XBMC 12.1 freezes when playing mp4 video from RSS feed
Hello,
I updated (and then actually did a clean instal) of 12.1 from 11.0 and now I can't seem to play a videocast that I did previously.

The videocast RSS feed is:
http://www.rtp.pt/play/videocast/1052

I'm running Mac OS 10.8.3 on x86_64.

The feed is read fine, and when I select the item it starts playing the mp4 file. However, only the sound is ok. Image is a frozen first frame, with the buffering bar an any other on-screen indicators frozen. XBMC doesn't crash, I have to force quit it.

XBMC 11.0 worked fine.
Any clues?
Can you try with v12.2 and if it still doesn't work, get us a debug log (wiki)?
Hello and thanks for the prompt reply.
I updated to v12.2 and the result is the same. It still froze XBMC with the audio playing in the background.
Here's the debug log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=16073

Thanks
Not sure myself. One of the devs might be able to tell us something from your debug log, but nothing really stands out to me (granted, my understanding of the log is limited).

The only thing I do see that might be of interest is that the hardware decoder attempts to play the file, fails due to it being in use (or it thinks it is in use already), and then tries to use software decoding.

I also tried to reproduce this myself by adding the URL you gave as an RSS feed source in XBMC. I didn't have any issues, and XBMC was able to play the videos just fine. (tested with both 32 and 64 bit versions of XBMC v12.2)
I tried the 32-bit version and the result was the same. It's beyond my abilities to try and uncover it more.
I'm having many feeds or add-ons (like the NYT one) have some sort of brief freeze with the sound playing, but after 10-15 seconds, the image starts rolling.

In this case, however, it freezes entirely. If I run it in debug mode, the overlay freezes immediately as the sound starts playing.

If anyone has any suggestion, feel free...!
Thanks
How do i use this rss feed? (sry - i'm a n00b when it comes to everything else then "normal" video files located on a NAS).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Add a new file source as "rss://www.rtp.pt/play/videocast/1052"
Answering this post from a long time ago, since I just had this same problem:

I solved the problem by downgrading to XBMC version 11.0. I had the same problems using version 12.3 (maybe 13 will be better). Back on 11, now all my mp4s play again. Various mp4s wouldn't play, even though they appear to be wrapping the same types of codecs (and most of the ones that wouldn't play were from rss feeds, but other random mp4s also wouldn't)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 12.1 freezes when playing mp4 video from RSS feed0