moca
I am currently waiting for the parts to build the A8 build recommended here. Now to figure out the best way to stream.

I have cable internet through my local cable company. The main router is located on our main floor. I have an extender on the second floor directly above the main router. Due to the configuration of the house running an ethernet cable to the new build isn't a realistic option. I am leaning towards MoCA but not sure if it will work with my set up.

I have an antenna for local TV channels via coaxial cable to TVs in the rooms with the extender and where the new build will be. Will these coaxial cables work for the MoCA?
I seem to recall a thread about this very subject and it even had diagrams.
Do a search and you should find it. (I'll post a link if I find it)
thank
I did find the post with the diagram. In most cases people talk about using cable from cable companies, I would be using cable from an antenna, would that still work?
Chck out my sig...

MoCA is a great alternative to ethernet, BUT keep in mind, you will only get 100 Base-T speeds for machines connected to MoCA bridges. For me this is not an issue simply because I can stream all file sizes(MKV, M2TS..etc..) fluid if they do not exceed 15-20GB. MoCA tech has not yet implemented Gigabit speed through bridges offered to the public. I find this pretty odd simply because Verizon fios routers are Gigabit and use MoCA technology...go figure!
CpTHOOK: The MOCA expert! Smile

I'm glad you responded since I remembered your excellent comments on that original thread some months back.
My main question still is, without actual cable company cable TV can I use the coaxial cable from my antenna that splits and goes to the TVs throughout the house?

I plan on connecting one MoCA adapter to the router extender and the coaxial cable that comes into the room and then a coaxial cable from the MoCA to the TV. The other adapter will connect in our bedroom via the coaxial cable, connect the ethernet cable to the htpc from the MoCA and coaxial cable from the MoCA to the tv tuner in the htpc.

Will that work?
Thanks Gort for the kind words.., but I'm far from an expert! I have done extensive research tho' and communicate frequently with MoCA developers to keep up with its development.

@OP
Your question is a very good one, but not knowing exactly how your home is wired its hard to say. One thing I do know is that most Sattelite subscribers have problems with implementing MoCA networks because the wiring is not transitive between wall-jacks, all wiring goes directly from wall jacks to Sattelite dish. This seems similar to your set-up, except you have an antenna. Best thing to do is click on the MoCA link in my sig.... ReadUp, then give it a try.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the help, it dawned on me since I am thinking about using a actiontec product to call and ask them. The tech I talked to felt it should work just fine over my coaxial and it doesn't have to have a cable company signal to work, just the active cable. Hopefully he is right, I don't want to have to pay to return this if it doesn't work.
Oh no.... if your question was specifically relate to weather MoCA is dependent on the signal provided by Cable company....the answer to that is absolutely not.
That was my main concern. I am hoping this will work with my set up.
MoCa provides 10/100 and I believe some editions will also send PoE through as well. Gigabit Moca was announced by Broadcom in January 2013 at the CES show they had some basic examples. Each MoCa run will only provide up to 100 Mbps speeds, but if you design a network correctly there are always ways to speed that up.

Verizon does not have Gigabit speeds through their MoCa connections, but they do have a dedicated 100 Mbps per run which is more than enough for their video distribution requirements.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
moca0