My first Htpc(300-350$), need hw advice
Hi all, Big Grin

Im' about to build my first htpc, now that my wdtv g2 has dead.
So I think to start asking to u experts XD

As u can see my budget is maximum 350$ but if I can achieve what I want for 200$ obviusly it's better Tongue

My needs are to play primarly 1080p mkv on an external hdd.
so no gaming or else intensive.
One of the needs is the case. must be good looking and obviously as little as possible, better if not wide (nothing looking like an ampli or bd player) the deep it's not a problem.
Next I need a remote because I'll surely use my smartphone but I'm the only one to have it so if I'm out nobody can use the htpc and that's a problem.
The best solution is something that allows me to hibernate and de-hibernate the htpc so a mb and a remote that allows it

Both audio and video are sent only to the tv through hdmi cause I don't have an audio system yet.
The htpc has to be connected to wifi, I don't have an ethernet cable close to it

I have only doubt by now,
- In your opinion an internal bd player is a good thing, and xbmc read through it?
- I was thinking to use win7/8 + xbmc but yesterday I've discovered openelec..can u pls list the pros and cons of both the solutions?

ty in advance for your supportCool
Where are you located? That will help make suggestions for hardware.
Italy but buying in Europe is not a problem like amzn.co.uk or something else
bumpAngel
no one?Sad
Do a little research on these forums. Most would probably recommend a Zotac box or a Celeron NUC.

From my knowledge a blu-ray player in a HTPC will never be truely good, just get a dedicated blu-ray player (or PS3)

From your needs it seems like OpenELEC would suit you well.
(2013-05-17, 12:46)Toadvine Wrote: Most would probably recommend a Zotac box or a Celeron NUC.

Zotac box are something I'm not interested in, I'm looking to build by myself.
Looking for infos about nuc now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first Htpc(300-350$), need hw advice0