hours... Im at work now!

HDMI is connected HTPC -> denon avr-3313 -> philips tv
And what codecs is your denon capable of?
(2013-04-17, 08:58)nickr Wrote: And what codecs is your denon capable of?

Its capable of Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX, dts-HD Master Audio, dts ES Discrete 6.1 and other standard codecs...

My graphic card nvidia geforce 520gt is capable to play same codecs
You don't explictly state it, but from mention of "MPC or windows media player" I'll assume you're using Windows, it would help if you told us what version.

You need to setup audio in accordence with AudioEngine/HOW-TO:_Configure_audio (wiki) & Windows_Settings_for_AudioEngine (wiki)

Then debug referring to http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=146911

My suggestions to get you started are to 1st thing check something is not incorrectly set on the Denon.

In HDMI Setup on the Denon make sure the following are set:

HDMI Audio Out: AMP
HDMI Control: OFF

If either of those need to be changed, then reboot your PC once you've done so.

Check what is shown in

Note what name is given to your HDMI device? does it have Nvidia or your AVR model displayed as part of the name?

Next step is to check Supported Formats

Here the Max Number of Channels should be 8.
Then the Encoded Formats should show all the varieties formats such as Dolby Digital & DTS that your AVR supports. IMPORTANT - This shows what you audio driver is reported as being supported and only formats shown here can be enabled in XBMC in the "capable receiver" setting, if a format is missing from here is must be disable in XBMC via the relevant "capable receiver" setting, for example if DTS-HD is missing then "DTS-HD capable receiver" in XBMC must be disabled.

If anything other than 8 channels or not reporting all formats such the the HD audio formats of TrueHD and DTS-HD are missing then go to Computer Management to check drivers

See what is listed under Sound, video and game controllers, use should see a listing for the Nvidia audio driver.

Check the properties of the driver and ensure Driver Provider shows as Nvidia, if Microsoft is shown here then you have a driver provided by your Windows installation or Windows Update.
Thanks for the help guys!

Alltho... I dont know what fixed the problem, but I deactivated the integrated soundcard in BIOS and did a windows update...and after that it worked!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switched from analog sound to hdmi - every movie lags0