White dots appearing on the screen
HI,

I have had my raspberry pi now for 2 weeks and I installed xbmc onto it. Once i turn on the raspberry pi and xbmc loads I tend to get random whiet dots all over the screen and they never go away. I can't remember if they were there at the start when I installed xbmc. They are really annoying when you are trying to watch something on it. I don't think it can be from my graphics card, I am using my iphone plug to power the raspberry pi with a micro usb cable, the cables are all connected correctly. I don't think its over heating as its just new and I have been told that the raspberry pi doesn't get too hot as you can leave them running all day long. I thing that I think that could of happened was that I plugged my 500GB external hard drive into the pi without a power usb hub and this might of damaged the sd card that the OS is on.
Does this sound like something that could happen or is there another solution to it?

Thanks in advance
Hi!

I find it hard to believe that connecting an external hdd would destroy the SD card. My best guess would be hardware failure of some sort.
Or there might be some bugs, the XBMC for raspberry is relevantly new, so it could be a possibility. You say you are using your iphone
plug to power the raspberry, doesn't it come with its own power supply? possible your raspberry doesn't get enough juice?
As for overheating you can feel that, it would be very hot.

Sry, I don't have anything else to give you, but this should give you some things to check out.
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
Thanks for the reply, know the raspberry pi doesn't come with its own power supply. I hope its got to do with not getting enough juice, the iphone charger plug is 5 volts and 1amp. Ill try get one with higher specs and see if that fixes it.
First check to see what the rasp wants...so you don't kill it
The Problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
Do you understand?
Its more likely some setting is causing this rather than anything else, some threads/posts are in these forums, Why dont you look around.
Not having or knowing what power requirements and not having proper power supply for this is pretty silly either way.

uNi
I know that the pi will run off 5 volts and .7amps. The more voltage you have the easier it is to use the usb ports without a powered hub. But I am wondering because I inserted my hard drive without a powered hub that it might of damaged something. Ive looked at plenty of posts and what setting they tell me to change I don't have the option to do on my xbmc
Directly connecting a hard disk is likely to exceed the power supply capacity, and you'll find the voltage drops.
This will usually crash/reboot the pi, and if it was writing to the sdcard at the time could have corrupted it.

It won't have caused any permanent damage. Re-imaging the sdcard should be fine.

The white dots sounds like this:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#I...VI_monitor
So your PI was fine before this?

As for XBMC setting to chnage, sure you have it on your Pi why would you think you dont?

uNi
I think it was fine before it, I can't remember because I inserted the hard drive from the beginning.
They say changing the video rendering method should fix it. But I can't change it off auto. I should have 4 options to choose from.
Look at what popcornmix said, personally I dont have a PI but it seems to me if you dont have more options is because they are not supported on your hardware.

uNi
Yes thanks for all the help I think ill just re-image raspbmc onto my sd card
I would seriously consider getting a powered usb hub as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
White dots appearing on the screen0