Can't fast forward
I don't remember the last time I used FFWD or REWD in XBMC, even on non-Pi kit where this feature works. I now always use Up/Down to get me to roughly the right spot, Left/Right to fine tune my position and then Back (~8 second jump back) to begin watching...I find this approach is often much quicker than FFWD/REWD.

Best of luck getting FFWD/REWD to work, just understand it's not necessarily the best way to navigate at speed...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-05-03, 12:18)MilhouseVH Wrote: I don't remember the last time I used FFWD or REWD in XBMC, even on non-Pi kit where this feature works. I now always use Up/Down to get me to roughly the right spot, Left/Right to fine tune my position and then Back (~8 second jump back) to begin watching...I find this approach is often much quicker than FFWD/REWD.

Best of luck getting FFWD/REWD to work, just understand it's not necessarily the best way to navigate at speed...

+1 on this, so true
I'm with XBMC more than 7 years and I never really used FFWD/REWD, exact same way as you do is the best, fastest and most used option to navigate. Than the time jump if you look for exact spot in movie Wink
Well, I use FFWD often for example in cases that I am watching some boring sports event. I use FFWD to skip the boring parts and when I see something interesting, I can resume normal play. By skipping, I have no idea where the interesting stuff is.

There are definitely use cases for FFWD and REWD, thats why people are begging for it. Understand that skipping is not the best way to do everything Smile
(2013-05-03, 12:33)Poro Wrote: Well, I use FFWD often for example in cases that I am watching some boring sports event. I use FFWD to skip the boring parts and when I see something interesting, I can resume normal play. By skipping, I have no idea where the interesting stuff is.

There are definitely use cases for FFWD and REWD, thats why people are begging for it. Understand that skipping is not the best way to do everything Smile

cons&pros sure Wink
so if you have a knowledge and time give it a go than, good luck
(2013-04-30, 15:29)rikardo1979 Wrote: why you people cant just use time jumps or 10mins/30sec skips (up/down-left/right) ?

Well, in my case, I DO use that method. The problem is that if I hit them too fast, I lose sound for the rest of the movie.
I am not that old to watch silent movies.

To use this, I hit forward once, wait for sound, hit it again, rinse and repeat.

So no reliable way to do forward or back
(2013-05-03, 17:11)philhu Wrote:
(2013-04-30, 15:29)rikardo1979 Wrote: why you people cant just use time jumps or 10mins/30sec skips (up/down-left/right) ?

Well, in my case, I DO use that method. The problem is that if I hit them too fast, I lose sound for the rest of the movie.
I am not that old to watch silent movies.

To use this, I hit forward once, wait for sound, hit it again, rinse and repeat.

So no reliable way to do forward or back

in this case you have some issue either with your HW or XBMC as it works and should work, no matter how quick you do it.check your logs if u see anything suspicious
Thats my point. It must be an issue with XBMC on lower end hardware. I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything. I am trying to report a problem, that alot of us are seeing. The hardware is the standard RPI hardware. I agree it is an XBMC problem and normally works as intended.

The lower end hardware is showing coding/timing windows in functions that 'standard' hardware does not find.

Thanks
(2013-05-03, 18:56)philhu Wrote: Thats my point. It must be an issue with XBMC on lower end hardware. I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything. I am trying to report a problem, that alot of us are seeing. The hardware is the standard RPI hardware. I agree it is an XBMC problem and normally works as intended.

The lower end hardware is showing coding/timing windows in functions that 'standard' hardware does not find.

Thanks

I meant that this is problem on your particular RPi. So you need to narrow down what causing it. It can be anything on your system from SD card, PSU, attached device, networks, etc, etc or your XBMC distro installed on your SD card.
This all works just fine on Raspberry Pi XBMC distributions if it XBian, OpenELEC or Raspbmc. So issue would be on your system only
(2013-05-03, 19:18)rikardo1979 Wrote:
(2013-05-03, 18:56)philhu Wrote: Thats my point. It must be an issue with XBMC on lower end hardware. I'm not trying to accuse anyone of anything. I am trying to report a problem, that alot of us are seeing. The hardware is the standard RPI hardware. I agree it is an XBMC problem and normally works as intended.

Thanks

I meant that this is problem on your particular RPi. So you need to narrow down what causing it. It can be anything on your system from SD card, PSU, attached device, networks, etc, etc or your XBMC distro installed on your SD card.
This all works just fine on Raspberry Pi XBMC distributions if it XBian, OpenELEC or Raspbmc. So issue would be on your system only

It does it on 2 different (well, now 3) RPI units. It does it whether watching an item from a CIFS share on a windows box or QNAP or from an NFS share on a QNAP. It happens whether it is aac or dd5.1 audio (didn't try on dts). I've tried changing the priority of the xbmc stuff by setting to -1 or -2 with renice. I've tried alot. I found it happenned alot more with 1080p movies. I have mostly pulled 720p movies now and the problem is less, but still happens

The third unit is raspbmc - frodo 12.1, aeon Nox and nothing else. That is what I call my control unit.

My rpi units are connected/wired ethernet, not wireless, all 3 connected to an HP Procurve commercial switch. The windows system and QNAP are all connected to the same switch.

All 3 units have mpeg2 and audio licenses. All 3 have their own db to the same shares, so no MYSQL. I've used the same SD cards and usb sticks in all 3 devices. The first 2 are clones with diff ip addresses/names, the third I built from a clean raspbmc 12.1 distr. All are running raspbmc 12.1

The problem is simple, I just need to wait for the unit to 'settle' down after a 30 sec skip. When it settles, 1-3 seconds after hitting 30-sec skip and sound comes back on, I can skip ahead again. If I do not wait, I have a 20% to 60% chance of it winding up with audio either off or playing 1/2 sec blips of staticcy sound until I stop the movie. On the first 2, streamed movies do this too. I do not have any file stream sources on the 3rd control unit.

I guess I can try playing a local movie, or see if dts sound does it, but I do not see anyway to 'fix' it, unless it is a timing window in the network driver or something of that nature.
thanks for great feedback report Wink
it is a bit odd as I mentioned I never experienced such issue and havent heard anyone else to report such.
May I ask whats the details of your PSU's and if you have any USB devices connected direct into your USB ports? Also I see you using a custom skin on. I would highly recommend to use default Confluence as most of custom skins are just to heavy for RPi. Also what SD cards do you use? Slow cards may cause the performance issues too.
Sorry if I'm pain in **s with all the additional questions Wink
Ok, just had my first look at XBMC sources and especially its OMXPlayer.

It seems that the fast forward and rewind functionality has been intentionally disabled, as there is checks for "only pause or normal speed" in several places. The stand-alone OMXPlayer supports fast forward, so I just tried disabling those checks and now I got fast forward. But it does not seem to be very reliable as if I go to 32x something bad happens and the picture freezes even though the seek position seems to be at warp speed (ok, only 32x but pretty fast anyway).

So the basic stuff is there, but some work needs to be done to get it working reliably. But now I need some sleep Smile
Same here.. two XMBC machines, one RPi and one ION2 both connected to same switch, using SMB to connect to movies. Both use Openelec + XBMC 12.2 release. ION2 30 sec or 10 min FF does work, on the RPi it doesn't work most of the time, it is very slow mostly and loss of sound as well.. So there is a big difference in experience there..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't fast forward0