Media Box on Kickstarter... This looks familiar.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1553324800/mediabox
Came across this while browsing Kickstarter. So I can sell something just by changing the wallpaper of the software... He's still even using the confluence skin.

£89($138) Will get you a $35 Raspberry Pi, an $8 case, and a $6 SD card.
Little shady to me, good thing this guy doesn't look like he'll make his goal.
And why is he kicking his son in the nuts?

Even funnier, their website lists three products, the ThinBox, the MediaBox and the WebBox. The ThinBox is the only one pictured and has an identical case to the MediaBox.

The links to all 3 products goes to a 404 page.

Amateurs.

http://www.picotec.co.uk/?page_id=9
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Having said that, they are selling a pre set up XBMC machine with a lot of stuff people ask on here already set for you. Also you didn't factor in the WiFi device for the cost, plus the time to set it up.

This is of course a legitimate thing to do with GPL software, as long as you comply with the license.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hahaha, that's borderline scamming.
Something is definitely wrong with kickstarter, they turned down other projects (cough... lokitron) and aprove this ?

They even left their youtube video open for replies, amateurs, feel free to drop a line at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06VC_EmcFoY
The youtube video has been removed. Here's another one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_CVMghAHio

This is funny:

Quote:Jonty Lovell

Jonty's natural ability in computer programming began at an early age and quickly progressed to make him one of the leading End User Computing Solution Architects in the industry. Continuing to find solutions to integrating complex applications into end user environments has become second nature and allowed his talent to be concentrated into this exciting project.

With this experience and knowledge Jonty has designed a plug and play device solving complex problems to provide a fantastic end user product that is simple to use and allows total access to media on any device. Receiving content and putting it directly to your television at home or wherever you please with a wifi connection.

If they would have had the decency the at least explain that it's not their ideas they are trying to sell, this might have been acceptable. What they are promoting now is just a lie. I'll help them promote their lie.. Tongue

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
It does also say
Quote:Under the hood it is a Raspberry Pi running a custom debian linux image and a specially compiled version of XBMC designed to get the most out of the hardware. It is all preconfigured to Just Work. So plug it in and start watching straight away.
(2013-04-28, 19:25)nickr Wrote: It does also say
Quote:Under the hood it is a Raspberry Pi running a custom debian linux image and a specially compiled version of XBMC designed to get the most out of the hardware. It is all preconfigured to Just Work. So plug it in and start watching straight away.

And when their customers run into problems with this customized XBMC system "that just works", guess where they will be sent to get support? Smile
True, but there is no rule against getting people to pay you for setting up an open source system.
Oh, I'm not disputing that they are free to do this. It's just that it seems ironic that they advertise this as a turn-key, trouble-free system that was developed by this genius computer dude for the benefit of mankind, but as soon as their customers run in trouble, they'll pawn them off to the forums here.
I like the "First Prototype (boring electronic bits)" picture on their Kickstarter page - a Raspberry Pi in a plastic case... wow, that must have taken literally seconds of their hard work to produce! In fact "their" entire product couldn't have taken more than a day to create (with most of that time spent configuring and downloading). Sigh.

While what they are doing may not be illegal (though certainly verging on the immoral), this "project" has no place on Kickstarter - what are they thinking by allowing scams like this? The good thing is I can't see them achieving their goal and suspect their backers so far have been clueless friends and family.

(2013-04-28, 19:55)artrafael Wrote: And when their customers run into problems with this customized XBMC system "that just works", guess where they will be sent to get support? Smile

I wonder what distribution they're using - Raspbmc, OpenELEC or XBian? I bet each of them is hoping they're using one of the other distributions so they don't have to suffer the fallout from anyone that actually buys it and then has a problem.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
If the concept of loading opensource software onto a PC, setting it up, selling it and supporting it (they have an online update system) is immoral then so are RedHat, Suse and Canonical. I agree that the Kickstarter thing is a little repugnant, 5,000 for my face on a screen, I don't think so.

It is based on Xbian, in fact see their reply to me on kickstarter here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/messages/3236...&ref=email

There is a place for a preconfigured box, as long as their support continues.
Red Hat are basically selling support licences, and in most case they're worth every penny - I hardly think this Kickstarter project is worthy of such comparison, as I highly doubt Picotec will be debugging kernel faults and submitting upstream patches.

I do agree there is a place for preconfigured XBMC hardware, but downloading open source software to a memory stick and putting a Pi in a case doesn't justify the kind of markup they are charging, particularly when it's dressed up as being largely their own creation - where is the credit to all the organisations that have made what they are selling possible? And will they have a support forum? It seems to me they're taking advantage of peoples ignorance, and will most likely point them here whenever there is a problem beyond a badly formatted SD card or a Pi that is dead on arrival.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
As far as cost goes, what is the total of those components?

Rpi
Case
Power supply
SD card
wifi dongle
HDMI cable.

I could price it in my local currency, but I don't know much about UK suppliers to get the GBP alternatives.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Box on Kickstarter... This looks familiar.0