Linux Opinion & Linux Server Combined With Windows Clients
hi guys i have spent the last 3 days finally getting a proper look at linux distros

I have tried running several different distros on my pc to test them out both in Virtualbox and also on a spare PC (could not get network working with most in Virtualbox so had to try on proper pc)

i have tried the following

Ubuntu
Ubuntu Server (With some GUI's added)
Lubuntu
Xubuntu
Fedora
CentOS
Debian
XBMCBuntu
Linux Mint

after trying these i have concluded that despite my liking a lot of features of linux and the look of some of them there is just too much tweaking and adjusting for my tastes to get my regular programs running and fully functional

so i plan to switch back to Windows 8 for my main workstation and secondary workstation/HTPC

i simply find simple and complicated tasks easier to accomplish

however i might be looking into using a linux distro as my file server as i won't be using lots of apps on it i think it should function well basically it will just be for storage and file serving to xbmc machines (some windows and some openelec)

what i was thinking was the following

Installing Ubuntu Server with LAMP and Samba then install the Lubuntu GUI as it is the most lightweight then running that which i can then switch between lubuntu gui and terminal if needed using F1 and F7
i would also setup XRDP for remote desktop connects as this will be running headless and also Teamviewer as a secondary backup Remote Desktop Service

then it will share files to my mix of windows and openelec machines i think this might work well but unsure i am currently Running WHS 2011 on my current server but upgrading components soon so plan to re-install either Windows Server 2012 or Even Just Windows 8 or the option i mentioned above

would love to know what people think and if they know what are the advantages apart from price and security (Linux being free and no anti-virus needed) is there to use that over just a standard windows OS for my server i only ask as my WHS 2011 has been solid for about 9 months no with no issues and is run almost 24/7 (currently been running non-stop for about 1 week now before that had to restart for windows updates)
Once you get used to the CLI ubuntu server is the way to go no need for RDP just use putty to ssh in and issue commands.
Been running this way for the last three years and it serves 30tb pretty good through nfs it has samba setup as well for visiting guests.
(2013-04-27, 17:32)johnjohn1981 Wrote: Once you get used to the CLI ubuntu server is the way to go no need for RDP just use putty to ssh in and issue commands.
Been running this way for the last three years and it serves 30tb pretty good through nfs it has samba setup as well for visiting guests.

I have a similar setup and it works perfectly for me too. It was very daunting just using the shell at first, but after a couple of weeks or so of using you start to get quite comfortable with it.

Although I only have 4x2TB WD RE4. Out of curiosity what drives are you using John. I'm assuming 30TB is spread across your file server and your backup server?
Linux 3.5.0-22-generic
Ubuntu 12.10 - XBMCbuntu quantal
Skin: Aeon Nox
CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.60GHz
GPU: Enhanced Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000
RAM: 2GB
SSD: 32GB
(2013-04-27, 17:38)RhysGM Wrote:
(2013-04-27, 17:32)johnjohn1981 Wrote: Once you get used to the CLI ubuntu server is the way to go no need for RDP just use putty to ssh in and issue commands.

I have a similar setup and it works perfectly for me too. It was very daunting just using the shell at first, but after a couple of weeks or so of using you start to get quite comfortable with it.

Although I only have 4x2TB WD RE4. Out of curiosity what drives are you using John. I'm assuming 30TB is spread across your file server and your backup server?

RE4 Enteprise Right?
Mine are WD Red 3tb x7
Samsung Spinpoint 2tb x4
WD Caviar Green 1tb x1
ok so it looks like Linux will probably be my choice I cannot use it for a everyday workstation as I have some software that has issues running in Linux plus I have finally got the less technical members of the house comfortable with a windows environment however I think the Linux choice for home server should work fine as I am only going to set it up with samba MySQL and Sabnzbd/Sickbeard and all of those have Linux versions

does everybody think it's good the choice I was thinking of by using Ubuntu Server and then installing the lubuntu gui for times when I might need a gui like while I am still learning Linux I am getting the hand of some of the commands like

sudo apt-get install ......

sudo add apt-get-repository ppa:......
You do not need a gui for a server but you do have the option so feel free. Ubuntu is well supported and easy to get help for. Use server 12.04 as it has long term support. Cheers.
+1 to nick, I'm still learning Linux and I'm learning a lot faster using CLI and not GUI.

John - yep Smile
Linux 3.5.0-22-generic
Ubuntu 12.10 - XBMCbuntu quantal
Skin: Aeon Nox
CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.60GHz
GPU: Enhanced Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000
RAM: 2GB
SSD: 32GB
My best commandline tricks (ie the ones I find myself using the most):

1. Tab completion - while typing a command hit <tab> a couple of times, the shell will auto complete as much as possible.

2. <alt>+<.> (Thats alt-fullstop pressed together) puts the last thing from your previous line into the current line.

3. <ctrl>+<r> allows you to search through your past commandline history, saves a LOT of typing

4. up and down arrow take you through command history.

5. <alt> + left/right arrow takes you through a line a word at a time.

6. <alt> + <bksp> deletes a word at a time.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104334

We could of course be here all day saying commands,

!! repeats last command entered. bla bla bla.but there is no substitude for googling and fixing own fuck ups.

uNi
If you are intimidated by Linux and don't know CLI well there are options. You can use something like Zentyal or ClearOS install. It's basically a headless server (meaning no monitor, keyboard, mouse once setup) and you access and control it through webpages. If you have ever heard of Webmin its the same thing and that's what Zentyal has become.

I do recommend getting used to CLI. You should be able to log into either of those two distros and play around with logging in via SSH with Putty.
(2013-04-28, 00:04)uNiversal Wrote: see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104334

We could of course be here all day saying commands,

!! repeats last command entered. bla bla bla.but there is no substitude for googling and fixing own fuck ups.

uNi
Yeah that thread has good useful commands, mine was more about navigating and shortcuts.

Anyway commandline is not that hard, if you can type in this forum, you can type at the commandline.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Below is another alternate take on BASH command search. I use it all on my *nix boxes - including FreeBSD.

Basically what it allows you to do is for example...type in 'sudo'...hit up or down arrow to search through all commands starting with 'sudo'. I can't live without it...much faster IMHO then using plain old command search.

NOTE: this doesn't take affect until you close all your terminals and then re-open one of them.

Here's an optional thing you could add. It's not XBMC-related, however, I find it incredibly useful and put it on all my Linux or FreeBSD boxes. This isn't my invention - credit goes to a former work colleague.

1) Append these 2 lines to /etc/inputrc
Code:
"\e[A": history-search-backward
"\e[B": history-search-forward

2) Add these 4 lines to ~/.bashrc
NOTE: might be easier to create new file and overwrite via scripting since commands need to be added near top of file.
Code:
export HC=ignoredups
export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
export PROMPT_COMMAND='history -a'
shopt -s histappend

What does it do?
For all your bash / CLI work it allows for a more convenient command HISTORY search. It differs from other CLI history options I've seen - easier to use IMHO. Just keeping hit UP - or DOWN if gone past - after a partial command entered until you find one you want.

IE.
Type in 'sudo apt-get' in the terminal and hit 'UP arrow'. It'll then cycle through all bash commands HISTORY starting with 'sudo apt-get' Of course it works with any previously used command like 'ssh' to cycle through hosts you commonly connect to. I use it everyday and can't do without it for any amount of CLI work.

NOTE: see if any of these commands are already in default XBMC version of the files and remove if redundant. Also, test out first to see if you like it.
Terminal commands are added to .bash_history as entered. You won't see it take affect until you make the file changes and then close and then reopen a terminal.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Opinion & Linux Server Combined With Windows Clients0