• 5(current)
New box: G-box midnight mx2
(2013-08-06, 16:16)Mibuix0r Wrote: Here is the link to the Beta Linux build by jaybob http://matricom.net/forum/discussion/58/...uild-27jul

Also there is another Linux build for the Midnight MX2 here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=2418029

Both versions look really good on the under $100 device.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
Yeah. the Linux builds are looking pretty good. The underlying board seems to have attracted a few developers, which is nice Smile
I'm enjoying my MX2 a hell of a lot. I got it in mid-August. XBMC clearly needs some work on on this box as 1080p streaming isn't working, but I can pop out to android and stream my 1080p movies if the great-looking 720p output isn't enough.

Overall, it's great having a versatile Android + XMBC box for under $100. It can do everything good old XBMC can do, plus I have the whole Android market at my disposal. It's fun to tinker with too. I'd highly recommend it for those who don't have an htpc around and don't want to incur the cost of building/getting one.
erm...

recommend a box that does not output 1080p?
(2013-09-04, 22:30)solamnic Wrote: erm...

Why would you want to buy a box that is not capable of 1080p?
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
(2013-09-04, 22:30)solamnic Wrote: erm...

The current Android build may not, but don't the new Linux builds do 1080p? I see that this box is not well liked in this forum because of the company that represents it, but none-the-less, performance of this box is very solid running XBMC. Sure it has flaws, but so do most of these pre $100 boxes that run on the ARM platform.

My personal experience has been great and I will continue to recommend it over any other box out there, including the Ouya, which has been a HUGE disappointment running XBMC!
Linux builds for mx2 tend to crash a lot..
Another disappointment...
(2013-06-17, 15:01)Cypher64 Wrote:
(2013-06-17, 05:51)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2013-06-17, 05:22)Cypher64 Wrote: If you are looking at playing files from your network, in my experience, don't get this unit. Even playing small files which both my Nuc on Openelec and my Wdtv live streaming played flawlessly the mx2 struggled and constantly dropped frames under the same conditions as the other 2 players.

I'm so sorry to hear that your having issues streaming media over your network. All of my media is streamed and I've had no issues what-so-ever playing my network based files from my unRAID box or from internet resources. This is why I posted a video to show that this box is not only snappy, but can play networked media over a wired ethernet connection. I'd troubleshoot my network a bit more before giving up on the MX2.. Good Luck!

I wouldn't think it would be my network as both my Nuc and WDTV plays the same files from the same cable I tried the MX2 on. Are there any other setting in the MX2 that need to be changed? Everything is DHCP and the MX2 is set to DCHP..
No its how you have it set up and or your network this box plays everything the WD does every bit as smoothly and of all the xbmc boxes that are android based there is none better then the mx2

(2013-06-17, 05:51)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2013-06-17, 05:22)Cypher64 Wrote: If you are looking at playing files from your network, in my experience, don't get this unit. Even playing small files which both my Nuc on Openelec and my Wdtv live streaming played flawlessly the mx2 struggled and constantly dropped frames under the same conditions as the other 2 players.

I'm so sorry to hear that your having issues streaming media over your network. All of my media is streamed and I've had no issues what-so-ever playing my network based files from my unRAID box or from internet resources. This is why I posted a video to show that this box is not only snappy, but can play networked media over a wired ethernet connection. I'd troubleshoot my network a bit more before giving up on the MX2.. Good Luck!

I wouldn't think it would be my network as both my Nuc and WDTV plays the same files from the same cable I tried the MX2 on. Are there any other setting in the MX2 that need to be changed? Everything is DHCP and the MX2 is set to DCHP..
No its how you have it set up and or your network this box plays everything the WD does every bit as smoothly and of all the xbmc boxes that are android based there is none better then the mx2
Really glad I finally found the answer here to why I can't get a video setting for 1080p to appear in XBMC on my new MX2: apparently there isn't one. Not yet anyway. I've been searching and reading various forums for hours.

So... what to do... I suppose I'll wait and see if there will be any system updates. The Linux project seems very promising but too early for a noob like me to try. So waiting it is. Smile
(2013-09-10, 23:13)barbrit Wrote:
(2013-06-17, 05:51)CpTHOOK Wrote: I'm so sorry to hear that your having issues streaming media over your network. All of my media is streamed and I've had no issues what-so-ever playing my network based files from my unRAID box or from internet resources. This is why I posted a video to show that this box is not only snappy, but can play networked media over a wired ethernet connection. I'd troubleshoot my network a bit more before giving up on the MX2.. Good Luck!

(2013-06-17, 05:51)CpTHOOK Wrote: I'm so sorry to hear that your having issues streaming media over your network. All of my media is streamed and I've had no issues what-so-ever playing my network based files from my unRAID box or from internet resources. This is why I posted a video to show that this box is not only snappy, but can play networked media over a wired ethernet connection. I'd troubleshoot my network a bit more before giving up on the MX2.. Good Luck!

No, my network is setup correctly (Network Admin). I have tried this unit at a friends house with the same results, also it stutters off a usb drive. The unit that I have is a POS.
This is/was (gave it away) the 2nd unit I've had and both were the same trying to play through network or local usb drives. The second unit, a replacement unit, actually had screws missing on the bottom. So someone obviously pulled it apart before it shipped. I had high hopes for this unit, but ended up being thoroughly disappointed. I emailed Matricom and the vender I used in Canada about getting it exchanged again and received no reply to either
Intel I3-4130 | Asus H81T/CSM | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB Crucial M4| KODI 14.1
SilverStone Milo ML06
I just got the box last night and have spent a couple of hours playing around with it. I have a couple of newb questions:
1. edited
2. When I try to use the TV Portal app the video player that came installed starts the box blinking. I uninstalled the BS player but it still does the same. Any ideas?

3. I installed fusion and added a few repositories but I can not find where the items I selected (like MashUp) went. Can anyone please help?
Thanks.
(2013-09-20, 19:28)loaferman Wrote: I just got the box last night and have spent a couple of hours playing around with it. I have a couple of newb questions:
1. I can not find navix except as a paid app in the play store. What is the best way to get Navix on the box?

lol.............you'd better remove your questions about Navi-X before the XBMC cops get on you!!Nod
(2013-09-20, 19:32)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2013-09-20, 19:28)loaferman Wrote: I just got the box last night and have spent a couple of hours playing around with it. I have a couple of newb questions:
1. I can not find navix except as a paid app in the play store. What is the best way to get Navix on the box?

lol.............you'd better remove your questions about Navi-X before the XBMC cops get on you!!Nod

Thanks, newbie mistake. I deleted the question about how to get it on the box. Thanks for the alert.
(2013-09-20, 19:28)loaferman Wrote: ...

3. I installed fusion and added a few repositories but I can not find where the items I selected (like MashUp) went. Can anyone please help?
Thanks.

After you've installed the addon and it flashes up 'addon enabled' or whatever, you then have to choose 'Get Add-on'.

So getting it from the repository just downlaods and enables it, you then install it by selecting it from 'get addons' where you see a list of the ones you have dl'd from the repo.

It's friday and im a bit drunk so i hope that all makes sense !

QV.

BTW, there is a good set of tutorials regarding XBMC on youtube.

The guy's name is xbmchelper.
Ok got a problem i hope one of you can help with. When i got to select the XBMC player on the box it just goes back to the screen i tried to click on for the XBMC player.I cant actually get onto the player anymore. Any fixes for this.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New box: G-box midnight mx22