OS X 3D possible with Mac Mini?
Video 
Hi,

Is it possible for Mac Mini (mid 2010) with XBMC to play 3D content? HSBS, SBS?
As I understand (probably wrong) it *should* be possible for it to send side by side content as 2D to the TV and then TV itself would do it's magic and display it as 3D?

It would be great to know prior to purchase as my XBMC is the heart of my entire media content (I dont want any playstations or dedicated bluray players Smile)

Thanks
Yes, I have played HSBS content on my mac mini via XBMC. I have to set-up the 3D mode manually on my Samsung 3DTV, but it does work once you do that. What I've tried is an h.264 1080p HSBS with AAC audio. I don't know about any other formats. Of course you can't play a blueray without an external player. I use my PS3 for bluerays. If you have some 3D content and an HDTV now, you can test it by playing it and seeing if it plays smoothly as a side by side image on the TV. If it does, you should be able to play it on your new 3DTV by setting the 3D mode manually.
One caveat- osd and subtitles will not work properly.
Thanks guys, I'll try that.
Yup, 3D works on Mini's, but OSD doesn't (well, its there, but split in the middle and flashing like crazy).
OU (aka top bottom), and HSBS work just fine, but what will be output by XBMC is the two images. Your 3d-capable TV will need to be told what format to use then to convert it into a proper 3d image. MVC 3d is not supported (the standard 3d format used by bluray), but this isn't XBMC's fault, it's a limitation in the library used.

As for XBMC OSD, that doesn't work when in 3d.

You can get subtitles working on SBS/OU by using the instructions here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120118 or here http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showth...?tid=47904, and then including the substitle file with mkvmerge. The second process is the one I used to get my rip of Avatar working properly, and it looks beautiful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D possible with Mac Mini?0