Solved [xbmcbuntu+xvba] audio stuttering if video is in background
Hey guys,

This one is bugging me since a long time but I just decided to work around it so far. On some skins you can decide if video should be displayed in the menu or not if it keeps running in the background, my problem seems to be that whenever I turn that option off (means video keeps running but doesn't show in the menu) the audio starts stuttering after about 10 seconds. If I let the video show in the background this problem does not surface. From the debug log it looks like it's some sync problem between video and audio but I'm no expert. I tested if I got the same behaviour on my windows pc but that isn't the case, so it has something to do with xbmcbuntu/xvba I would guess. Just to make sure I get my point across, pictures say more then a thousand words:

Stutters after 10s ____No stutter
Image Image

Did somebody experience the same problem already and knows a solution?

Some details:
HTPC: ZBOX HD ND22 (Intel Celeron SU2300 + ION Graphics)
XBMC: XBMC-xvba (13.0-ALPHA3 Git:41061a8),
Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 12.10 - XBMCbuntu, 3.5.0-19-generic i686). Built on Apr 5 2013
Debug Log: http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=17403

Audio Output: _______Playback Options: ___ Video Output:
Image Image Image

Tried changing A/V Sync options already, but that made no difference.
I guess its related to dirty region rendering. Without video in the background, the buffers do not get flipped.

This leads to CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer

You could try to turn off DR and see if it changes something. Also try the xbmc-xvba-testing ppa, since there have been changes related to DR and video lately.
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to solve it sadly. What I did as of yet:

I tried setting dirty regions to this (which should turn it off I'd think?)

Code:
<algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>-1</nofliptimeout>

and then updated to xvba-testing (XBMC (13.0-ALPHA4 Git:b6b8033))
yes, that turns it off.

Can you try with 3 and the xvba-testing version?
I've set it to:

Code:
<algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions>
<nofliptimeout>1000</nofliptimeout>

Doesn't seem to make a difference, still getting this:

Code:
CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
Can you post a complete debug log again. I always missed what was before. Also try changing the Sync Playback to "Video Clock" and tell me about your Scaling method.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I think I know what's causing this. Will look into it.
Complete debug log, I tried both A/V Sync options in this, video clock (resample) and (drop/duplicate)

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=17857

About the scaling, I guess you're talking about the video settings? That is set to Bilinear.

Should be fixed in my master branch.
Wow that was fast. GF is hogging the TV right now so can't test, but I'll make sure to report back once I can. Smile Thanks a lot in advance!
you'll have to wait for the next xbmc package, unless you want to compile yourself
The update fixed it indeed thanks a lot. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[xbmcbuntu+xvba] audio stuttering if video is in background0