Android SMB Issue - Windows works - Android/Linux doesn't
What DNS has to do with it: In your log you are connecting to Gerald-PC and to NAS, which are both dns names that need to be resolved.
If you are since connecting to IP addresses only, that needs new logs.

I know some routers behave weird with DNS (like my Fritz!box that always gives itself as the dns server over DHCP even when that has been overruled in the config).
Sadly, I don't think I personally will be of much more help here.
(2013-04-28, 13:38)Kibje Wrote: What DNS has to do with it: In your log you are connecting to Gerald-PC and to NAS, which are both dns names that need to be resolved.
If you are since connecting to IP addresses only, that needs new logs.

I know some routers behave weird with DNS (like my Fritz!box that always gives itself as the dns server over DHCP even when that has been overruled in the config).
Sadly, I don't think I personally will be of much more help here.

No in my log i am trying to play a file from mysql (SMB ip 192.168.1.104), and also browsing gerald-pc and NAS.

i should probably point out that the non internet router is running DD-WRT CFW so it shud be very configurable Smile

Thanks for your help.
I have had the same issue and was advised to access through the IP address .... I have not had a chance to try it ... If you try it, please let me know how it goes. Access if my NAS drives is no issue through the SMB only my sacred drives attached to my windows pc.

Bobo
Maybe unrelated, but I had a previous problem where if I used my Windows to log me into the network shares, XBMC on windows didn't need them. If I then tried to use my advancedsettings on a device that didn't have a network share manager of some sort, it wouldn't connect and would show that it wouldn't 'stat'.
What I did, was export my library to individual nfo files, then removed my sources from XBMC (the windows one). Then when I re-added the sources, I made sure to use a login name and password (add network source). I then let it rescan my library. I also had the flag set in my advanced settings file for importing watched status. Then on my other devices, I copied my advancedsettings and passwords files. After that everything worked.
I have similar problem but also a temporary solution.

My setup:
I am using the Ouya with that hardware acceleration build (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005).

I just purchased a new router (WD My Net N750) that has USB for external storage to go with my new external HD (WD My Book 3TB). The router create a SMB share that I map in Win7.

The issue:
Then I tried to use it in XBMC and I was disapointed to see that while I can access router's share and browse folder, some file format just refuse to work. AVI play fine, but not mkv. Sid play fine, but not mp3. XBMC hang for some time then say that it coudn't access the file.

I tried the suggested "use IP instead" but it didnt help.

My Solution:
This was working perfectly before when I was sharing directly from my win7 PC, but I didn't want to re-copy all my media back on it so I tried the following:

Create a symbolik folder link:
Code:
mklink /d C:\XBMC_Share_Bridge \\mynetn750\WD_My_Book_1140_35

and then share the XBMC_Share_Bridge folder like any normal folder.

XBMC can now access all the content of my network storage using my computer's shared folder instead without issue. Not ideal, as it mean you must have your computer turned on, but its better than having to keep duplicate copy of your media.
Some of you having problems connecting to SMB shares via android may find relief in making these registry changes to your windows computers. Android and Linux (OpenELEC in my case) often have network browse/domain master issues, I had problems with both and after making these changes have not had a problem since. There are 5 changes listed, I believe the last 3 solved my connection problem, but since I made all five at once I can't say the first two are not also needed.
I have the exact same issue. My setup is also MYSQL. I copied over the advanced settings.xml and I can see all my movies and series etc fine. They but they wont play and the error is. Can find the file.

What I suspect is even though I can access the files via es file explorer this is because it has the password saved in es file explorer. When you open xbmc it does not have access or a way to put in the password to those shares.

Some people have said you need to copy your passwords.xml file over to the android version too. I looked. I don't have one. I found a guide to create one from your sources.xml but it was too confusing. Also my sources.xml did not have user@Pass in there as the guide said it would.

Have I added my shares wrong somehow? I know if one device can't access the servers shares it wont work. But you just have to access them once on each device and tick to save the password and you are done. Android doesn't really have an option to do that. So I belive the passwords.xml file is the solution. The other solutions provided here are a bit over the top and would require breaking other working setups.
Solution. Needed the passwords.xml file on the android device. Or if you find creating the passwords.xml a bit dificult, on the android device add a new video source smb windows network. Browse to the path you want and select a single file.

This will create the passwords.xml and with the correct entry. Save the passwords.xml and as I am not sure if deleting the share removes it from the xml file. So make a copy delete the shares then put the copy back if you need too.
my issue on android nightly was, that I used the IP address and not the smb host name.

I use advanced config to load the sources.xml from the remote host per smb.
There the IP works.

It shows all the content (I'm using mysql) but was unable to play the media or access the file sources.

Just after I did a path substitution from the IP to the hostname and added the hostname in the password.xml too, it worked.

All this I had only to do with the official nightly. in the build from xbmcandroid.com it was working with the IPs.

So if it does not work for you, try a test with adding a new smb host and using the name it shows when you browse the workgroup. Then add a simple file source from this host without setting the content and try to play a file from this source.
Did anyone solve this issue? I've been having the same problems since Mavericks was released and SMB got messed with. Neither my iMac or MBP XBMC connections to my Win7 Media Center would work any longer. Now, I've just set up XBMC on my Fire TV and I'm having the same issues. What's weird is my husband's two XBMC installs (both Win7) can easily connect to the SMB shares, but when we try from any non-win machine we get a "Connection Timed Out" error.

I've followed every bit of advice I've dug up through Google Searches.

I've tried connecting directly to folders and via IP with the same results. I've un-joined our home group on my Media Server PC, I've checked all the shares and permissions. I'm at my wits end. I can think of no other way to get my media folders linked.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly my issue.
This helped me thank you! I needed the exact smb://user:password@SYNOLOGY/videos even though the account was a guest and had read write, AND I never needed to log on or give and credentials in a windows machine. Also a problem I ran into is I was interchanging smb://user:password@SYNOLOGY/videos and smb://user:[email protected]/videos. Stick with either the NAME or the IP ADDRESS.
I'm having this issue too on OSX as my SAMBA server over ethernet but when I enable wi-fi on my OS X machine Kodi/Android can see the SAMBA shares, ES File Explorer can see the SAMBA shares just fine with WiFi switched off on the OS X machine and I can play files via ES File Explorer through Kodi via the SAMBA interface,

FIXED: I had to add the SAMBA source manually with the IP address of my OSX server.
(2013-05-31, 19:12)whitebelly Wrote: Some of you having problems connecting to SMB shares via android may find relief in making these registry changes to your windows computers. Android and Linux (OpenELEC in my case) often have network browse/domain master issues, I had problems with both and after making these changes have not had a problem since. There are 5 changes listed, I believe the last 3 solved my connection problem, but since I made all five at once I can't say the first two are not also needed.

Thanks, this solved my problem! I just changed the first three (size, largesystemcache, lmannounce) and my android tablet can read from my Windows 7 smb.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Issue - Windows works - Android/Linux doesn't0