• 8(current)
Is XBMC ever going to work smooth and be user friendly?
(2015-08-13, 07:38)Martijn Wrote: What bunch of bullshit

I thought this very thing roughly 7 times throughout that. This guy clearly hasn't been paying attention to the several dozen rewrites and fixes that cleared out old, crappy code and replaced it with simpler, cleaner, faster, and more efficient code, while separating components, eliminating absurd dependencies, and all-around fixing the absurd problems created by the coders that came before. He's obviously not paid attention to the work done to improve performance on embedded devices of all stripes. He's got no idea there are people who actually do work on this fulltime, who do absolutely astounding work.

He's like the person who thinks the world is getting worse and more violent, when we've never lived in safer times. He has assumptions, and no amount of actual facts will change those assumptions.

Plus, he thinks Kodi without add-ons is pointless, immediately invalidating pretty much the entire rest of his argument.

edit: There was so much stupid in that post that I missed some of it. Probably the best part was going on this huge rant about how Windows 3.1 was better than Windows 7 (which is idiotic). And then saying that the only way to improve software is to pay people to do it, which appears, on its surface, to directly contradict the first point, since people have been paid to improve Windows since its inception (to varying levels of success).
I am just impressed that i couldn't stop reading the whole bunch of text. Well there are 2 sorts of people who where born in the year of the 8088.

1. The ones who stick to practics of this era.
2. The ones who learn to enjoy the comfort of modern techniques.

I agree with multiple statements in his post (especially that coding is some kind of art and science), but in the end i am also unsure what the intention of posting it is about. Beside the fact that he generalised the whole bunch of current computer scientists to be worse then himself (while in the same text he stated that he would pack every code he writes into a single function for performance reasons - happy maintaining).

So - well - quiet unsure what to take out of this. If this is some sort of contribution i think i learned that we should have a minimum age limit for new team members or so. And they should be able to write ASM just so we can trust them. A lot of facts (more or less right-ish) which in the end don't motivate anyone at all (more pissing off people i think).

Man was just about to put that "i hate users" badge back under my nickname - but i don't want to get problems with the press again.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Quote:You're not doing bad for a bunch of youngsters

I think the average age has slipped into the 30s, if not higher.

Quote:you can ALWAYS do better, and you can ALWAYS make it faster. Right now Kodi is something that just works. it's written to work. -But push harder, and you can write something 1337.

Kodi is not a commercial project. We have no goal of global domination. If people only submitted perfect code then Kodi would not exist, at all. Kodi exists because it is something people do in their spare time. We could spend more time on everything possible, or we could just push it to a point that is "good enough" so that we can see our families and sunlight from time to time.

You just did a huge ass rant that basically says nothing. We can be better? We know that. We always strive for better, and we know the various shortcomings of Kodi. Not always being able to cancel out of a "loading" state is a big PITA, for example. We just do what we can do. You're not telling us anything that we didn't already know 10 years ago. It's patronizing for you to rant on like this, calling us "youngster". It's not perfect or nothing, because perfect never comes for a project like this. If it was a commercial project then it probably wouldn't be open source, strive to support low-power hardware, or it would limit what you could view with DRM.

Quote:but let's face it, Kodi without addons is like beer without alcohol-who gives a !@#$, and what's the point??
I don't drink beer. I've tried many beers, and I think they taste like shit.

I also don't care about most add-ons, including the pirate/bootleg streaming ones that you specifically mentioned. Maybe I'm not most people, but we don't develop for most people. We develop for crazy eccentric home theater lovers who want to use Kodi with their local file library. That's the point.

You had some very valid points in your rant, but they're all lost on the patronizing tone and assumptions that we're a bunch of kids who don't know any better. So, ya know, screw you, buddy. Have a nice day.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC ever going to work smooth and be user friendly?4