Release Settings refactor PR 2660 Documenting changes/issues
Before someone starts: Please don't turn this into a discussion on which setting should be in which level. Everyone thinks that the settings he uses most are the most important ones independent of whether anyone else uses them or not.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2013-05-21, 12:37)Martijn Wrote: You find them that important ones are missing in Basic while other will disagree. That will be a never ending discussion. IMO basic should stay like for kids or elderly to prevent them screwing up.

Should kids even enter settings? "Let's try different languages!" Do elderly really need things hidden away? They have enough experience to not fiddle with things they don't understand.

Quote:expert is to perhaps incorporate settings from as.xml like mentioned already

Perhaps is not good enough reason to show this level _right now_, before decision about advanced settings (AS) has even been made.

Another things to think about is that:

- some of the AS are not expert level really. They're just used by minority of users
- most of the AS were kept away to avoid cluttering regular settings section
- who would we decide on what goes into expert GUI and what stays in AS.xml?

Maybe making AS available through web interface, with a link to wiki might be a better solution.

Just to be sure we understand each other - you know that I know my way around XBMC and I'm fine with either solution as I will immediately slide to the left and enable Expert level. My kids are reasonable enough not to go into settings and I can always prevent them by using profile. This is purely philosophical debate from my side, based on what I think might be more reasonable solution, based on _real use case_ scenario.

*Fact that I will enable Expert level and be fine with it does not necessarily mean that side menu and 4 levels are best solution.*
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(2013-05-21, 12:46)Montellese Wrote: Before someone starts: Please don't turn this into a discussion on which setting should be in which level. Everyone thinks that the settings he uses most are the most important ones independent of whether anyone else uses them or not.

Let's end this debate and just focus on issues/bugs.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-05-21, 14:28)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-05-21, 12:46)Montellese Wrote: Before someone starts: Please don't turn this into a discussion on which setting should be in which level. Everyone thinks that the settings he uses most are the most important ones independent of whether anyone else uses them or not.

Let's end this debate and just focus on issues/bugs.

Agreed. Not worth my time either.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I'm all for 3 settings levels for the user. Basic, Expert, Advanced (naming to line up with advancedsettings). If you want a kiosk mode, then you want to lock all settings, not make it a level,
Just leave all the options as they where and add a restore defaults button, or under system/system have a show advanced option that has that blue round checkmark, and a lock checkmark so kids cant screw it up easily, when I first started using xbmc I wouldn't have known what half these options where until I started playing with them, sure glad I did and discovered match frame rate
Quick question: how exactly do those of us with nothing but a remote control connected to the system switch the menu mode? none of my buttons seem to trigger a context menu on the system menu entries?

EDIT: Ok, I see now only the Confluence skin has this setup (Aeon Nox doesn't appear to support it just yet).
How do you change the settings from basic/standard/advanced/expert etc..? I need to change some audio settings but i cant find them or how to change it to show advanced settings.
(2013-08-12, 20:41)fabes253 Wrote: How do you change the settings from basic/standard/advanced/expert etc..? I need to change some audio settings but i cant find them or how to change it to show advanced settings.

See gotham FAQ and the other times people asked
(2013-08-12, 20:43)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-08-12, 20:41)fabes253 Wrote: How do you change the settings from basic/standard/advanced/expert etc..? I need to change some audio settings but i cant find them or how to change it to show advanced settings.

See gotham FAQ and the other times people asked

Hello,

I use Gotham 13 alpha 6 Windows
To go to advanced mode: I read the FAQ :
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ings_go.3F

2.1 Where did most of the settings go?
Gotham now has multiple user levels of settings. Hiding some more advanced settings by default. To change this setting level Settings -> Appearance -> Press left -> Change setting level .
Not all skins have been adapted to this change. If you cannot find this side panel, you must switch to the Confluence skin to enable these options. After this you can switch back to the skin you normally use.

Pressing Left on "Appearance" does nothing
You must press Left on "Skin" in the following page
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
just like explained in the wiki. you probably did not follow it exactly
(2013-08-31, 17:16)Martijn Wrote: just like explained in the wiki. you probably did not follow it exactly
no:
""To change this setting level Settings -> Appearance -> Press left -> Change setting level" .
means to press <left> on "Appearance", non on "Skin" in the followed page
Pressing <left> on "Appearance" brings no result
Jean-Max

OpenELEC on 2 ZBOX
KODI on 4 Windows PC
go INTO appearance or whatever other setting category
I'm pushing for the switch to be exposed both on the main settings page and on the sidebar of individual settings areas :D

I think it would work really well. I've just got to convince a skinner to work their magic, and maybe we can get it in this current merge window.
(2013-09-01, 10:52)Ned Scott Wrote: I'm pushing for the switch to be exposed both on the main settings page and on the sidebar of individual settings areas Big Grin

I totally agree.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Settings refactor PR 2660 Documenting changes/issues1