Solved v12.2 & local TV episode NFO files
Is anyone else having an issue with v12.2 and locally stored (pre-scraped) nfo files for TV episodes? I just updated to 12.2 from 12.1 and have done some testing and found that XBMC is no longer reading any newly added episode nfo files. The video plays fine, the thumbnail displays fine, however no information is able to be loaded from the nfo.

I came across this as I have just updated all of a TV series to HD quality and trying to get the information to load was doing my head in. I tested with a previously loaded episode of another show, by removing it everywhere (from the media server source location, and from XBMC library and running a clean, and rebooted) and re-added it and updated the library all that displays is the episode number, just like the previous series I was trying to load.

Movies appear to be fine, and the parent level of TV series appears to be fine - episode level information just won't load. Confused

Whenever I try and load the menu for a season and refresh information, it pops up asking the name of the TV show. I need to escape out of this as leaving the title there and pressing done, just keeps asking in an endless loop.

Have had to system restore prior to the upgrade to get information to load correctly from local NFO files. No other changes were made apart from an install of 12.2 over the top of 12.1.
Just tested on my laptop, and the same exact result. I copied a TV series from my media server to my laptop, and added the folder as a source, refreshed the library. Everything loads successfully re: thumbnails and folder pictures and the TV show details, however at the episode level - nothing but an episode number.
Grab a Debug Log of such an import.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ok, I've removed the source completely, cleaned the database & turned on debugging. I have then closed XBMC and deleted the log file as to start fresh.

The log file should contain the following steps:

Started up XBMC
Navigated to videos -> files -> add videos...
Added the source location and updated library when requested.
Backed out to main menu and navigated to TV series, drilled into episode level.
Attempted refresh of specific episode, choosing NOT to ignore local files.
backed out to TV show folder and refreshed information for all episodes. (as my test system can get to the net, it found the show online and didn't get stuck in the loop of asking what show it was, like my main system does as it's blocked from accessing specific sites to avoid online scraping) Still no episode level informaiton however.
Navigated back to main menu and closed XBMC.

Log

I should also note that my main HTPC uses a media server for it's source location and another server for its mySQL database. My test system is using local database and media to test - both have the same issue on 12.2

Cheers,

Mungo.
Please clarify:

When you originally scanned ("Added the source location and updated library when requested") did the shows and episodes come in OK?

i.e. does the fault ONLY occur on Refreshing TV Show/Episodes, and not occur during the initial scan?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

The issue only occurs on the episode level and occurs whether it's a freshly added source on 1st scan, or a previous source with new episodes / media (eg. new episode added to current series)
So the refresh works fine?

No, it doesn't. It happens whether or not it's a freshly added source, or whether it's refreshed manually.
So it happens all the time, no matter what you do. You confused things by introducing the refresh stuff.

Looks like we'll need the .nfo file (episode + tvshow please) to reproduce.

Sorry for the confusion, I only mentioned "refresh" as that's what the option is called in the XBMC context menu when scanning for new media (when things don't scan correctly, I generally check the NFO and re-create it if need be and "refresh" the series/season)... - but yes, no matter how I scan / add media into the library - the local NFO information is not loaded for TV episodes.

As on both machines, I installed over the top of v12.1, I decided to uninstall completely on my test machine and re-install v12.2 cleanly, with the same result unfortunately. I also tested with a clean "full" install as I chose not to install extra languages or PVR add-ons on both previous installs - this also results in the same issue.

(2013-05-06, 09:43)jmarshall Wrote: Looks like we'll need the .nfo file (episode + tvshow please) to reproduce.

No worries - how would you like them sent? yousendit to a specified email address work?...I should also mention that it's not really a specific episode of a specific show - it happens with every single episode of several shows I've tested. Initially it happened with every episode of all 10 seasons of Smallville, and I've been testing with an episode of Bob's Burgers as it's a smaller video file.

Oh & my NFO's have always been generated by Media Center Master...if you think that could be causing an issue?
I have no idea what the issue is until I see the .nfo file. The easiest method is to just pastebin them given they're text files.

Righto. Sorry, I assumed as you said episode + "tvshow" you required the actual file it was scraping info for as well.

Here's an NFO sample:

.NFO Sample
Just trolling around the Media Center Master forums and found the following thread, with some guy that's found the issue, although running XBMC on OpenElec, the problem is the same with v12.2:

XBMC compatible NFO

"When looking at the nfo files <xbmc_compatible_nfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"> and </xbmc_compatible_nfo> tags appear at the beginning and end.

When I remove the tags from an episode level nfo and refresh that episode in XBMC episode details such as plot and episode title appear again in XBMC.
"

All of my older, pre-scraped episode NFO's have this information as well, so as mentioned in the linked thread, there must be a change in the way NFO's are read?...

Can confirm with these lines removed from the NFO and a refresh of the file in XBMC, it displays all information again.
As far as I can tell, this would also be a problem in 12.1 and 12.0. i.e. your "old" nfo files have been updated after they were initially scraped.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
v12.2 & local TV episode NFO files1