volume extremely low
Ok, i use the analog audio output on old TV.

In settings=>System=>Audio i have this configuration:

analog
boost volume level... ok
output stereo to all... ok

then i replacing fixup.dat and start.elf... But dont works
have you updated the advancedsetting.xml with downmix setting?s?
i think no. hoy can i do it? sorry i have the raspi 4 days
Ok, i create an "advancedsettings.xml" file in the configuration partition wiht this code

<advancedsettings>
<audio>
<ac3downmixgain>96.0</ac3downmixgain>
</audio>
</advancedsettings>

y make this file with: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...3Caudio.3E

but... dont works!!!
Ok, works!! thank you so much.
Hi folks.

I'm afraid my skills are not up to installing xbmc on a raspian wheezy build. I have tried openelec 3.0.6, xbian 1.1 and rasbmc with the same audio trouble as above although otherwise they work great. Is there any way of me applying this fix to those builds?

My setup is an old Toshiba 32inch CRT with a raspberry pi connected to it via composite and audio plugs via SCART. Everything plays just great but the audio is too quiet for anything to be enjoyed. Even tried fitting it with an old hifi amp and speakers but the distortion and buzz from the old amp running at nearly 100% volume made it impracticable.

Cheers for looking. Smile

Knowledge of Unix = One up on a cat due to opposable thumbs.
(2013-06-25, 13:13)popcornmix Wrote: I've made a fix to the firmware that allows volume to go above 100%.
If you download start.elf and fixup.dat from here:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware

and replace the ones on your boot partition, you should find the ac3downmixgain works.

Downloaded and replace files. Pi not boot now.
(2013-08-03, 12:45)Prayer Wrote:
(2013-06-25, 13:13)popcornmix Wrote: I've made a fix to the firmware that allows volume to go above 100%.
If you download start.elf and fixup.dat from here:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware

and replace the ones on your boot partition, you should find the ac3downmixgain works.

Downloaded and replace files. Pi not boot now.

Does putting back the original start.elf/fixup.dat fix it?
New builds will contain this fix, so it might be worth trying updating - perhaps try Openelec 3.1.5.
Is there anyway to adjust the gain for different sources?

For example, I find iPlayer streams much louder than LiveTV so if I crank up the ac3downmixgain for LiveTV, won't that make iPlayer extremely loud? I'm not sure how movies/series/videos compare to LiveTV but I've got a feeling they're louder (although not as loud as iPlayer) too. Then there's music to consider as well.
I've been using <ac3downmixgain>24.0</ac3downmixgain> and with that, at around -25 on-screen volume it's about the same volume as my PC, for TV and iPlayer.

However, playing movies there's a problem. Some movies, it's almost impossible to hear the dialogue but the sound effects are still quite loud, so if I turn the volume up to hear the dialogue (probably need to go to full) then the sound effects will be deafening. A couple of movies are quiet overall and need to be turned up to full to hear them but I guess the source was just bad and some need to be turned down to -30 or -35 and it's a pain to adjust the volume anyway because auto-repeat isn't working on the volume keys (OS issue) but they can be managed, it's the ones with the too quiet dialogue in comparison to the rest of the sounds that are a problem. I guess this is an issue with the mix applied, with not enough emphasis given to the centre channel.

I tested playing through all these movies on my PC with Mediaportal using the LAV filters and there's obviously some variance in volume between films but I never felt the need to adjust the volume on any of them, nor that the dialogue was overly quiet in comparison to the rest of the sounds.
(2013-08-15, 21:23)doveman2 Wrote: I've been using <ac3downmixgain>24.0</ac3downmixgain> and with that, at around -25 on-screen volume it's about the same volume as my PC, for TV and iPlayer.

However, playing movies there's a problem. Some movies, it's almost impossible to hear the dialogue but the sound effects are still quite loud, so if I turn the volume up to hear the dialogue (probably need to go to full) then the sound effects will be deafening. A couple of movies are quiet overall and need to be turned up to full to hear them but I guess the source was just bad and some need to be turned down to -30 or -35 and it's a pain to adjust the volume anyway because auto-repeat isn't working on the volume keys (OS issue) but they can be managed, it's the ones with the too quiet dialogue in comparison to the rest of the sounds that are a problem. I guess this is an issue with the mix applied, with not enough emphasis given to the centre channel.

I tested playing through all these movies on my PC with Mediaportal using the LAV filters and there's obviously some variance in volume between films but I never felt the need to adjust the volume on any of them, nor that the dialogue was overly quiet in comparison to the rest of the sounds.

I am having the same problem Smile Really hope someone can solve this
Actually, I have to take back what I said about the volume being equal between LiveTV and iPlayer. iPlayer is much louder and distorts at -25 and I have to drop it to -45 to be about the same level as LiveTV is at -25. All that's needed here is a way to automatically attenuate iPlayer down by the required amount and we wouldn't have to constantly be adjusting the volume when switching between LiveTV and iPlayer (and as it doesn't auto-repeat at the moment, pressing it 15-20 times to get it down enough isn't much fun).
Found another major issue with this. When playing back music, at say -40 as that's about right for the music I was playing, when rewinding or fast-forwarding when playback resumes it seems to be at maximum volume, which is obviously massively distorted and loud and stays like that until I press Vol- or +, when it returns to where it should be.

Obviously I can't take this risk so I'll have to disable this for now.
(2013-08-16, 13:49)zadx Wrote:
(2013-08-15, 21:23)doveman2 Wrote: I've been using <ac3downmixgain>24.0</ac3downmixgain> and with that, at around -25 on-screen volume it's about the same volume as my PC, for TV and iPlayer.

I am having the same problem Smile Really hope someone can solve this

I would like to share that my audio problem is solved by installing XBMC Audio Mixer (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...udio_Mixer ) . I also set the ac3downmixgain to 12.0

Hopefully this information helps.
(2013-08-18, 08:31)zadx Wrote: I would like to share that my audio problem is solved by installing XBMC Audio Mixer (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...udio_Mixer ) . I also set the ac3downmixgain to 12.0

Hopefully this information helps.

I've installed this but it doesn't say what it does or have any config I can adjust, so what does it do?

EDIT: From googling it, it looks like it's just designed to allow adjusting the overall system volume from within XBMC, which is really only applicable when running on a PC where the system volume might have been set to say 50% and thus is restricting the range available to XBMC. So it doesn't seem like this could help with the problems I've mentioned at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
volume extremely low2