Live TV from DVB-T tuner (USB or other) without backend
I tried all the PVR solutions out there and they are not stable, they are too slow and they are damn hard to set up (MySql?!?)
How far are we from a BASIC tv tuner card support? like VLC for example.
Not going to happen as far as I know.
IF there are many users who want TV tuner support
and IF no one is working on that
I will consider making a standalone plugin using forked code from VLC.
Which OS are you using?

Consider this: LiveTV is available for most people via their TV. There is little advantage to adding it to XBMC unless you also add the ability to pause etc. That means essentially recording the stream. Therefore you are building a new PVR, which is something that the XBMC devs see no purpose in doing given the number of PVR projects out there already.

I haven't found mythtv difficult to set up, but I have been using it outside XBMC for a few years. There is no mysql setup needed to speak of if you use mythbuntu. It sets it all up for you.

PS if you need a hand setting up mythtv, let me know.
Also if you want live DVB-T in XBMC, get a HD Homerun Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
People who may want this functionality are those who look for low cost solutions, not wanting to pay for satellite or cable. DVB-T is a free over the air Television that is popular in Europe (I don't know the american equivalent, perhaps ATSC).
Buying an 11$ USB dongle is enough for a lifetime of free HD television so that may appeal to many people around the world.
Yeah but your TV tunes DVB-T anyway, if you want live TV use it.

If you want PVR use a solution that already works well.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
XBMC is a complete media center (and i think it's the best there is) not just a video player. It's stands to reason that people will want to manage all their media in one program and one interface.
Besides, only new TVs have built in DVB tuner.
Thay can, simply install a PVR backend. It's not hard.
(2013-05-12, 21:28)nickr Wrote: Thay can, simply install a PVR backend. It's not hard.

1. I can - but for "some reason" no one else I know can (hint: It's very very hard for a non techy to even find the instructions page. As matter of fact for most people it's too hard to install XBMC itself!)
2. PVR backend is unstable over time (if you leave the computer on over night you have to reset)
3. with PVR backend there are 10 seconds of freeze time before you can switch a channel!! Even if the backend is on the same device, it works through streaming and that protocol requires buffering etc.
What backend are you using?

PVRs are complex, it is never going to be completely easy.
i'm using mediaportal.
Tivo is easy to use, there is no reason on earth why XBMC+PVR should be any different
(2013-05-13, 09:00)alonhzn Wrote:
(2013-05-12, 21:28)nickr Wrote: Thay can, simply install a PVR backend. It's not hard.

1. I can - but for "some reason" no one else I know can (hint: It's very very hard for a non techy to even find the instructions page. As matter of fact for most people it's too hard to install XBMC itself!)
2. PVR backend is unstable over time (if you leave the computer on over night you have to reset)
3. with PVR backend there are 10 seconds of freeze time before you can switch a channel!! Even if the backend is on the same device, it works through streaming and that protocol requires buffering etc.

Matching those points agaist vdr/vnsi

1)
vdr, vnsi, and xbmc can be installed from ppa. There is only little configuration after installation
2)
completely wrong for vdr. vdr runs stable over time. many users have a dedicated vdr server which they hardly ever restart.
3)
wrong for vdr and tv headend. those backends have their own demuxers and you get fast switching times. the delay is not caused by the backends.
"little configuration" is still configuration and normal users can't hop over that fence.
besides, VDR doesn't work on Windows...
So you want a self configuring PVR that will work in any country with any TV standard and any method of EPG gathering?

Good thing it's an open source project, look forward to your contribution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV from DVB-T tuner (USB or other) without backend1