Solved v12.2 & local TV episode NFO files
Hmm, don't know what else to tell you - NFO's generated by MCM have worked the entire time I've been using XBMC since v10, and has only had this issue on v12.2 - even 12.1 works fine. Confused

I did think MCM started doing something different with its newer versions (changes made to accommodate the different Dharma, Eden & Frodo naming schemes), but even older generated nfo's from MCM have those exact same tags, so nothing's changed there - and those files have not been updated or changed in any way from MCM or XBMC.

Is a weird issue, but as far as I can tell, it's a specific issue with v12.2 only.
I want to add here that I've had the exact same problem with 12.2 -- I have Media Center Master generating .nfo files for my TV shows, and 12.0 reads these files perfectly. However, once I updated to 12.2, XBMC no longer fetched the episode details from the .nfo. It acted as though the .nfo did not exist. Every episode that I have added since upgrading to 12.2 has exhibited this behavior (that's four episodes, from four different TV shows).

I downgraded to 12.0, and XBMC can suddenly read those exact same .nfo files and load the episode details from them.

I have not tried 12.1, but as Mungo suggested, it definitely seems as though there is something that 12.2 is doing differently from 12.0 with regards to reading the .nfo files.
Sounds like a compatibility problem with Media Center Master...I have never used it, nor ever needed to and I have no problems with nfos in xbmc, half of my nfos are from exports made using xbmc 10.0, they still work fine in xbmc 12.2...try creating new nfo files thru the xbmc gui (backup your originals) and see if there is some difference in tagging or naming conventions.

PS, none of my NFOs have the lines
Code:
<xbmc_compatible_nfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
as yours has in line 2. nor
Code:
</xbmc_compatible_nfo>
as in line 41.

You also seem to be missing the following tags

Code:
<showtitle>, <year>, <top250>, <uniqueid>, <votes>, <outline>, <tagline>, <runtime>, <thumb>, <playcount>, <lastplayed>, <id>, <set>, <director>, <premiered>, <status>, <code>, <trailer>, <fileinfo>, <streamdetails>, <codec>, <aspect>, <width>, <height>, <durationinseconds>, <audio>, <language>, <codec>, <channels>, and <dateadded>

Essentially your nfo is only half complete. and im sure one or more of these missing tags is the reason for your problems...an example of one of my nfos (which were created thru the xbmc gui) looks like this.

I would suggest deleting all nfos, re scraping, export your media, and manually edit any nfos you want to (not that you'll need to if you did things properly)
(2013-05-07, 17:46)digitaltomj Wrote: Sounds like a compatibility problem with Media Center Master...

How would that explain a Media Center Master-generated nfo working in 12.0, but the same nfo not working in 12.2? If the problem was the nfo, wouldn't it have failed to work in either?

I just removed the <xbmc_compatible_nfo> tags in the nfo, and 12.2 now loads it without issue.

So, to summarize, with the <xbmc_compatible_nfo> tags, 12.0 loads the nfo, but 12.2 does not. Remove the <xbmc_compatible_nfo> tags, and 12.2 loads it successfully. And for added detail, the whole tag is this:

<xbmc_compatible_nfo xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
</xbmc_compatible_nfo>

OK so with that, is it that 12.2 doesn't like this tag anymore? For those of you are getting nfos to work with 12.2, do those nfos have this tag in them?

Edit - Sounds like the working nfo does not include the <xbmc_compatible_nfo> tag. I would say that 12.2 definitely became stricter about this then, since again, 12.0 (and prior) had no issues with this tag.

I don't think it has anything to do with the other tags you mention are missing digitaltomj -- 12.2 loads an nfo with those missing tags just fine, once the <xbmc_compatible_nfo> tag is gone.
Media Center Master was just updated to build the NFO file without using the <xbmc_compatible_nfo> tag, so newly-generated NFOs won't have this problem with 12.2 (and I confirmed that this is the case).

However, it may still be worth looking into how it is that 12.2 seems to have suddenly disallowed this tag.
(2013-05-07, 17:46)digitaltomj Wrote: Sounds like a compatibility problem with Media Center Master...I have never used it, nor ever needed to and I have no problems with nfos in xbmc, half of my nfos are from exports made using xbmc 10.0, they still work fine in xbmc 12.2...try creating new nfo files thru the xbmc gui (backup your originals) and see if there is some difference in tagging or naming conventions.

Yes, as I've mentioned - we've found the problem, and it's the XBMC compatible tags in the NFO that are the issue. The question is in XBMC Dev's court as to why 12.2 has an issue with them. As I've also mentioned, MCM, regardless of its version, has ALWAYS included these tags, so it's not so much an MCM compatibility issue, as it is an XBMC one.

As belerefon has mentioned, Pete (Author of MCM) is always willing to tweak his software to suite if there's an issue - and might I say pretty promptly too as we only bought this to his attention yesterday...however I'd really like to see XBMC retain it's compatibility with these tags. I really don't like the idea of 18,000+ TV episodes of mine not being compliant when I go to 12.2 & above if it's not resolved and have to - for whatever reason, recreate them and rescan them into the library...not fun.

The change of metadata in general for Frodo wasn't as bad as this, as you could use programs to scan for and change filenames and extensions - however removing text from within a file...that's a tad more difficult on a large scale of tens of thousands.
Any update on this at all?
Quote:Essentially your nfo is only half complete. and im sure one or more of these missing tags is the reason for your problems...an example of one of my nfos (which were created thru the xbmc gui) looks like this.

I would suggest deleting all nfos, re scraping, export your media, and manually edit any nfos you want to (not that you'll need to if you did things properly)

The way to prevent this problem is to not use third party software to make a .NFO file...especially when you can generate nfos perfectly just by using the xbmc gui...you cant expect the xbmc team to worry about all of the third party software in the world
Half complete NFO's in regard to tags used has nothing to do with this issue. Sure, yes, some tags aren't present, which should only mean whatever information contained in them - if any, will not show which is understandable. This issue revolves around XBMC, specifically v12.2 not parsing anything past that initial xbmc_compatible tag...something all previous versions of XBMC have no issue with, so clearly it's an XBMC issue.

This has been resolved, from an MCM standpoint in that Pete removes these tags in generated NFO's using the latest build of MCM. All I want to know is have XBMC dev's been able to identify what exactly in 12.2 is causing the issue and if so, is it something that will be resolved in future builds of XBMC - or, whether it's been identified or not - is it something that will not be changed / fixed & require the recreation of every single TV episode NFO file moving forward.

To say other 3rd party software does not create NFO files correctly isn't right. I don't expect XBMC Dev's to accommodate all 3rd party applications, but when it comes to this type of thing, it's quite obvious something has changed unintentionally, which in my eyes, is a bug.
I just spent 40 bucks buying a brand new gpu for a very old/outdated computer I was using as an htpc with xubnutu using scavenged parts that I never intended to upgrade...this gpu worked fine with xbmc 11.0 and when I upgraded to 12.2 it stopped working with xbmc...so am I supposed to say that its the xbmc teams fault that my gpu is too old...do i tell the devs that xbmc has a bug because my 10 year old hardware isnt compatible anymore...or do I just buy a new gpu?

The moral of the story is you have to work with xbmc for it to work...you must have the right hardware, proper naming schemes for all folders\files, and if you insist on using a 3rd party software, its your job to make sure its compatible. Being on the bleeding edge of means you will probably run into issues, but if you bring a second bit of software into the mix that was never intended to run along side the original program by the original coders, and there is bound to be problems between them.

Don't get me wrong I understand your frustration, thats why i went thru your nfo file and found every bit of code that MCM made (or didnt make) in error. I still would encourage you not to use third party software, especially for doing things that xbmc is fully capable of doing on its own you just go into the settings menu.
LOL, Now you're just being retarded. Seriously?...comparing 10yr old hardware and having issue's with software working to a simple text file that has worked and now doesn't is just the other extreme of the spectrum.

I really don't want to turn this into a stupid shit fight about this, that or the other. The fact remains that up until 12.2 these NFO files work, and now they don't and it's obvious that it's due to an unintentional change XBMC side. I'm not blaming anyone on either side of the fence for this - we've found the cause, now all I'd like is a clear "yes we're going to adjust this or fix this or whatever" or "no we're not". It's as simple as that. full stop. Please don't take this as a podium to bash 3rd party software developers who also do a lot of this work for free.
Ha...nice dude...nice. I'm the only one here that helped you...you realize that?

anyway...have fun with your "bug"
Help?...all you've done is rag on 3rd party software and tell me to re-create 18,000+ NFO files - and this was even AFTER the issue had been found. That's hardly help or a fix. The only actual help I've gotten from anywhere regarding this is on the MCM forums where the problem was actually identified AND fixed from their side.

Seeing as the issue was identified quite a few posts ago, the only "help" anyone here can give, will come from an XBMC Dev that actually knows what they're talking about regarding the coding.
The issue was fixed yesterday: PR2709.

It should already be in the latest nightly, and if there's a v12.3, it will be part of it.

In trying to fix a bug that affected barely anyone, I accidentally broke something that affected quite a few. Sorry about that.

(Kudos to the author of MCM for reacting so quickly.)
Awesome work Scudlee - it's much appreciated. Unfortunate about breaking other things, but it's all progress I guess.

Cheers,

Mungo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
v12.2 & local TV episode NFO files1