XBMC on Pi: Add TV/monitor Power Save support when idle?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
mark@captur.net Offline
I am using a tv with DVI input (no cec) and teh latest helix build which supports 'fake' suspend on pi. this script stopped turning tv off as i quick fix i commented out teh following
# If the Pi can suspend, don't schedule the EV_HDMI_OFF event or restart XBMC
# to re-init the HDMI. Instead, just log various events and call ceccontrol
# whenever sleeping or waking.
-> self.cansuspend = clientState["cansuspend"]

thus can suspend remains false and all works as before. could you make this configurable from config file as to avoid modifying script each time it is updated?
find quote
Milhouse Offline
Team-XBMC Member
Have you reported that fake suspend is not working in your distributions test thread? Fixing fake suspend so that it actually works for you would be the best solution.

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
find quote
FAMMAR Offline
This must me a stupid question here, but how do you update the Raspberry Pi firmware? I am now on Gotham 13.1
find quote
vbat99 Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-06-19 20:41)FAMMAR Wrote:  This must me a stupid question here, but how do you update the Raspberry Pi firmware? I am now on Gotham 13.1

Best check your version of XBMC, ie Openelec or Raspbmc forums.

But, if Raspbmc, check the first post of this thread, RaspBMC XBMC test builds

Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - XBMC Media Companion
find quote
FAMMAR Offline
(2014-06-19 20:47)vbat99 Wrote:  
(2014-06-19 20:41)FAMMAR Wrote:  This must me a stupid question here, but how do you update the Raspberry Pi firmware? I am now on Gotham 13.1

Best check your version of XBMC, ie Openelec or Raspbmc forums.

But, if Raspbmc, check the first post of this thread, RaspBMC XBMC test builds

Openelec 4.0.5 on Pi
find quote
Milhouse Offline
Team-XBMC Member
(2014-06-19 20:53)FAMMAR Wrote:  Openelec 4.0.5 on Pi

Firmware is updated as part of the upgrade process with OpenELEC, so your firmware will be correct for the version of OpenELEC you are using.

Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
find quote
Milhouse Offline
Team-XBMC Member
(2014-06-18 16:52)Schaussi Wrote:  Thank you for the script, it works fine for me.

Suggestion for a new version:
Maybe you could also handle the key "0 / Off" key to disable HDMI output.

I use a Zotac remote for all OpenElec/XBMC devices, and every station uses the same key mapping, so I would not like to modify that on the RPi devices.
According to the console "irw" command, the name of the key is "74 0 KEY_POWER".

I am not familiar with the JSON output, but maybe the keypress also is logged there and you could handle it in the script?

Thank you

The power key isn't logged via JSON and the script isn't monitoring irw so there is no way to implement your request using this script. You could try mapping the power key to a separate script that toggles HDMI, though this might confuse the rbphdmi script.

Also, "virtual suspend" is now available in Helix R-Pi test builds that for most R-Pi users will eventually make this script redundant, useful only to those that require additional cec functionality.

(This post was last modified: 2014-06-23 19:44 by Milhouse.)
find quote
vbat99 Offline
Posting Freak
(2014-06-23 19:35)MilhouseVH Wrote:  Also, "virtual suspend" is now available in Helix R-Pi test builds that for most R-Pi users will eventually make this script redundant, useful only to those that require additional cec functionality.

I was wondering about that, as I hadn't wanted to upgrade to miappa's latest test builds, incase it broken what is currently working for me.

Media Companion Dev.
find quote
Milhouse Offline
Team-XBMC Member
(2014-06-23 20:04)vbat99 Wrote:  I was wondering about that, as I hadn't wanted to upgrade to miappa's latest test builds, incase it broken what is currently working for me.

rbphdmi will detect if "virtual suspend" is supported and then only make the calls to the cec script (if @bin.ceccontrol is specified) on sleep and wake notifications, leaving XBMC to control HDMI on (wake) and off (sleep).

Anyone not using @bin.ceccontrol should have no reason to use rbphdmi at all once they are using a build of xbmc that supports virtual suspend.

In your case as you are using @bin.ceccontrol you can continue using rbphdmi unchanged with virtual suspend builds, with xbmc.bin controlling HDMI power rather than rbphdmi as before. Any problems, let me know...

(This post was last modified: 2014-06-23 20:21 by Milhouse.)
find quote
vbat99 Offline
Posting Freak
Might just give it a go.

Thanks so much for all the advise.

Media Companion Dev.
find quote