Some TV episodes not appearing on ATV2
Hi,

I'm running XBMC 12.2 on an ATV2. My media is hosted on a Windows 7 box using samba shares. I use Sickbeard and SABNZBD to automatically download TV shows from usenet. This has always worked until recently.

Lately, certain episodes do not appear within the season folders. For example, when I go to Game Of Thrones > Season 3, I only see episodes 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7. Episodes 1 and 6 are on the share and can be played on my PC, Mac and through the XBox 360 media player on two different XBoxes on other TV's.

For some reason, these episodes will not show up on XBMC no matter what I try. I've tried refreshing the library countless times, deleting the video source and re-adding it, and upgrading from Eden to Frodo. Tonight I even completely removed Frodo 12.1 from the ATV2 and reinstalled it from scratch. The same episodes are still not appearing. My first thought was something to do with file format or codec but the files in question don't seem to be any different than others that work.

Here is my debug log: Debug Log

In this log, I've restarted XBMC and navigated to TV Shows > Titles > Game Of Thrones > Season 3. I'm not sure if there is any other way to get better debug info about what files XBMC is picking up from the SMB share. If anyone has a suggestion I'll gladly re-run it.

One suspicion I have is that shows downloaded via sickbeard are the ones not appearing (currently testing this theory). This season, Game Of Thrones has been released on usenet with an archive password which causes sabnzbd to barf. I know for a fact that episodes 5 and 7 failed so i had to download them manually (and they appear). Episode 6 downloaded fine and does not appear. Could be a coincidence.

Thanks
Just did a quick test. I downloaded Game Of Thrones, S03E06 manually outside of sickbeard/sab and after a library update, episode 6 appears.
I think I may have figured why the episodes are not appearing, just not how to fix it.

When I compare the file properties of an episode that works to one that doesn't, I can see that the episode that works says "Shared With: Everyone" whereas the file that doesn't work (copied to my smb share through sickbeard) shows "Shared With:" (empty list).

I found this thread on the sickbeard forums: http://sickbeard.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1397
I've at least managed to get the files to show up on ATV2 now. The issue is definitely what was described in that sickbeard thread. To get my current library all appearing on ATV2, I did this:

1. Went to my windows shared directory that XBMC was using as a video source
2. Right Click > Properties
3. Select "Security" Tab
4. Click the "Advanced" button next to "For special permissions or advanced settings..."
5. In the "Permissions Entries", find and select "Everyone"
6. Click "Change Permissions"
7. In the dialog that appears, there is a checkbox at the bottom for "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object". Check it.
8. Click "Apply"
9. A dialog will appear asking if you want to continue. Say Yes.

This caused Windows to recursively go through all the folders and reset the permissions on the files. The files downloaded though sickbeard/sab now have the same sharing permissions as the main directory. Finally, I went to XBMC and forced a library update on my TV source. I can now see all my episodes.

This won't work for anything new that is downloaded going forward but at least there's a quick way to force windows to set the permissions properly. I'll be looking into setting this up as a post-processing script in sickbeard next.
On linux I would run a script via cron to chmod or chown (depending whether it is permission or ownership that is the true problem) all the files concerned on a regular basis. Can windows do something like that?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I read in the thread on the sickbeard forum that windows has a command called "icacls" that can do this. It would be easy to script in a bat file and then hook up to the post-processing of sickbeard.I never ended up trying this because so far, new episodes are being shared properly. Since I ran the command to "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" everything has been working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some TV episodes not appearing on ATV20