Giving up on Windows, is OpenELEC the answer?
With makemkv + libaacs I can play all bd's on linux and natvley in xbmc - newest one I have tried is dark knight rises.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173474
I really loved the light weight and speed of OpenELEC. It boots up literally in a few seconds and is pretty painless. However, I think depending on your hardware you might run into some issues with compatibility. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to Linux, but pretty good at Google and can figure most things out... I spent a good part of the last 3 days trying to get my setup to wake on USB from keyboard. In addition to that there is some really erratic behavior on suspend, shut down, etc. Sometimes it would crash XBMC, sometimes it would just hang there and nothing would happen even though i could still talk to it from ssh. I'm pretty sure I read every thread out there on the subject but still no go. Wasn't sure if it's an issue with my hardware or what, so finally I ran a copy of XBMCbuntu live and the shutdown/suspend/resume worked pretty flawlessly...

It's true OpenELEC boots so quickly, but then all your images have to be cached again on boot up and that takes time. I guess I am going to go with XBMCbuntu unless they can figure out the issues on OpenElec with sleep/shutdown/resuming... The few extra seconds it takes me too boot into XBMCbuntu are worth it, since I can sleep the machine now.

Oh, and i found that there's a much much bigger support community for XBMCbuntu since it's based on Ubuntu... OpenELEC is pretty sparse, if you can get any support at all.

YMMV though
(2013-11-06, 00:24)shortskoolbus Wrote: It's true OpenELEC boots so quickly, but then all your images have to be cached again on boot up and that takes time.

I have not experienced this delay.
(2013-11-06, 03:21)whitebelly Wrote:
(2013-11-06, 00:24)shortskoolbus Wrote: It's true OpenELEC boots so quickly, but then all your images have to be cached again on boot up and that takes time.

I have not experienced this delay.

The skin I use has widgets for movies/tv shows. The posters in the widgets are usually just blank until a few minutes after boot up. But I am serving content off a NAS, so maybe that has something to do with it.
I use a NAS w/ Confluence skin. No delay for me. Art should be cached and the network should not be a factor, unless maybe you are using MySQL, which I can't speak to. You may want to try a different skin and/or do a debut log and see if something is causing delay. Sounds like something is wrong.

May also try turning off library update on startup options, particularly if you have a very large music library, just to see if that makes a difference.
And the latest openelec 3.2 works ok with blu ray rips?
(2013-11-07, 09:29)vulgartrendkill Wrote: And the latest openelec 3.2 works ok with blu ray rips?
How long is a piece of string?

No it won't work on a 486 computer with a retarded video card.

Yes it will work on the right hardware.

What is your hardware?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-07, 09:45)nickr Wrote:
(2013-11-07, 09:29)vulgartrendkill Wrote: And the latest openelec 3.2 works ok with blu ray rips?
How long is a piece of string?

No it won't work on a 486 computer with a retarded video card.

Yes it will work on the right hardware.

What is your hardware?

Hi,

i've recently invested in a microserver n54l (2.2ghz dual core amd neo) with 6gb ram and a zotac 1gb gt610 graphics card.

I intend to install openelec on a 4gb thumb drive to put inside the machine with 6tb of storage.

After research, these specs should run openelec smoothly. I was referring more to the functionality of openelec itself, as, reading forum posts, it seems playing br rips should work as long as they are not 3D MVC format. However I have read differing accounts on how to achieve this. Such as using the makemkv add on.
MVC does not play in XBMC.

Decrypted BR rips will work fine with a GT610 and openelec.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
My 5 cents on OpenELEC:

I am running a first generation Pi (got it in October 2012 after a 4 month wait in the queue) with 256Mb memory. Tried all which was (and still is) available then: early alpha releases of Xbian and Raspbmc - never thought of OpenELEC, sounded too obscure .....

I installed this distro, that distro, this version, that version - they all worked to some extent, but with lots of hiccups. After all, they were alphas and betas. Raspbmc was the absolute worst in responsiveness and it woke me up many times in the middle of the night when it decided out of the blue to turn the TV on and light up the room....

Enough of that! Killed the disk and installed the latest Xbian. Worked for a while, updating was a PITA and new hiccups appeared. It froze, was sluggish, took ages to load a movie from the NAS etc. Then again, they were alphas and betas.

Back to Raspbmc on a new card. Yep, worked better for a while, pain to update, stalling here or there - in short a PITN as well!

Another copy of Xbian on another (reformatted) disk - same same old with improvements but not satisfactory at all.

Wify was getting peed off with my mucking around and with movies stopping in the middle of the action... divorce was imminent.

Then I remembered that there was a third choice which I had not tried before: OpenELEC

Cutting a long story short: ever since OpenELEC has been running my XBMC Frodo on my first generation PI and being remote controlled by either my Samsung Galaxy via Yatse or via a web interface from my desktop divorce is off the cards. This combination has been running so smoothly for months now. The Pi is always on, has never been turned off but rebooted once after a local power failure. I did buy the Yatse unlocker for less than a handful of $$ to get the extra features and it was worth every penny or cent wherever you come from.

My experience after all of this:

A basic Pi, OpenELEC (with XBMC incorporated) controlled by Yatse is the perfect family which is living in perfect harmony. Every bit of software updates itself without a single glitch.

Caveat: make sure that you and your wife are using the same remote or you are getting clashes - ie she is selecting movie A on her Yatse and you (one or two seconds later) are using your own Yatse to kick off movie B.

OpenELEC: my choice indeed - no worries mate!
Does anyone know if OpenELEC provides a means of running an internet browser, etc.? I suspect it doesn't, given that it's an embedded "appliance" O/S... I find XBMCbuntu is pretty ideal for peeps like myself because you can log out of the standalone XBMC and into a full-blown Linux O/S environment and do actual work (assuming that the husband-beatin' wife isn't watching TV Rofl).
Yes it has a Opera browser add on.
Ah, cool! Thanks for the info teeedubb! Whenever I upgrade my hardware, I'll sure give it a try...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Giving up on Windows, is OpenELEC the answer?0