• 4(current)
New box: G-box midnight mx2
(2013-07-19, 14:24)qvision Wrote: Having done all that i am now looking at this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINIX-HD-PC-In...3f26c404aa

Avoid it ...
it has
Intel GMA 3650 650MHz

really avoid it...
Mostly streaming from online here but have been very satisfied so far.

(2013-06-13, 10:16)solamnic Wrote: Please share your actual experience in here when you get one Smile
im seriously disappointed in this product. I have it connected to my surround sound and the audio comes in and out every few minutes.. (its really annoying) some files hang when they played just fine a week ago. I read that it supported amazon instant video... it does not (wish it would.) All of a sudden netflix does not work anymore, they have skype and other video chat apps that are basically not supported. I bought this to replace my htpc since it was on its way out and i totally regret it. So much hype over a product that in my opinion, has the same quality as something you would buy off dealextreme. For damn near 100 bucks, this product should work smoothly. All kidding aside, in a day or so im tossing this crap in the garbage and going back to using my htpc and apple tv even though it is 2 seperate devices, I had better quality and performance. If you are reading this and you are considering to buy one of these boxes, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! I love media centers and this is a serious failure, what makes it worse is that i bought one for my bro and i feel like I failed.

(also note that i had to change a ton of surround sound settings in order for it to play through all speaker)
p.s i had this device 1 month
(2013-07-19, 14:16)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-07-19, 12:42)qvision Wrote: I bought the Linux version that direct-boots into XBMC, courtesy of the j1nx website.
I paid £85 on ebay and see that it's 64 euros (£53) on the j1nx website !

Anyway it works very well but is in beta using Frodo 12.0.

1080p is rock-solid.

I would like to use Android but from what i've read it's just too choppy on the single-core midnight.

didnt know tha mx2 can boot directly into linux....

You can, there is a alpha version that a member (Jaybob) is working on. Even though it's only an "alpha" version it works really well.
It appears there site is down at the moment. I believe I have all the versions that are available if anyone wants to try them let me know.
Intel I3-4130 | Asus H81T/CSM | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB Crucial M4| KODI 14.1
SilverStone Milo ML06
(2013-06-13, 10:16)solamnic Wrote: Please share your actual experience in here when you get one Smile

Mistake post, wrong forum, but I can't delete this post.
I don't normally post but I feel I should, I have a mx2 and don't rate it well at all.
It is only 1 week old after the first one locked up on the boot logo and I had it replaced .Running xbmc it is very unresponsive and slow ,trying to get navi x to run nearly always ends up in having to switch the box off .
I've tried wireless and wired connections both are about the same- slow ,the remote I feel is very poor quality for the price of the box ,the box itself is very hot when switched on.
All in all I bought this box after reading very good reviews saying the mx2 version was the best ,I don't agree and will be looking for something else
I must add I have xbmc on my galaxy s3 ,nexus7 tablet and my pc and it's great ,I love the programme which is why I bought a dedicated media player (mistake buying this one ) I paid £108 for it ,what a waste
i own one of these and it has worked very well for streaming from the web and playinf files from my NAS, the only thing it has trouble on is the 1080p stream files from my HDHomeRun but according to their forums 1080p isnt fully working yet (havent checked since mid june due to a move).
altho not perfect,
people seem happy with the OUYA box + XBMC Gotham Alpha 1 version.
Hardware Decode works good from what im reading.
And for mx2 if someone reads the reviews in amazon.com, he will be persuaded o buy it Smile ...

Lets hope that ouya xbmc wont be like mx2 Wink
Bought one of these. Pff, its not bad. Software feels a bit half done. Works well enough streaming stuff over SMB and from Icefilms, 1chan etc, so long as used with Ethernet. The wifi on the device is next to useless. Peeps on the forum making all kinds of suggestions about RF interference and so on..LOL. Its the only device of about 12 we have that dosnt like our wifi..We have 3 different routers and it dosnt like any of them..Hmm, possibly spending an extra few pence on a decent antenna eh Matricom? Couldnt help but notice that XBMC is almost maxing out the both cpus to display its interface..Presumably it only uses hardware for decoding? I suspect this device will never do 1080 under Android, despite what the Devs say. Also, it seems to run out of ram very quickly and glitches out til rebooted. Apparently the Linux install someone is working on will and does. Hard to recommend this box but the Mrs is happy enough with it so..
(2013-07-28, 14:58)degriz Wrote: Hard to recommend this box but the Mrs is happy enough with it so..

Wife factor is a major +++++++++++++ Nod
I haven't been a big fan of Gbox MX2, but they nearly have a Linux build working, which is a game changer for me.
Can you post link; any tests on it ;
Here is the link to the Beta Linux build by jaybob http://matricom.net/forum/discussion/58/...uild-27jul
I post this since someone may need this

GBOX mx2 official update 1.1.5.
http://matricom.net/forums/#/discussion/...a-released

Changelog
Matricom MX2 1.1.5

Update default Apps
Updated OTA + addition of APK repo
Wi-Fi tweaked (47000kbps via speedtest.net)
WPS Auth fixed, scan time added
Miracast updated (Widi, WFD settings, libstagefrieghtwfd)
Airplay updated, DVB app added (drivers finalized)
Apple Display via HDMI + Apple Touchpads added
WFD updated in settings for Mcast
Android HW Keyboard Option added
Framework (no-telephony) WFD & Airplay
MediaProvider updater, lightened
DRM provider, widevine lightened
PnP tweaks, needed to auto add pass invited device
(accepted) for auto-authentication
Playstore, device edited for additional app compatibility
(stops the "no for this device" error)
ALSA change, updated

This update appears to be kernel/ROM update only. This does not appear to be a XBMC update and according to the onscreen prompt APP updates will be released at a later date (2-3 Weeks according to the prompt).

Enjoy... Wink
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New box: G-box midnight mx22