Req Auto Wake On Lan
Hello,

Is it possible to add a feature to execute WOL automatically when XBMC remote detects the host is down (and have MAC address defined for this host)? I don't think there are any negative consequences for issuing the WOL command every time and 99% of the time, this is what the user wants. In this case, the alert "Command Executed" should not pop up. It is a bit tedious and unnecessary to execute WOL manually every time the host goes to sleep.

Thanks!

PS: love the app, great work.
Hi,

I like the idea but what do you think about that instead of the "XBMC remote automatically detects when the host is down" the WOL action is done when you select the host from the server list?

P.S.: thank you \m/
(2013-04-30, 12:07)joethefox Wrote: I like the idea but what do you think about that instead of the "automatically detects when XBMC remote the host is down" the WOL action is done when you select the host from the server list?

To clarify - currently, XBMC remote knows when the host is down when you select it from the list of hosts (as indicated by the red icon). When user selects this host from the list, XBMC remote should automatically execute WOL without prompting or notifying the user.

Is this what you meant?
Yes, this is what I mean but the WOL will be send ONLY when the user explicitly select the host. For example a WOL will NOT be sent if you open the remote app and the host was previously selected.
(2013-04-30, 12:21)joethefox Wrote: Yes, this is what I mean but the WOL will be send ONLY when the user explicitly select the host. For example a WOL will NOT be sent if you open the remote app and the host was previously selected.

What happens when the user (re)opens the remote app and the host went to sleep in the meanwhile? Can't you detect that the host is down and issue the WOL command any way when the app becomes active?

Sorry if I sound petty, but I see my wife constantly struggling with this and doesn't understand why the host is not responding. Tried to teach her about WOL several times but it doesn't help, I want her to be able to operate the remote without her calling me every time Big Grin
lol

nothing happens, but I would avoid false positive: you can get into the scenario you described for different reasons and not always you want to wake up the previously selected host: in that case if you de-select and then re-select the host, the app will be pretty sure that what do you want to do is also wake the host.
On the other side, when this happens, the user is left in a confusing state that is not very usable - either a list of cached items they can't really use, a refreshing animation or a "no items found" message. With no clear indication of what they should do now (again, I am speaking from a point of view of a average non tech savvy user. This is the point when my wife says "honey, something is wrong with that thing that plays music...").

Can you, at least, redirect the user back to the host selection screen when you detect the server is not responding? There the user can choose to reselect the host and wake it up if needed.
yes I understand what you mean (...that thing that plays music...) I'll try to do my best.

In the truth when you are offline but you have some section opened, after about 30 seconds (don't remember the timeout) that the server don't respond, the view is automatically put out of the screen.

About the redirect the user back to the host selection screen when you detect the server is not responding, could be done for sure for the iPad version (everything is in the main screen).

We leave the question open, maybe someone comes up with an idea even more clean.
Hello, I'm new to the XBMC community here, and am trying to sort out some issues that have been described in this thread. Has the feature being discussed here been implemented yet? If so, I just need to enable directed broadcasts on my router to get WOL working (iPhone is on wireless, HTPC is on a wired segment, two different subnets).

I'm running an intel NUC for my HTPC. Since I can add bluetooth functionality to it, can the offical XBMC Remote work via bluetooth, or only IP?

I would ideally like to be able to suspend/wake up/operate my HTPC entirely from the iPhone.

Any help is appreciated!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto Wake On Lan0