Technical Restrictions on Displaying Addons Through DLNA
Hey all, I haven't checked out the XBMC source code yet, but I recently switched over to your platform from TVersity, whom, as you know now charge for the basic version (which I couldn't get to work on Win8 x64, and was not issued a refund).

I'm just wondering what are the technical restrictions in not being able to use addons through DLNA. It seems like, since everything is displayed in a list view, a list view should be possible through DLNA. Granted, we'd have to make sure that the request is fulfilled within DLNA timeout settings.

Here's an example: Let's say I have the YouTube addon hooked up to my YouTube favourites. I'd like to be able to play my favourites via DLNA on my Smart TV (or some such device). When I click a video, my XBMC server downloads the file, and transcodes it on-the-fly to a format my TV can play.

Is there any effort underway to implement this type of feature?
Don't post in development with requests
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Though I'm sure this is a much requested feature, I posted in development in hopes of finding the technical restrictions holding this feature back.
Latest nightly builds (wiki) can push some add-on content over UPnP/DLNA using "play with" from the contextual menu (and enabling "look for UPnP devices" in Settings -> Services -> UPnP).
(2013-04-23, 21:58)MarkyC Wrote: Here's an example: Let's say I have the YouTube addon hooked up to my YouTube favourites. I'd like to be able to play my favourites via DLNA on my Smart TV (or some such device). When I click a video, my XBMC server downloads the file, and transcodes it on-the-fly to a format my TV can play.

Is there any effort underway to implement this type of feature?
XBMC has no transcoding yet - but it's on the list, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162225
afaik there is nothing really stopping it and I think rygel etc does this (with their plugins). So its just a matter of making the upnp server in xbmc plugin aware (most likely not the smallest of tasks Tongue)
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2013-04-24, 11:07)da-anda Wrote: XBMC has no transcoding yet - but it's on the list, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162225

Interesting. I'm also a CS student. I'll see if I can join XBMC's GSoC project (I sent a message to alcoheca), since I already have a nicely built profiles.xml from my TVersity sertup. I can look into porting some of these settings over to XBMC.

(2013-04-24, 08:43)Ned Scott Wrote: Latest nightly builds (wiki) can push some add-on content over UPnP/DLNA using "play with" from the contextual menu (and enabling "look for UPnP devices" in Settings -> Services -> UPnP).

Thank you, I'll look into this.

(2013-04-24, 11:34)topfs2 Wrote: afaik there is nothing really stopping it and I think rygel etc does this (with their plugins). So its just a matter of making the upnp server in xbmc plugin aware (most likely not the smallest of tasks Tongue)

Thanks for the tip, I'm looking at it now
(2013-04-24, 11:34)topfs2 Wrote: afaik there is nothing really stopping it and I think rygel etc does this (with their plugins). So its just a matter of making the upnp server in xbmc plugin aware (most likely not the smallest of tasks Tongue)

Pulling up a very old thread. Any chance to make UPNP server addon aware? I would really love to host music addons (e.g., Spotify) on Kodi and then access streams from UPNP clients. Any chance?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Technical Restrictions on Displaying Addons Through DLNA0