Mac Mini Upgrade
So I'm getting pretty frustrated with all the frame drops and stuttering from my base model 2010 mac mini and am thinking of upgrading. Am I better off with a 2011 with the AMD Radeon HD 6630M, or a 2012 with the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Not really sure how much a discreet GPU matters with XBMC. Not even sure if the upgrade will matter, but happy to hear any opinions. Thanks!
A 2010 Mac Mini should have more than enough CPU power to handle most video files. I doubt it's a raw power issue. Debug logs (wiki) might tell us more.
Just wanted to say I am using a late 2012 baseline model mac mini and I have no issues whatsoever. But as Ned mentioned, the 2010 should be more than powerful enough. I've heard folks with older mac minis having absolutely no issues in pretty complicated setups.
I truly appreciate the responses. I will attempt to figure out debug logs and post them, but in the meantime I should mention that the issue occurs with 1080p blurays. Not always, but sometimes. Also some older TV shows that periodically have frame rate issues. When it happens, I will restart the computer and all will be fine... for a while... then the issues start again. The frustrating part is I truly don't know if it's an issue with the mini or an issue with my settings and I keep getting conflicting opinions online. Again, I will see if a debug log sheds some light and get back to you.
Just curious, here, but how much RAM do you have in your mini? I have a mid-2010 mini with 4GB of RAM and play 1080p files fine. Since you can start playing fine and it eventually has issues, it just seems like it may be something other than your CPU/GPU processing power.
Definitely something off somewhere in the Mac Mini 2010 config.
Our 2006 Mac Mini with Crystal HD streams ~13GB 1080p video files effortlessly.
--> Mac Mini 2010, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, OSX Lion, XBMC Frodo 12.3
--> Pivos XIOS DS M3 w/Linux XBMC Frodo 12.2
--> Central MySQL database on a LenovoEMC px12-450r via Debian Wheezy VM

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini Upgrade0