New HTPC, some consulting required
Hi,

i want to build a HTPC to replace my current setup. My current equipment is:

1x old 32" Mirai 1366x768 LCD TV (HDMI)
1x NEC VT595 1024x768 3LCD Projector (DVI-D with HDCP)
1x Analog Audio System (old Philips "Hifi" system)

What i currently want to do (now):

XBMC for 2D video and audio served by my HP N36L over Gigabit Ethernet. Content varies between HD and SD, mostly MPEG4-based formats, h264, some relics (VP6, MPEG2...).

Netflix/Hulu/Youtube... ideally integrated in XBMC

Some emulators (SNES, NES)

The system should work with my current setup. If possible, i want to install two seperate XBMC instances, one in case the projector is used and one in case the TV is used. For the XBMC database it would be possible use MySQL and to move it to the HPN36L.

Planned upgrades:

I'd like to have an update path since in six months i will move into a bigger flat, where i want to upgrade to an AVR/surround sound system and a new TV. While 3D Videos, Bluerays etc. are not relevant right now but, at least Blueray support will be added later.

My current plan:

SSD: Crucial M4 64GB (or any other cheap 32 GB model, doesn't really matter for my use case)
Case: Realan E-I7 (the 120W version is the only one i can get here apparently)
Mainboard: Asrock B75M-ITX or Asus P8H77-I
CPU: Pentium G2020 or i3-3225
CPU Cooler: Unsure, i would try the boxed one for now.
RAM: 4 GB
Remote: Hama X10 Remote i still have lying around, Android app, wireless Keyboard/Mouse
OS: Windows 7 or 8 (the Netflix app on Windows 8 looks good, but unfortunatly it is not really remotely controllable). If Netflix with netflix-desktop/wine-compholio can be integrated into XBMC OpenELEC would also be a viable option.

That setup would be cheap for now while still providing me the option to insert a low-profile dGPU if required at some point (if the 24p "bug" at some point bothers me for example), and would also provide a nice upgrade path for the processor. I'm a bit sceptical regarding the 120W power supply and cooling in case i switch to a dGPU setup. Regarding the CPU, i guess for now the G2020 with Intel HD graphics would be more then sufficient. If upgrading to a dGPU later should not be problematic i think the best option is the G2020.

I also thought about using an A8-5500 based system which should cover everything, but i'm unsure if it will be more problematic to keep cool than the G2020/i3/dGPU combo. Furthermore, i'm not really a fan of AMD GPUs, but mostly since i use Linux on my development/home PC and fglrx is problematic when used with recent kernel versions.

What do you think?
(2013-04-19, 14:59)mightytarzan Wrote: Case: Realan E-I7 (the 120W version is the only one i can get here apparently)

Where is "here"?
Germany
The internal DC powerboard is 120W but the AC adapter might be the 84W one so I'd check especially if you might use a dGPU later. I've used a Sapphire LP6670 video card with the E-i7 and the 120W AC adapter/DC board and it worked though I would have liked a little more headroom.
Yep, the versions sold in germany come with the 84W power supply, but that's not too problematic since i can always exchange it later. I'm more worried about the internal board. Which CPU/mainboard combo did you use with the Sapphire LP6670?
(2013-04-19, 20:55)mightytarzan Wrote: Yep, the versions sold in germany come with the 84W power supply, but that's not too problematic since i can always exchange it later. I'm more worried about the internal board. Which CPU/mainboard combo did you use with the Sapphire LP6670?

IIRC, it was i3-2120T and Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 or ASUS P8H61-I. I cannot remember which exactly. I did add a couple of 80mm fans.

I also have a 180W DC powerboard for the E-i7. When combined with our 150W AC adapter it's a thing of beauty.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC, some consulting required0