Pi + Windows 7 + Sync problem
Still not quite with you.
My films are on my NAS which is running a flavour of Linux.
My Pi connects to my NAS via NFS without a problem.
My Windows 7 Pro (and starter) PC's are unable to connect to the NAS via NFS.

Surely I require a NFS client on the Windows 7 PC's to be able to communicate with the NAS via NFS?
Once I am able to do this I understand that this will resolve my sync issues between the Pi and Windows devices as they will then all be communicating in the same way.
That's crazy but no offense your previous posts were very confusing. It should connect fine to an nfs server and really should have nothing to do with windows as the nfs client is in xbmc. I have 2 windows 7 machines both 32 and 64 bit connecting fine to my nfs server running off a NAS box. Read this article very carefully particularly how your nfs server should be set up: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=NFS.
Sorry! *embarrassed shuffle away*
I'll try again and follow the instructions a little more carefully.
So in theory I can connect to a NFS share on a Linux based NAS from xbmc running on a Windows 7 Pro or Starter device with no additional software?
More than theory, you definitely can as long as you set it up right...
XBMC has NFS and SMB and a zillion other network (client) protocols built in. Hit browse when adding a file location.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It's taken me a while to get back to this as summer got in the way. Now that it's back to autumn I can spend a bit more time on it again.

I agree, there is an option for Network Filesystem (NFS) in the list of Browse options when adding media sources, but when selected it scans for a few seconds with the rotating circle and then simply returns focus to the browse list. I'd expect (based on the results from the Pi) that it should have returned a list of contactable IPs. None are returned.
I've configured the Synology NAS as per the wiki and have even gone so far as to entirely remove xbmc from the PC and reinstall, but no joy.

I've obviously missed something, but can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look as it's driving me nuts.

(Oh, and I've checked the xbmc.log and nothing is recorded when I attempt to look for NFS sources)
What's in your /etc/exports (on the NAS)?
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Ok, I seem to have resolved the problem, but not very cleanly. What I've done is to copy over the sources.xml from the Pi to the PC and it seems to work. I also copied over the advancedsettings.xml file to get complete functional mirroring between the two devices.

The net result is that I believe I can now see the same list of files and the same user attributes (watched, resume from xx:xx, etc.) on both devices.

Not a very neat solution and I'm a little unhappy I can't simply configure via the GUI but it works nevertheless.

If you think there was a cleaner way for me to do this then I'd still be interested to know how.
It's what I'd have done, why bother faffing around in the GUI on each client when you can just copy those two files from a working system? Not sure why you are unable to configure via the GUI on Windows, maybe a permissions issue or problem with rpc.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-05-08, 22:55)MilhouseVH Wrote: What's in your /etc/exports (on the NAS)?

It's the NFS locking info that needs to be freed up by careful editing.
Maybe someone else will waste their time trying to assist you - I'm out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi + Windows 7 + Sync problem0