OS X CPU usage on Mac Mini Mid 2011
I have noticed then when playing 1080p files in 10.1 on my Mac Mini 2011 (the one with AMD Radeon 6330M) the CPU usage is over 50% all the time. I checked by pressing O during playback and CPU usage is shown there. Playback is fine, but on my previous and way less powerful Atom and Nvidia ION based nettop, I remember CPU running under 15% on playback of the same files. Is this normal?
Depends if you have VDA Hardware decoding enabled or not and of the used codec (on osx only h.264 codec can be hardware accelerated - all others have to be done in cpu - hence the cpu usage is higher on non-h.264 content - on the nvidia much more codecs can be hw decoded...).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thank you very much for your reply. The movies are h264. I enabled VDA hardware support from within XBMC. Do I need to enable it from anywhere else within OSX?
Nope. You could hit "o" when the movie plays and see if it really uses vda (should be something like ff-vda or so - ff-h264 would indicate software decode).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Just tried and it is in fact displaying vda-h264, so hardware accelleration is enabled. CPU is still 40-50%. Playback is fine, so functionally it's OK. I just thought it strange. Just to give a clearer picture, audio is all passthrough, so practically no processing there either. Tonight I have an Macbook Pro with Intel HD Graphics 3000 which I'll hook up to the same system just to see what CPU is doing. Will post here. Thanks again for all your efforts!
Could you use top from cmdline instead of using the debug overlay? The overlay itself could drain the cpu. Beside that we have really bigger problems then this on osx ... so i wouldn't count on anyone looking into it as its not a real showstopper - is it?
I just wanted to see whether it's normal. I really appreciate your input. Definitely not a showstopper.... Thanks!
Final update to this..... using top, CPU is in fact in the 12% region, with XBMC using about 5%, which is what I would expect. Basically when pressing O, CPU usage is being reported incorrectly. No biggie, just wanted to point it out.
It is not reported incorectly - the "o" overlay is cpu intensive and somit drains cpu...
I ran top while O was active, so I think it's actually reporting incorrectly.
mhhh top might only show the cpu load of one core while xbmc sums them up?
Have you tried opening up Activity Monitor?
You could try Activity Monitor like aerick79 suggested but if you still want to use the top command you can use this suggestion.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CPU usage on Mac Mini Mid 20110