• 3(current)
Is XBMC ever going to work smooth and be user friendly?
(2013-05-16, 21:30)xiii Wrote: I have it installed, but it didn't do anything to the problem.
So new items show up in your library, but don't show up in homescreen as recent? Then try another skin like Aeon Nox and make sure to set it to get recent item info every time home screen is entered. Maybe the default skin does not support this.

Bring some motivation along though, setting up Aeon to show recent stuff isn't for the faint-hearted.

If items don't show up in your library after putting them into monitored folders and updating the library, you either:
- can't connect to the remote DB's (not XBMC's fault)
- named them in a way the scrapers can't resolve the info (not XBMC's fault)
(2013-05-16, 21:30)xiii Wrote:
(2013-05-16, 18:18)cruse Wrote:
(2013-05-15, 15:38)xiii Wrote: the library updates are very unreliable, meaning I can rarely find the new TV shows or movies from the "recently added" thing on the home screen or even from TV Shows or Movies folders, which use TVDB/MovieDB.

Install the Library Watchdog addon. Maybe this will rekindle your subtle love for XBMC.

I have it installed, but it didn't do anything to the problem.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...t_of_order

Besides that properly naming your files is key. You fail to do that XBMC will fail to add it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-05-16, 21:58)cruse Wrote:
(2013-05-16, 21:30)xiii Wrote: I have it installed, but it didn't do anything to the problem.
So new items show up in your library, but don't show up in homescreen as recent? Then try another skin like Aeon Nox and make sure to set it to get recent item info every time home screen is entered. Maybe the default skin does not support this.

Bring some motivation along though, setting up Aeon to show recent stuff isn't for the faint-hearted.

If items don't show up in your library after putting them into monitored folders and updating the library, you either:

I can find the files from VIDEOS / FILES / TV, but if I go straight to TV SHOWS, they're not there (I mean, sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. Same thing with movie folder). They also often don't appear on homescreen's "recently added" area. I've used also refocus big and a friend of mine with similar issues used Aeon Nox.

(2013-05-16, 22:02)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-05-16, 21:30)xiii Wrote:
(2013-05-16, 18:18)cruse Wrote: Install the Library Watchdog addon. Maybe this will rekindle your subtle love for XBMC.

I have it installed, but it didn't do anything to the problem.

Besides that properly naming your files is key. You fail to do that XBMC will fail to add it.

I haven't thought of that (the added files come pre named), I'll have to pay more attention on the naming and see if that helps. Thanks!
(2013-05-16, 22:08)xiii Wrote: I can find the files from VIDEOS / FILES / TV, but if I go straight to TV SHOWS, they're not there (I mean, sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. Same thing with movie folder). They also often don't appear on homescreen's "recently added" area. I've used also refocus big and a friend of mine with similar issues used Aeon Nox.
Finding them in VIDEOS / FILES / TV doesn't necessarily mean they show up in TV Shows. For that to happen, the according folder's (and subfolders) content has to be set to TV Shows. Make sure that's the case. Otherwise they naturally won't show up as recents for TV Shows either.

In the case of Aeon Nox you have to tell the skin explicitly to refresh the recents, every time the home screen is entered.
(2013-05-16, 22:15)cruse Wrote:
(2013-05-16, 22:08)xiii Wrote: I can find the files from VIDEOS / FILES / TV, but if I go straight to TV SHOWS, they're not there (I mean, sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. Same thing with movie folder). They also often don't appear on homescreen's "recently added" area. I've used also refocus big and a friend of mine with similar issues used Aeon Nox.
Finding them in VIDEOS / FILES / TV doesn't necessarily mean they show up in TV Shows. For that to happen, the according folder's (and subfolders) content has to be set to TV Shows. Make sure that's the case. Otherwise they naturally won't show up as recents for TV Shows either.

In the case of Aeon Nox you have to tell the skin explicitly to refresh the recents, every time the home screen is entered.

The content is set to TV shows, and most of the episodes show up there no problem, but somehow some of them don't. I like the default skin but I might try Aeon Nox if it's easier to fix.
changing skin won't fix anything (sorry but that bad advice)

Read this too:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...ing_videos

that's all you need to know
(2013-05-15, 15:38)xiii Wrote: ...I can't help but wonder why the development team keeps adding relatively useless features, when the software itself still has lots of problems and bugs...

Sorry, we're all employed by Github. It's all we know.
(2013-05-16, 23:02)althekiller Wrote:
(2013-05-15, 15:38)xiii Wrote: ...I can't help but wonder why the development team keeps adding relatively useless features, when the software itself still has lots of problems and bugs...

Sorry, we're all employed by Github. It's all we know.

LMAO
(2013-05-16, 22:08)xiii Wrote:
(2013-05-16, 21:58)cruse Wrote:

I can find the files from VIDEOS / FILES / TV, but if I go straight to TV SHOWS, they're not there (I mean, sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. Same thing with movie folder). They also often don't appear on homescreen's "recently added" area. I've used also refocus big and a friend of mine with similar issues used Aeon Nox.

(2013-05-16, 22:02)Martijn Wrote:

I haven't thought of that (the added files come pre named), I'll have to pay more attention on the naming and see if that helps. Thanks!

May I suggest trying filebot to semi automate the renaming process
I find it works well...Just drop a folder on the app and tell it if it contains a movie or tv show and it renames the files correctly.
It can also be used in scripts to fully automate the process
Amlogic will release M8 chipset on June, and bulk chipset production to be available on OCT.
only if Geniatech going to change its solution.
I think this is kind of just ridiculous. I can only talk about Frodo release since I think I rarely really used Eden. Since Frodo though I've rarely ran into a crash. Is the interface a little hard to navigate DEPENDENT on skin? Yes. However lets break this down. HTPC is home theater personal computer. XBMC runs a software for this. Now Home Theater Personal Computer is a BROAD concept. Some people use it for movies, tv shows, streaming, live sports, live TV, DVR, GAMING, etc, there are SO many uses that it's a wonder XBMC can handle so many of them. Can you name another software that works better than XBMC for HTPC use? I can't. I remember when I first wanted to organize my movies I loaded WMC up and did some work with it. Got no where real fast. Then, I FINALLY tried XBMC, after a long time of saying I never would (for no good reason either). Boom, it scraped all my movies or 95% of them, and 70% of my tvshow library. I didn't know of the naming conventions back then so I learned them and worked on getting all my stuff to scrape. Then recently I learned of TheRenamer which helped a ton. Now my whole library shows up. Then I have the 1channel addon for shows I haven't yet added or that are on my other PC, and I have my Sports Devil app for watching live sports. In fact, not only do I have these apps, they make using those websites a better experience than actually GOING to them. No more ads, just click on a stream and it works. It's AMAZING.

Where does XBMC run into trouble?

Interface - The interface can sometimes be hard to navigate. SOMETIMES. But, I attribute this as a learning curve of the interface. Windows 8 was also hard for me to pick up, and so was using Apple's OSX. My productivity in OSX is so low that I refuse to use it in school, and will ask to go home to use my windows laptop if the classroom only has Apple computers (almost every week in my English class).

Hardware - So many hardware configurations are used for XBMC. It's amazing XBMC can run on so many different hardware configurations given you are reasonable in what you ask. My Athlon 64+ 3200 with 4 gigs of ram and got only knows what videocard I have in that rig still runs XBMC confluence quite well. My brother's 400 dollar Asus laptop with a weak i3, 4 gigs of ram, no GFX card, runs Confluence easily when watching movies using XBMC from my XBMC library. I showed him XBMC and he switched to using it with the 1channel app + my tvshow and movie library and never looked back. The MetaData, lack of ads, etc. is just amazing.

Operating Systems - XBMC runs on a LOT of operating systems. It's amazing they're able to support them all. It's hard to. But yet XBMC STILL manages to have stable releases that are able to use a WIDE variety of OSes and Hardware.

Price - XBMC IS FREE. People are making contributions for FREE! Yet, we're wondering if it will ever be polished? The answer is YES I think it will be. In fact, I think we're almost there. I remember I had a large number of reserves about moving to XBMC. Mainly that the streaming wasn't as easy as Tversity, and you couldn't stream to remote locations or something like that. Either way, I was upset about a number of features so I didn't adopt it. Now, all these features are there. Not only that, they're in a pretty interface, with tons more metadata than I could ever hope for. I had started adding this data MANUALLY in WMP because I wanted to stream easily with that data. Now it's a joke. XBMC does everything.

All in all, you ask if it will work smooth and be user friendly? I think we're ALMOST at that point. XBMC's MAIN problem to me is not smoothness (it's smooth as hell), not that it's not user friendly (any new software has a learning curve and XBMC is a brand new interface you have to interact with, try switching your cable to a new provider an being able to find what you want as fast as you used to). It's tutorials. Why hadn't I heard of TheRenamer, Fold Monkey, Sickbeard, etc. without EXTENSIVE searches on google using all types of different terms. Information isn't easy to find sometimes. You get general setup and that's it. Some things of course can't be talked about here for setup, but I think XBMC should definitely consider adding a section on applications that work well with XBMC that could help people out like TheRenamer and FoldMonkey. Let people know they exist. That's my only tip.

Otherwise, I don't even know how I lived without XBMC. Truly an amazing problem, I'll be donating as soon as I get a job now that I'm out of college to support this.600 movies and 150 full television series in my library which I can sort by Genre, Rating, etc. I had never dreamed of this being possible I'm very VERY happy.
(2013-05-18, 16:34)tential Wrote: It's tutorials. Why hadn't I heard of TheRenamer, Fold Monkey, Sickbeard, etc. without EXTENSIVE searches on google using all types of different terms. Information isn't easy to find sometimes. You get general setup and that's it. Some things of course can't be talked about here for setup, but I think XBMC should definitely consider adding a section on applications that work well with XBMC that could help people out like TheRenamer and FoldMonkey. Let people know they exist. That's my only tip.

This already exist...Supplementary Tools for XBMC ...people just dont take the time to search

If my replies help you, please click on my reputation Image below :) thanks :)
(2013-05-18, 19:36)saitoh183 Wrote:
(2013-05-18, 16:34)tential Wrote: It's tutorials. Why hadn't I heard of TheRenamer, Fold Monkey, Sickbeard, etc. without EXTENSIVE searches on google using all types of different terms. Information isn't easy to find sometimes. You get general setup and that's it. Some things of course can't be talked about here for setup, but I think XBMC should definitely consider adding a section on applications that work well with XBMC that could help people out like TheRenamer and FoldMonkey. Let people know they exist. That's my only tip.

This already exist...Supplementary Tools for XBMC ...people just dont take the time to search

That's funny, all the Google searches I did and I never got linked to that page. I guess we get into the problem of you can't find it if you don't know exactly what you're searching. Thanks for that link.

I guess I should say "If people read the full wiki first then they enjoy XBMC a lot more!" Although some of the pages still need to be updated so it can be a little confusing at times Haha.

And if you don't fiddle with all the settings. Seriously, I have a weird habit of clicking on a setting window 20-50 times just to see what it is there and make sure I didn't miss anything. Accidently changing a setting while browsing settings is probably the biggest thing that makes me annoyed haha.

Learn new things everyday that makes this more fun to use.
I personally think that XBMC is VERY user friendly! Yes some of the settings and navigation can be confusing at first but is this not the case with all software? I mean if you get to the point where you don't like something you can literally edit it within the skin or create a new one if you like. You can change every button on a remote/keyboard to a different one if you do not like it. It's open source as well so if something is broken for you, or you have a better/new idea for a feature you can submit it to the team. Now THAT is user friendly!

Also just to add, with what Tential said
Quote: It's tutorials. Why hadn't I heard of TheRenamer, Fold Monkey, Sickbeard, etc. without EXTENSIVE searches on google using all types of different terms.

Now to be honest I have never heard of TheRenamer, or Fold Monkey but I just searched for "automatic tv downloader" on google and the first result has Sickbeard in it and it even mentions XBMC. Yes there is lots of third party software but it is exactly that, you've probably not heard of it as it is third party. Remember it is all free software normally kept up to date by a team in their spare time so they might not say exactly what it is integrated with.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
My take on when XBMC will reach it's prime is based on when ANY hardware will be able to run it at it's full potential without slowdowns for very cheap.

2-6 years from now, when Intel's Silvermount is mature, it's going to be game over. Intel has decided to implement tick tock to it's Atom type processors. Just for a reference, after Intel got trashed around 2005-2007 by AMD's Athlon 64 which destroyed Pentium 4's, Intel got back to being serious and release the Core2Duo processors (Conroe). These chips were monsters. Not only did they destroy AMD, they overclocked. You could buy the low end one an OC it to their $1000 premium chip levels. Intel has said they will now start this development on Atom type processors. I'm guessing within 2 years we see intel have extreme dominance and in this extreme mobile/mini PCs. Development of XBMC + Hardware that's cheap enough that $200 dollars gets you the majority of things to run flawlessly, beautifully, without slowdowns or even a thought of "Can this handle XBMC?" is when I think it will reach it's prime. I'm excited for Silvermount though for the mobile/ultrasmall PC market. When intel released Conroe it changed the desktop scene forever. Replacing your PC because it's too slow takes MUCH longer. If this type of performance reaches our hands in the ultra mobile/small pc market, we'll all be in a very happy place.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC ever going to work smooth and be user friendly?4