[split] Gamepad Configuration
(2013-02-19, 14:27)garbear Wrote: Gamepad re-configuration probably makes the most sense per-platform instead of per-emulator IMO, except for arcade per-game configurations. The tricky part is the GUI and/or xml files. XBMC is a mediacenter, so usability is an extremely high priority. When I get to gamepad re-configuration I'll need usability impressions from multiple testers.

The most frictious part of RetroPlayer's eventual merge is the interfaces - the GUI and, to a lesser extent, the APIs. So it's important that we nail the usability aspect. To that extent, insights on usability (mostly design, also feedback) are highly appreciated.

I would love to see per-platform gamepad configs. I did a very fast mockup of how I envisioned this (I am not a graphic designer, please don't laugh):

NES Config

PS1 Config

Basically, for each platform you want to configure, the GUI will show that platform's controller and ask you to press each button, one at a time. At each button press/release event, that button is recorded and the system automatically asks for input for the next button. I feel like this graphical method will move very quickly if you want to individually configure many systems.
I'm assuming it could be a python addon that could handle this?

I wouldn't mind taking a crack at it if some details can be thrown my way
This would also be very usefull for every input device XBMC can handle. Like remotes and keyboards.
I think the solution for this should be very generic so that xbmc in genral can benefit from it. Its a mess to configure a remote with lirc and get the correct Lirc.d file :-(
At the risk of introducing feature creep... what about support for those harmony remote profiles or similar? There are a couple of different softwares out there for mapping controller buttons to keyboard keys, most of which use pictures of the controller. Maybe they could be adapted?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] Gamepad Configuration0