Linux 300% CPU when idle
I have the latest stable XBMC version from PPAs installed on a clean installation of Ubuntu minimal. I haven't imported my profile or skins, it's completely vanilla.

I'm upgrading from an Atom processor, and now have an AMD A10. I can't get my head around why XBMC is eating so much CPU whilst in menus. It seems to decrease to 250% (from 300%) whilst playing 720p content however.

There is painful lag in menus, 1080p/720p seems to play fine other than a few artefacts that I'm looking in to.

I have tried dirty region rendering to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm suck.

Thanks
probably a broken fglrx..

some reading: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996
Just to be sure, you are running 12.2 right ?

Thread moved to Linux support forum.
That is exactly what I needed, thank you wsnipex. Can't believe I missed that thread, I've been searching and searching reading blogs and forums all over the place on how to set up Ubuntu + AMD F2.

It seems the biggest problem is that my CPU is not supported in the 12.04 LTS kernel!

Thanks again
Guys...just don't buy AMD, if you don't like to have all kind of problems...
At least it is reasonably easy to upgrade your kernel in 12.04 !
completely offtopic (apologies)...

Kieron, which version of top are you running in the screenshot?
I think that's HTOP
indeed it is, I found it just a minute ago. Thanks. Back to the regularly scheduled AMD bashing, I guess Big Grin
Hi kieron,

Sorry for your long search. I posted for others.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1237118

Please try a Ubuntu variant 12.10 and only install deb fglrx drivers, it's super easy. I highly recommend xubuntu. It just works. It handles WiFi, USB automount, samba shares, no composition problems, perfect 24fps playback to stop judder out of the box, sound via pulse which has been great for stereo HDMI via 2 PCs. I play the most difficult to play 1080i both h.264 and mpeg2 mostly. It is really good. 1080p is easy. Super low CPU useage! Rightfully there is a lot of love for nvidea here but I suggest you give the ati a try first. Fernetmenta, fritsch and wsnipex made it VERY good. I plan on a gt610 soon if it does not overload my 60watt PSU. That is ot.

Make sure you follow wsnipex thread. Live there. It has all you need. Remember to enable deinterlace, set to auto and xvba best in the sub menu while watching a movie. I think it is Bob but it is quite good on a Sony LCD and panny plasma. It is not at all the low quality Bob you get on Intel hd3000. I really which I could get that box up to ati spec.. For now it remains repurposed until it might shine another day. 1080p 1080i 720p60 all play near perfect for most eyes on the wsnipex builds.. And they buffer too!!!

G

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
300% CPU when idle0