Solved xbmc crashes on first start
I've been searching and searching but i cannot find anyone with this problem so far. I wanted xbmc to autostart at windows 7 boot. I tried using the windows startup programs, and the xbmclauncher program. On both occasions xbmc crashes at the startup. If i try to start it manually, everything works just fine.

It took me a while to figure out that, if i dont autostart the program, and try to start xbmc manually for the first time since a reboot, it crashes. If i try to start xbmc a second time, it works just fine.

i tend to think here that xbmc starts some service or something, and then crashes because it isn't available yet? and then the second time of course it has started and the everything is fine?

Anyone encountered this problem

windows7 32bit. clean install
xbmc 12.1 frodo
ati hd5450 driver 12.1 (because of slow menus problem)
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Check your debug log (wiki) after XBMC crashes at startup to see if there's any indication as to why.
Ok, enabled the debug from the GUI. The log doesn't show any fatals. Nothing that i can see is causing the crash.

uploaded the log here: Logfile
Did some further digging. Enabled loglevel 1 with advancedsettings.xml

I used notepad++ with a compare plugin to compare a crashed log (first xbmc start) with a good log (second xbmc start)

That was really usefull. It revealed a problem with direct3d on the first start.

Running dxdiag also gave problems with d3d9. So i'm investigating further. Its a graphics card/driver/directx thingy it seems.
reverting back to catalyst software version 11.12 solved this problem.

All is running fine all off a suddne.

mark solved
Glad you got it sorted!

You can mark it "Solved" by doing an EDIT > Full Edit on the first post and selecting "Solved Issue" from the drop-down menu for the thread title Prefix and then saving the update. Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc crashes on first start0