Building XMBC pc for the first time,need any advice i can get.
Ok i am building a HTPC/media server using old parts and from suggestions i have decided to use XBMC,but i have never used it before and have no idea how easy or hard it will be and just need any and all advice.

Now here is what i already have of the build:
Mobo:ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2+
CPU:amd phenom x4 [email protected]
RAM:6GB DDR2 800MHZ
CASE:i have no idea of the name but it can hold 4 HDDs,4 ODDs,and 2 floppy bays(one has a card reader)the other i installed an extra HD
HDD:1x2TB SATA drive,1x 160GB SATA drive,1x 120GB SATA drive, and 1x 120GB IDE drive
ODD:Samsung IDE DVD-RW
TV tuner:hauppauge wintv hvr-1800
Video card:ATI AIW X800XL 256MB(i have not used it in a long time,and if it does not work i will either use a 7900GS 256MB or a 8800GTS 320MB)

I am short a psu,but i am working on trying to find a way to get one,i did barrow one to test boot,and it looks like i will need to do a bios update to support the cpu,but i can also barrow a cpu to do that with.

Any advice on where to go from there one i get it running?
Have you checked out the hardware forum? This post is better situated there and will be moved accordingly. It is more likely you will get an answer in that forum.
No i have not, thank you for moving it,and i am sorry for putting it in the wrong place.

I forgot to mention that i will be running windows 7 on it.
Which are the parts you already have and which are the suggestions or do you have them all already?
i already have them all including the 3 video card i mentioned, the only thing i need to get is a power supply,which i am working on trying to sell of my extra parts lying around so i can buy one(i have to do that cause i have no extra money to spend).

In fact this whole build is a no budget build,it is made up of parts i had lying around,and what i was missing i have been trying to trade and sell my way to the parts.
You'd be best off using the 8800gt if it works in your system.
Do you want to have HD audio bitstreaming, like Dolby True-HD and DTS Master Audio with Windows? If so, you can spend less than $30 and get a AMD HD6450 or 6570 and it'll play 1080p and bitstream.
yeah i just got the 8800GTS when i did a trade that got me the cpu and ram,and the main reason i was considering the x800xl was cause it had a tv tuner built in,and i was thinking that it with the other tv tuner would allow me to record 2 shows at once,but i don't have to have it.

(2013-05-04, 05:59)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Do you want to have HD audio bitstreaming, like Dolby True-HD and DTS Master Audio with Windows? If so, you can spend less than $30 and get a AMD HD6450 or 6570 and it'll play 1080p and bitstream.

idk mabye,but it will depend on how much i get from selling off my old stuff.

But i do know that not only do i want it has a HTPC,but i also was other people on the network to be able to access and play the files from thier own pc's,i also would really like to be able to stream to my phone while i am at lunch at work.
To record TV you will have to decide which backend you plan on using and see if it supports the tuner cards you have. If you plan on streaming content to mobile devices you are going to have to also install a program such for that as well. XBMC is not a full featured DLNA server that encodes for internet delivery.
Backend? sorry i am new to this kind of stuff.
Also can you suggest some programs that will let me stream to my phone?
XBMC is only a PVR front end. You need a program that records TV. There is a forum section here dedicated to the backends and their addons for XBMC. Read the XBMC wiki for more info about XBMC's PVR functions and requisites.

The Program you use to stream video to your phone will depend heavily on your phone OS and apps you can get for it. Air Video works great for iOS and can work with Android with the right app (Mirage). Emit is another program with Android and iOS apps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building XMBC pc for the first time,need any advice i can get.0