• 30(current)
Archive - old posts
(2013-07-28, 16:54)toiva Wrote:
(2013-07-25, 20:59)toiva Wrote: Vertical menu looks really great. I don't personally quite understand where horizontal menus are needed.

VIdeos is always the focused item when returning to the vertical menu. I think usability would improve if it would remember the focused item like the horizontal menu does.

It would be nice to see album years in the media views where it's possible and there's space to to add them. I often listen to albums starting from the oldest and proceeding to the next. If i'm not really familiar with the artist i do not know this information.

Do you think the new busy dialog, both the graphic and the font could be a bit smaller? They look huge on a 92" screen.

Not to whine about every small detail (Laugh) but what's the purpose for this control in the busy dialog? This smaller background is not aligned within the bigger background graphic.

Code:
<control type="image" description="Dialog BG">
        <posx>6</posx>
        <posy>30</posy>
        <width>48</width>
        <height>48</height>
        <texture>dialogs/TinyDialog.png</texture>
      </control>

Is the BusyBar.gif supposed to be somewhere..?
(2013-07-26, 23:03)Paulnd Wrote: Hello

Thanks for a great skin! Is there any reason why the "0"s look different?

No idea! I'll change font and we'll see if that helps.

(2013-07-27, 04:17)MK1984 Wrote: is there a setting / xml config that can be changed so the power menu dialog doesn't appear? i.e. shutdown, quit buttons etc

Not at the moment but it is on to-do list.

(2013-07-25, 20:59)toiva Wrote: Vertical menu looks really great. I don't personally quite understand where horizontal menus are needed.

I agree. I have made a poll (but I was stupid enough not to make it public) in order to receive some feedback about preferred layouts and it seems that we are in minority.

I'm still thinking about possibility of showing add-ons as a separate items on home in vertical layout. That way you could have 5 shortcuts on the shelf for each category. Second thing I considered is changing the video links to allow custom video nodes support http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Custom_video_nodes ...but that would mean you won't be taken directly to All movies from the home screen but to your custom filters instead.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-07-29, 05:15)calhaus Wrote: First of all, love the skin, it's really great! Smile

1) I have a playlist (to randomize movies) set as favourite, and i was trying to add it to the main menu, but after i've done that it starts a movie instead of showing of showing the playlist. Is it possible toi change that?

2) In the movies view mode "list" can we have the option to have movie scores together with the titles?
And in tv shows shows in the mode "list" the number of unwatched eps. like in the banner mode?

3) On the shelf options could you add other options like "in progress" tv shows instead of new series, and maybe random movies instead of new movies.

4) Still in shelf could we be able to add favourites along with the add-ons? (On vertical view, they show up nicely, but not on horizontal view)

5) On the player could you down the opacity just a bit, i normally use subtitles and that would help a bit when the menu shows up not to cover completely the subs.

EDIT: 6) On vertical mode, every time i've enter a menu and go back, the third menu is always the one getting highlighted. For example if i enter in "tv shows" and go back, the selected menu will not be the tv shows but will be the "add-ons" for example. This only happens in vertical mode, for every menu except "favourites" that stays in "favourites" if i go back.

Thank in advance, you're awesome!

1. just follow instructions it asks you what you want play or open.
2. movie ratings are there, just after duration
3. maybe if someone else code it and make it optional. Though, I'm not interested in random movies at all, sorry.
4. it would add an extra step to get to recent items. Using a remote button to to straight to favourites seems like a more reasonable option to me?
5. you still won't be able to read subtitles and in addition you'll have illegible OSD - just won't work. I have a different idea but need time to try it out.
6. will be fixing that soon

Thanks for feedback.

(2013-07-28, 16:54)toiva Wrote: It would be nice to see album years in the media views where it's possible and there's space to to add them. I often listen to albums starting from the oldest and proceeding to the next. If i'm not really familiar with the artist i do not know this information.

I'll look into this but please remind me if I forget.

(2013-07-30, 09:33)toiva Wrote: Not to whine about every small detail (Laugh) but what's the purpose for this control in the busy dialog? This smaller background is not aligned within the bigger background graphic.

Code:
<control type="image" description="Dialog BG">
        <posx>6</posx>
        <posy>30</posy>
        <width>48</width>
        <height>48</height>
        <texture>dialogs/TinyDialog.png</texture>
      </control>

Is the BusyBar.gif supposed to be somewhere..?

I'll be fixing this soon, thanks for reporting.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

0.4.4 (gitHub)

Fixes focus on home
Fixes dialogs and busy
Optimise Recent items
Change font in effort to fix 0 weirdness on some platforms
Add option for fullscreen shelf with vertical layout (should boost RPi performance with vertical home)
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-07-30, 11:40)pecinko Wrote:
(2013-07-29, 05:15)calhaus Wrote: First of all, love the skin, it's really great! Smile

1) I have a playlist (to randomize movies) set as favourite, and i was trying to add it to the main menu, but after i've done that it starts a movie instead of showing of showing the playlist. Is it possible toi change that?

2) In the movies view mode "list" can we have the option to have movie scores together with the titles?
And in tv shows shows in the mode "list" the number of unwatched eps. like in the banner mode?

3) On the shelf options could you add other options like "in progress" tv shows instead of new series, and maybe random movies instead of new movies.

4) Still in shelf could we be able to add favourites along with the add-ons? (On vertical view, they show up nicely, but not on horizontal view)

5) On the player could you down the opacity just a bit, i normally use subtitles and that would help a bit when the menu shows up not to cover completely the subs.

EDIT: 6) On vertical mode, every time i've enter a menu and go back, the third menu is always the one getting highlighted. For example if i enter in "tv shows" and go back, the selected menu will not be the tv shows but will be the "add-ons" for example. This only happens in vertical mode, for every menu except "favourites" that stays in "favourites" if i go back.

Thank in advance, you're awesome!

1. just follow instructions it asks you what you want play or open.
2. movie ratings are there, just after duration
3. maybe if someone else code it and make it optional. Though, I'm not interested in random movies at all, sorry.
4. it would add an extra step to get to recent items. Using a remote button to to straight to favourites seems like a more reasonable option to me?
5. you still won't be able to read subtitles and in addition you'll have illegible OSD - just won't work. I have a different idea but need time to try it out.
6. will be fixing that soon

1. Thanks it worked, i feel dumb now.

2. Thats was not what i meant, i've meant something like showing the rating of the movies or the unwatched episodes in the list not in the description. For exemple the "banner view" for tv shows has this option, but not the "list view": http://i.imgur.com/VWxiMmO.png , maybe this could be added as an option along with the watched/unwatched/partialy watched icons already made option or with the option, just by showing in the views. Since both, ratings and unwatched eps numbers are important infos it would be a good idea and easy to see that particular infos.

3. I just want something different from recent movies/tv shows, because recent movies/tv shows displays watched items, so most of the times recent items is useless because i've seen that recent movies/episodes but they still show. and for example you could had "in progress" tv shows with one episode (the next unwatched ep.) for each tv show.

4. and 5. Ok, i understand.

6. It's fixed, thanks Big Grin
0.4.4 In xbmc settings there are 2 entries opening the same windows: Addons and Addon Browser.

And about vertical menu, just a thought. It's 500someting pixels wide, the widest standart menu entry (favorites) is 300px. So we always have 200-250px black stripe on the left. Did you try to narrow it down? IMHO it would be looking better.
OK

I didn't develop the skin with less powerful devices in mind as I use it on mac mini. I should be able to test on RPi soon thanks to a help from very nice XBMC user so I was wondering what do users of ATV and RPi have to say about possible skin improvements?

Someone proposed an option to disable fanart and that should be fairly simple to implement in some views. Is there anything else that I may look at? Relyter said something about fairly log load time of video OSD (several second). Is that RPi specific or does it happen in other skins as well?

Just post some feedbackSmile
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

For me fanart loads instantly on the pi. The only issue I find on the pi is a long wait when navigating to the full Movie and TV views (movies especially as I have > 1000 of them), but I'm not sure if that's a skin issue.
(2013-07-31, 12:24)relyter Wrote: 0.4.4 In xbmc settings there are 2 entries opening the same windows: Addons and Addon Browser.

And about vertical menu, just a thought. It's 500someting pixels wide, the widest standart menu entry (favorites) is 300px. So we always have 200-250px black stripe on the left. Did you try to narrow it down? IMHO it would be looking better.

I sure missed your hawk-eye mate - you are probably best beta tester that I had Smile Will fix.

As for main menu width - you should be thinking about other users that don't use english language. Furthermore, if/when XBMC start to support custom nodes on home page you could make a new category - "Vacation Videos" or some such. Finally I use PleXBMC add-on and since Plex already allows more than one category for Movies I already have few labels that are longer than "Favourites".

And since we are here - I'm considering an option of using single background on Home so that the shelf could be more usable on RPi - as it is now both background image and shelf items are being loaded per home menu item. Thoughts?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-07-31, 12:38)bigwillch Wrote: For me fanart loads instantly on the pi. The only issue I find on the pi is a long wait when navigating to the full Movie and TV views (movies especially as I have > 1000 of them), but I'm not sure if that's a skin issue.

Nice of you to bring it up since I can post my view on this in hope XBMC team members are reading this.

IMHO, XBMC's insufficient filtering is to blame and bad user habits that developed in time because of that. Again, just my few cents, feel free to disagree.

With 1000 movies it is very inefficient to go directly to "all movies" node. So, what would make more sense?

First thing is support for different Movie categories, so you can split your library:

- Documentaries (200 items)
- Cartoons (150)
- Anime (300)
- Movies (350)
- Vacation Clips (250)
- LIVE TV Recordings (150)

that way you can actually have 1400 Video/Movie items but RPi would need to load significantly less upon entering the node.

Second thing is better filtering support. XBMC pre-built filters are not cutting it for me and majority of users (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51605 ) With filters like

- unwatched - recently released - recently viewed - recently added - in progress

you could further filter out given category and reduce both load time and time needed to find content you're after. You can add custom filters manually to XBMC ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Custom_video_nodes ) but you will still be filtering out 1000 Movie items.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-07-31, 12:38)pecinko Wrote: I sure missed your hawk-eye mate - you are probably best beta tester that I had Smile Will fix.
Happy to help. Blush

Quote:As for main menu width - you should be thinking about other users that don't use english language. Furthermore, if/when XBMC start to support custom nodes on home page you could make a new category - "Vacation Videos" or some such. Finally I use PleXBMC add-on and since Plex already allows more than one category for Movies I already have few labels that are longer than "Favourites".
OK, i see. And i may guess that XBMC skining engine doesn't allow to create "auto-adjustable-to-label-width" group?

Quote:And since we are here - I'm considering an option of using single background on Home so that the shelf could be more usable on RPi - as it is now both background image and shelf items are being loaded per home menu item. Thoughts?
Not yet. I would need to connect RPi back to TV to check the performance of the latest vertical menu with shelf. If it's really needed tweaks.

(2013-07-31, 12:27)pecinko Wrote: Relyter said something about fairly log load time of video OSD (several second). Is that RPi specific or does it happen in other skins as well?

Did i? Smile I beleive i mean only first time OSD loaded. And since there was no similar reports i think it was mostly slower SD card to blame.
(2013-07-31, 13:21)relyter Wrote: OK, i see. And i may guess that XBMC skining engine doesn't allow to create "auto-adjustable-to-label-width" group?

Even if it would be doable it would mess shelf items badly and all of that for the sake of showing some more wallpaper Smile
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-07-31, 12:27)pecinko Wrote: OK

I didn't develop the skin with less powerful devices in mind as I use it on mac mini. I should be able to test on RPi soon thanks to a help from very nice XBMC user so I was wondering what do users of ATV and RPi have to say about possible skin improvements?

Someone proposed an option to disable fanart and that should be fairly simple to implement in some views. Is there anything else that I may look at? Relyter said something about fairly log load time of video OSD (several second). Is that RPi specific or does it happen in other skins as well?

Just post some feedbackSmile

Running XBian here on my Pi with Amber, and using the "Big fanart" layout works great - way way better than any other skin.

I have maybe 300 movies and about 2000 TV episodes, going into Movies or TV Series from Main menu takes maybe 5-10 seconds for screen to appear - perfectly acceptable (this is all on wired network over powerline adapters 180Mb+ speed, local mysql database on NAS, same location for media)

Its also the same on my ATV2, probably the 1st skin i've managed to use big fanart screens on without it crashing out of XBMC if I try to navigate too quickly.
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
Hello,

I get an error when I try to install the latest git-hub version : "Addon does not have the correct structure"

I "download ZIP" from the git-hub and then "install from zip file" which usually works, not sure why it doesn't work this time?
Nevermind..
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Archive - old posts10